• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Handlebar Risers?

greenwald

I was considering purchasing a set of handlebar risers, that would set the bars on my '05 R1200RT up 1" and back 1." This would solve a number of minor problems - namely, give me more of my mirrors to look out of / a perfectly relaxed riding position for my arms / more clearance for my tank bag

Risers are available thru: www.twistedthrottle.com

Problem is this: doesn't look like enough slack in the braided brake lines to accomodate slipping a 1" chunk of metal between the fork neck mounts and the handlebars.

Has anyone made this modification, and if so, how stressed are the brake lines?

Last edited:
My risers on my R1100RT are 3/4" and there was no problem. I took them off after getting a used Rick Mayer seat that needed a slightly more leaned forward seating position to be just right. I was amazed at what a difference the change on handlebar position has on the seating.

I believe mine are also 3/4, and I had no problems with the installation, with plenty of slack still left in the lines.

I went with the Suburban Machinery units on my '06 RT. They are a bit more money (about $90 including shipping), but they look better and there are no issues whatsoever with brake lines. I've found that the approx. 1" rise and 1/2" back is just about perfect for my (usually) aching back.

http://www.suburban-machinery.com/R1200RT.htm

Is anybody using the risers on an '05 or later RT with the BMW tank bag and the Navigator III with the stock BMW handlebar mount? Just wondering if you can still see the Nav III with the bars set back closer to the tank bag.

Greenwald,

I just put the Suburban risers on my new 12RT. I installed them in the dealer's lot in a few minutes. I did have to fiddle with the left side because of the location of one of the wire ties, but the is plenty of cable. I also install the Suburban peg droppers in the dealer's lot. Again, an easy install. All very well made. I am happy with them.

For the record, I had ordered a low seat, but traded it for a normal one. I need separation from the pegs and my hind parts. Now, I'm fitting the tippy toe thing, but I'm gaining on it.

Gary

Much Appreciated!

Thanks for the comments. You have allayed my fears - Risers have been ordered.

I presume installation is just swapping out the eight bolts with longer ones (provided)?!

Greenwald,

With the Suburbans, it was just a matter of removing the bars (probably one at a time), sliding in the insert, and installing the longer bolts. Maybe a towel on which to place the removed bars as one runs out of hands.

Gary

Back