Thread: Allen Head wrench size '91R100GS PD

DAVIDSWANSON

Allen Head wrench size '91R100GS PD

I am trying to remove the final drive from the swing arm on my 1991R100GS PD. There are two allen head bolts that the final drive pivots on the swing arm that i have to remove. They are larger than 10mm and the one on the inside (wheel side of swing arm) appears like it might be slightly larger than the one on the other side. Does any one know the size of these sockets? I am only finding metric allen head sets that go to 10mm readily available so it looks like I will have to special order the wrenches if i could determine what size to get.

thanks

swanny

Try Autozone

Quote Originally Posted by davidswanson View Post
    I am trying to remove the final drive from the swing arm on my 1991R100GS PD. There are two allen head bolts that the final drive pivots on the swing arm that i have to remove. They are larger than 10mm and the one on the inside (wheel side of swing arm) appears like it might be slightly larger than the one on the other side. Does any one know the size of these sockets? I am only finding metric allen head sets that go to 10mm readily available so it looks like I will have to special order the wrenches if i could determine what size to get.

thanks

swanny
    Autozone (at least our local one) has a set of four or five of the larger (greater than 10mm) 3/8 drive metric allen head sockets in their tool department. I think the price is under $10 for the set.

Stick a bolt head in the socket and then determine size by fitting a wrench to the bolt head.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Should be a 12mm. 1/2" drive "socket" type allen driver is the way to go.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

DAVIDSWANSON

Thanks all for the suggestions

I will check & confirm the 12mm socket size with a hex nut. I appreciate the input.

swanny

If you can't find the nut, just lay your 12mm open-end wrench up close.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    I needed a really odd size and shape socket for a bolt on my airhead and I didn't know exactly how to describe or measure it so I simply took my grandson's play doh, placed it over the bolt and took the imprint to the NAPA store and asked for whatever fit the imprint. No problem and 10 minutes later, I had what I needed. It was an inverse something.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.