• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

F800 Models

Wanna take a test? (We used to do this with racing bicycles).

Try (CAREFULLY -- VERY CAREFULLY) riding through a sweeping right turn, medium speed with just your right hand on the grip.

See if you are pulling or pushing. I'll bet you are pushing.

The essence of countersteer. We all do it, most of us do it as a sort of reflex action. We don't think about it, we just do it. If you think about it, you usually wind up wobbling all over the road. But if you just lean and push, the bike goes around the corner as if by magic.

There's probably some scientific principle involved. Thinking about it usually screws everything up.

Wanna take a test? (We used to do this with racing bicycles).

Try (CAREFULLY -- VERY CAREFULLY) riding through a sweeping right turn, medium speed with just your right hand on the grip.

See if you are pulling or pushing. I'll bet you are pushing.

The essence of countersteer. We all do it, most of us do it as a sort of reflex action. We don't think about it, we just do it. If you think about it, you usually wind up wobbling all over the road. But if you just lean and push, the bike goes around the corner as if by magic.

There's probably some scientific principle involved. Thinking about it usually screws everything up.

Tried it, going right, if I don't turn the throttle until out of the turn, I am pushing a bit. Going left, I can turn with no left hand on the bars to push, and the right hand just waiting to throttle out of the turn; the left leg is most of the work, the right leg a bit.

Now all I need to do to follow as straight a line going right as I can going left, is to use the same technique, and "unlearn" the push on the bar/throttle. The leg momentum is more accurate line driving.

My left shoulder, the bad one, has not hurt since I started with this bike; it would hurt after 2 hours on the same bike I rode before with no problems prior to the shoulder issues, and after the problems emerged, requiring therapy, then two surgeries six months apart, and more therapy. It was a bad lamenting two years I did not/could not ride, and three more figuring out I needed the light weight/low COG of the F800S I have to overcome the soreness that left me not wanting to ride like a Pavlov dog.

The F can be maneuvered so easily, I am certain there are myriad ways to do it. I mastered and think I overcame the problem one, now I just want its line-adhering-to accuracy going right, which I have already going left. I just need practice and more practice. Then I want to take an ERC with this bike.

For me, the S model was the charmer, as the ST's bars were in my way. YMMV, try it on for size but you have to try it, to understand it. :bikes

Tweety1

rotational inertia - something like that. It has been a long time since high school physics.

Apply a force to the axle of a spinning object and the inertia creates a force 90% from the force being applied. Push your right grip and the force is created tipping the wheel to the right initiating a lean and subsequent turn. Push harder and get more lean.

Or apply the force in any other way. Force the bike to lean to the right with your legs or body and the wheel turns to the left increasing the lean of the frame.

I'm waiting for an F800RT

I LOVE the new F800ST ( I test rode one last week) but I HATE the riding position. I love my R80RT and if the new F800 had a more relaxed seating position without much weight on my wrist I'd be sold. I know there are bar-backs and bigger windscreens available but I'm going to wait until BMW realizes they have a great platform for a light-weight, low, less expensive touring bike. Just my 2 cents.

Dan

I have the ST and love it.

I would have chosen it even if a GT or RT model was available because I use it for daily riding.

At 6'1" the wind off the screen hits me in the upper chest and takes all pressure off my wrists, which don't get a lot of weight on them since I learned to bend my elbows while riding.

Lower screens are available for shorter riders to get the wind support right. The S version is much lower and is a 5 minute swap.

If you are looking for a complete chest and helmet coverage, then yes, bar backs and risers and a higher screen would be needed.

