• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2004 R1150 GS Alternator Pulley Belt

You should be able to remove the broken bolt from the back, but I can't see the specifics of your situation.

However, provided your bike didn't have a defective bolt, you could experience the same thing if you reattempt whatever it was that you did to break the bolt. Exactly what were you trying to do, using what specifications, and at what point did things go wrong?

Well, as I explained before, that's the wrong procedure for your bike. If you feel like actually solving the problem, I think visiting a dealer is your best option; either for them to do the work or for you to borrow/buy the correct tool.

Just to clarify things, can you give us some more info? What is the production date of your bike (should be on the frame sticker near the steering head, showing month and year) and what is the part number of the belt you have? Also, does your upper alternator pulley have a finely splined inner ring and a part number ending in 716?

04 1150 gsA

Hi all. I `m 5,7 And I want to get this bike from a friend. Of course is to tall for me.
Any way to lower it a couple ",seat,shock etc.
Is it a good year, any bad experience w/it?. I`m selling my 03 650 gs.
Thanks Mario

Hi all. I `m 5,7 And I want to get this bike from a friend. Of course is to tall for me.
Any way to lower it a couple ",seat,shock etc.
Is it a good year, any bad experience w/it?. I`m selling my 03 650 gs.
Thanks Mario

mario- if you want your questions answered, here's a few suggestions:
1) learn to use the search function. these type of questions (lowering a GS?, good year/concerns?) have been asked a gazillion times, and the answers haven't changed any.
2) if you have a new question, don't piggyback onto a barely related thread- start your own.
3) if you do # 2, you will likely get a few answers that sound just like my answer #1, along with direct answers from a bunch of guys who love repeating themselves from the last time someone asked the same questions because they love telling people about what they've done to make their perfect bike perfect for them, and you should love it too!

Last edited:
So what are the differences (are pulleys different and is the belt different) and when did they implement them? Did they switch over partway through a model range?

Pulley and belt are different. BMW switched the belt/pulley mid cycle on the '04 1150 GS. If your bike was made before July 2003 it has the older belt and pulley. After 7/03 new Elast belt and pully.

IIRC, someone, perhaps Paul Glaves, posted that the tool used to tension the Elast belt adjusted the distance between the two nearest pulley rims to 116 mm.
With that bit of info I made a spacer that length and levered the alternator up so that the spacer fit between the pulleys and tightened the bolts.
It seemed pretty simple, unless I missed something; which is entirely possible.:)

Back