• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Planes, Train's and Motorcycles. A short camping trip.

C

ChiTown

Here's a few pics from a one night two-up camping trip I took.

The Sunday morning I went camping on actually started at a gig in Hollywood, then like this at LAX. Sleeping in the baggage claim for 4 hours, then flying at 7AM.

I landed in Chicago at 1PM, jumped on a CTA train, packed and was on the road by 3PM.
It was a beautiful day 80??F and sunny, though it was windy as hell with 25-35MPH winds. I was glad I wasn't going too far, only 90 miles since I was heading directly into the wind.
We set out to camp at Lake Shabbona State Park, a lake close to where I grew up, and known for good fishing.

There was some fishing involved, but I was unsuccessful.
Hey, trying to baitcast from shore with 30MPH winds and plenty of obstacles sucks, that my story and I'm sticking to it...

Apparently, Canadian Geese here can walk on water.

Garlic pesto fry bread, hmmmmm
Since there was no fish we had to resort to some Mountain House Spaghetti, still quite tasty.

img0465lv6.jpg

As promised, a storm front came through at about 9PM, raining hard for about two hours. Good thing I gave everything of mine a fresh coat of Minwax, so we stayed dry.

It was a nice, brisk 55??F sunrise. It was still windy, but our campsite had some decent protection from the tree's.

Packed and ready to go with the predictable thumbs up.

Lake Shabbona State Park

It's nice to see more of these being built here in Illinois.

After having some breakfast at a diner, I headed down to Starved Rock State Park, located on the Illinois River.

I headed back into the city and finished out the day at the Hot Dog Meet with the Chicago Region BMW owners association.

Short and sweet.
:D

-Joe

Joe, that's a hell of a day. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Maybe it's a Mid-west thing, I am from the Northest, but what the hell is Mountain House Spaghetti.

Joe, that's a hell of a day. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Maybe it's a Mid-west thing, I am from the Northest, but what the hell is Mountain House Spaghetti.

It's a freeze dried backpacker meal, good stuff. Available at REI, or most outdoor stores.

Cool report and nice pictures, too. That's a sweet R you've got there. Thanks for having us along.

Hey Joe, I am curious, how many mega bytes is that camera? It took some really good photos.

Back