Thread: Info on Velorex 562 mounting on K75

Info on Velorex 562 mounting on K75

Just bought a Velorex 562 sidecar and need info on how to mount it to a K75S. Pix of where and how you fastened it to the bike would be great.

Since the K bikes don't have a lower frame, you'll need to fabricate (or buy) a subframe, to give you something to which you can attach the lower sidecar struts. Designing and building a suitable subframe is not for the faint of heart. Frankly, if you can buy one, it will be worth the money.

Considering the difficulty you face in marrying the 562 to the K75, I suggest you contact Dauntless Motors in WA and see if they can supply what you need. The hardware bits and pieces are pretty much exclusive to sidecars, and you won't find much that's useful at your local hardware store.

Note that the Velorex is a little lightweight, even for a K75. Consider upgrading the Velorex struts and clamps to something stouter, and also upgrading the Velorex sidecar axle.

If you have not yet driven a sidecar rig, bear in mind that a three-wheeler is VERY different from a 2-wheeler. The book Driving A Sidecar Outfit is available at 800 736-1117. For information about the Sidecar/Trike Education Program, contact the Evergreen Safety Council at 800 521-0778 or www.esc.org. My advice is to take the course somewhere while you're still doing the installation, to prepare you to drive a rig.

Note that I have requested a "Sidecar Gathering" seminar at the MOA national in West Bend. You might join us and bring your questions.

pmdave

Thanks, the car I am getting has the larger axle. I am a graduate engineer and a fairly good machinist and fabricator/blacksmith/welder having built working models of antique gas and steam engines as well as a minibike from scratch. What I would like to see is where other people attached the subframe to their K75s. I agree that the Velorex clamps leave something to be desired. I am a believer in using custom fit machined clamps that fully surround the tubes. I built custom bag mounts for my F650CS that work well without drilling any holes in the bike. Stronger than the standard bag mounts on the K75.

I am not an agressive rider (driver?) and my passenger weighs all of 110 lbs. I will get the book on how to ride a sidecar. Reason for the K75/562 combination is that I have the K75S and the sidecar was available in-state. I am not able to make the rally this year but have heard David Hough speak about sidecar riding in Lima two years ago.

Thanks for the tips.

Consultant,

Sounds like you are on the right track. Having the talents to design and fabricate mean a lot. Strength of the sidecar attachment isn't just for aggressive driving; the side loads on a three wheeler are significant just in a normal turn.

The subframe concept is to use as many existing fastener locations as possible to attach a rigid structure where you need it--in your case under the engine. For K bikes, the better subframes attach at the steering head--actually the subframe starts with a second "steering head" attached with it's own bearings to a longer steering stem that extends below the lower triple clamp as well as above. That's not the only possibility, but the location of the radiator reduces the options.

Moving down the frame, the engine mounting bolts under the radiator provide two good attachment points--with suitable brackets. Threaded adapter brackets can be captured on the inside of the mounting bossses by longer engine mount bolts.

The next point of attachment is the (former) centerstand holes in the bottom of the transmission. There really aren't any fasteners on the engine that are suitable to attach to. The centerstand is no longer needed for the three-wheeler, and it's a strong location. There are also two large bolts attaching the transmission to the frame stubs, and longer bolts here will provide suitable attachments for the rear ends of the two lower subframe tubes. I suggest that the subframe should be attached on both sides of the engine, and cross braced at front and rear.

Round tubing has better tortional resistance, but for cross bracing square tubing is easier to work with.

Normally there will be two lower main struts from the sidecar frame over to the subframe on the motorcycle. It is preferable to make the attachment with large spherical rod ends (Heim joints) to allow for alignment. The rod ends can be captured in mild steel U shaped clevises bolted to the subframe. One or both of the sidecar lower attachment struts should have adjustment for length, to enable toe-in alignment.

Two upper, smaller diameter struts go from the top of the sidecar frame to some handy location on the motorcyle frame to form triangles. The front upper strut could attach to a boss welded to the subframe. The rear upper strut needs to be positioned rearward enough to give you leg room. The best location is to weld a mild steel tab vertically to the frame near the shock bolt. It is best if both upper struts angle toward the general location of the sidecar axle.

For your rig, I would suggest sidecar wheel lead of around 9", sidecar wheel toe- in of 5/8" and motorcycle lean out of around 3/4" at handlebar level.

I also suggest that you consider a reduction in front end steering trail (caster) to reduce steering effort. One method is to rework the triple clamps to move the axle farther forward (for your K75 at least 2" less trail would be desirable) The tried and true method of trail reduction is to change the whole front end to a leading link.

For reference photos, there was an illustrated article on the building of a K1/EZS outfit a couple of years ago in ON.

pmdave

Thanks again for the info. I am sure I'll have more questions and will keep you posted on my progress.