800s

I now have 8500 miles on my 800S which includes one 1006 mile day; also I did a 747 mile day and a 708 mile day. I don't find that my wrists get any more tired than they did on my RT or RS or R. As far as countersteering is concerned it is always fun when my wife rides with me who also rides her own bike can steer for me by just leaning her body. I think I can take corners faster with her on the back which isn't all that often

Attachments

• web 2.jpg
    web 2.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 87
Selling the Ducati today and getting an S tomorrow. It'll seem like a RT in comparison. :dance

I now have 8500 miles on my 800S which includes one 1006 mile day; also I did a 747 mile day and a 708 mile day. I don't find that my wrists get any more tired than they did on my RT or RS or R. As far as countersteering is concerned it is always fun when my wife rides with me who also rides her own bike can steer for me by just leaning her body. I think I can take corners faster with her on the back which isn't all that often

Real nice post, riders, giving the essence of what the 800S is all about (even the ST is as good). Me, going on a long loop group ride including what is considered the twistiest road in AZ (AZ 191, formerly 666 and renamed over "satan" connotations), and all four seasons are included on the loop. Getting the bike ready during nights this week as we are flipping 111/110 each day this week, here in Phoenix.

When I get back, I'll post the total mileage. I just wish my confidence level was high enough to ride totals like you have, but my recovery from major shoulder issues, including 2 surgeries and long periods of therapy, left it low and painful on my last bike. I am still recovering from it years later, but the 800S is part of my therapy, clearly.:clap

Tweety1

Any tall readers bought the f800's?

I'm 6'4 and about 200 pounds. Anybody out there close to my height that already owns a F800 and has had a chance to put some miles on the bike? I am wondering how the F800 feels to ride, and are the ergonomics OK on longer rides.
Thanks.
Milt

When I get back, I'll post the total mileage.
Tweety1

It was over 600 miles making my total part time riding 2260 to date, more than I could put on my last top heavy bike the last two years I owned it.

I love the F800S and some my R friends were amazed by its size, weight, and comparable HP to theirs.

I'm 6'4 and about 200 pounds. Anybody out there close to my height that already owns a F800 and has had a chance to put some miles on the bike? I am wondering how the F800 feels to ride, and are the ergonomics OK on longer rides.
Thanks.
Milt

For reference, I am 6 feet tall, 170-175 lbs, size 32 to 34 pants, M size shirt if pre-washed and L if not, 39-40 jacket, size 11 shoe-boot. Fir me the ergos ate perfect and why I went after this bike. The S fit me better than the ST - TRY BOTH, some like the added handle bars, some like me fit better w/o them.

I picked up an ST as a loaner bike this past weekend. I have to return it on Friday. It's a far cry from my 650 GS which is the only bike I've ridden. The seating position took some getting used to as well as the shifting of weight to my arms/hands. At first I think I was a little too nervous to really pass judgement and traffic conditions were less than ideal.

The next morning, we went out for an early morning ride since I knew the twisties would not yet be crowded. That's when I really came to appreciate the bike. In my opinion (again, only having the 650GS to compare with), it handles extremely well in the curves and was a ton of fun to ride.

The bike I'm riding has the lowered seat and I'm finding that the seating position is hell on my knees after a few hours of riding. I'm wondering if the raised seat would make a difference. I'm 5'5". Does anyone have an opinion on this? i've also read that there is an aftermarket kit to raise the handlebars for a more upright position. Has anyone done this?

I gotta admit, I tried both the F800S and the F800 ST. I'd like to tell you that I did a scientific comparison of ergonomics or whatever. But, I didn't. I bought the ST because it was blue and I like the color.

I really found almost no difference between the two bikes. The S pushes you forward a bit, the ST has a more upright ridng position. The ST comes with a rear luggage rack, the S doesn't. Other than that they are almost identical in their behavior. Fortunately, they are also very very good -- both of them.

I also tried an R1200RT. I loved it. It is, no doubt, a very very good bike also (and it also comes in beautiful blue paint). But in the end, I just couldn't justify the cost of 1200RT ownership. The F800 fit my budget much better, and does everything that the 1200RT can do (well, almost anyway). Either one of them has capabilities that far exceed mine.

I've had no regrets over the F800ST purchase. I love my bike. Would I trade it for an R1200RT? At this point, probably not. This little thing grows on you.

Hey, congrats!
I like my F800ST a lot, in fact just posted about it in another thread.
I think you'll get a kick out of it, happy riding.

Back