• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Allen Head wrench size '91R100GS PD

D

DAVIDSWANSON

I am trying to remove the final drive from the swing arm on my 1991R100GS PD. There are two allen head bolts that the final drive pivots on the swing arm that i have to remove. They are larger than 10mm and the one on the inside (wheel side of swing arm) appears like it might be slightly larger than the one on the other side. Does any one know the size of these sockets? I am only finding metric allen head sets that go to 10mm readily available so it looks like I will have to special order the wrenches if i could determine what size to get.

thanks

swanny

Try Autozone

I am trying to remove the final drive from the swing arm on my 1991R100GS PD. There are two allen head bolts that the final drive pivots on the swing arm that i have to remove. They are larger than 10mm and the one on the inside (wheel side of swing arm) appears like it might be slightly larger than the one on the other side. Does any one know the size of these sockets? I am only finding metric allen head sets that go to 10mm readily available so it looks like I will have to special order the wrenches if i could determine what size to get.

thanks

swanny

Autozone (at least our local one) has a set of four or five of the larger (greater than 10mm) 3/8 drive metric allen head sockets in their tool department. I think the price is under $10 for the set.

Stick a bolt head in the socket and then determine size by fitting a wrench to the bolt head.

Thanks all for the suggestions

I will check & confirm the 12mm socket size with a hex nut. I appreciate the input.

swanny

I needed a really odd size and shape socket for a bolt on my airhead and I didn't know exactly how to describe or measure it so I simply took my grandson's play doh, placed it over the bolt and took the imprint to the NAPA store and asked for whatever fit the imprint. No problem and 10 minutes later, I had what I needed. It was an inverse something.

Back