• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Easter ride in Marin County, CA for the sunrise

kbasa

Here in the Bay Area, more specifically, here in Marin County, we have a ride every Easter morning to the top of Mt. Tamalpais. I think Mt. Tam is 2900 feet or so, with a road all the way to the top. It's a wonderful ride; the road is twisty and the view from the top is magnificent.

It's a pre-dawn event, so folks start to gather at an Arco station on Hwy. 1 at about 5am. On some unknown signal, everybody puts their helmet on and it's a brisk ride to the top, about 10 or 15 miles of very, very twisty roads.

I've been going pretty regularly for the last 6 years, through pouring rain (last year) and fog and the like. This year, the weather was pretty nice and we had a regular crowd.

At the ARCO station, bikes began arriving in earnest a bit after 5.

142042466-L.jpg

This may look like a standard GS, but it's littered with HPN parts. Check the forks. The guy that owns it, R-Dubb, has gone through the motor. It's pretty well hotrodded and is making just over 70hp at the rear wheel. Balanced crank, rods, pistons. Venolia HiComp pistons. Sport cam. Lightened flywheel and crank.

Oh yeah.

I shot these using available light, so the blurs you see are the result of people walking by while the camera was open.

142043701-L.jpg

Bikes kept coming, sometimes in ones and twos, sometimes in larger groups. It's pretty common for folks to meet somewhere in SF or Oakland and ride up together. The SF Motorcycle Club (over 100 years old now) showed up with a group of about 15 or 20. Same with the East Bay Rats and other Bay Area groups.

We may be our own tribes the rest of the year, but this day, we're all brothers and sisters on a ride together.

Surprisingly, there aren't many HDs on this ride.

142046325-L.jpg

Out here, we've got tons of BMWs. GSs seem to rule the roost and R12GSs are very common. Old airheads? Check. Old Kbikes with Rhinocoated tanks? Check. HP2s? Check.

But I still don't see all that many R11Ss. I spotted these two waiting to head up.

142049326-L.jpg

And they just kept coming. All kinds of bikes, all kinds of riders. Japanese bikes. Italian bikes. American bikes.

German bikes.

142052451-L.jpg

And then, folks started putting their helmets on. Clusters of people started to break up and head back to their bikes. It's time.

Get your game on. It's time to ride.

142052913-L.jpg

A bit later, we were at the top. It was foggy on the west side of the mountain, still. Cool air from the ocean gets pushed up the side of the mountain and condenses into fog at the top.

Our parking lot was partially covered and spectral riders poured into the lot from the ride up.

142054625-L.jpg

These are some really cool pictures, KBasa...me likes!
I'm not sure I'm hard core enough to be getting up that early to go ride, though. You have my respect!:thumb

These are some really cool pictures, KBasa...me likes!
I'm not sure I'm hard core enough to be getting up that early to go ride, though. You have my respect!:thumb

Thanks, Mandy. By any conventional measurement, they're out of focus, the subject isn't plain and details are lost. But I think they capture the moment.

And then we waited. From Mt. Tam, you have an unobstructed view east and south. Actually, you pretty much have an unobstructed view in all directions.

So we waited. Across the bay, over on the Oakland side, low clouds and fog held on. Directly underneath us, Corte Madera and San Quentin prison lit up like sparks.

142063801-L.jpg

Back