• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Baja?

billyfields

Lets say this will be a report in about a month..

Just me and the 98 RT are heading south from Toronto for a month in April for some kind of tour of the southern US.. but I keep on thinking about the Baja too. I drove down it back in 1980 on an R90/6 (made it as far as Panama) but that was then and I was driving with a buddy. A fellow from Texas recently told me that driving down in northern Mexico is much more dangerous than it used to be..

Can anyone offer either encouragement or otherwise. Some recent experience would help al lot. My wife really does want me back in one piece!

I have also heard that it is much more dangerous. Actually it's been that way for quite some time. I wouldn't do it alone. No way.

But I would go with a group, and maybe a native/guide, and certainly enough cash to pay the speeding tickets. I guess Americans have to post a bail for driving tickets. I have heard "stories" that the cops try to get paid off a lot etc.

However, it's been dream of mine for quite some time to go to Baja.

I made it to Key west FL a few years ago, and now only Baja remains for my North american dream ride.

Lets say this will be a report in about a month..

Just me and the 98 RT are heading south from Toronto for a month in April for some kind of tour of the southern US.. but I keep on thinking about the Baja too. I drove down it back in 1980 on an R90/6 (made it as far as Panama) but that was then and I was driving with a buddy. A fellow from Texas recently told me that driving down in northern Mexico is much more dangerous than it used to be..

Can anyone offer either encouragement or otherwise. Some recent experience would help al lot. My wife really does want me back in one piece!

billyfields,
I'm sure you'll get many different stories. Spend a few minutes on www.horizonsunlimited.com

There are many forums and you'll get info from moto-travellers who are there now, or who have recently passed through.

Cheers

I travel regularly to Baja. I would not worry or hesitate to take my bike anywhere on the peninsula. I have never had a moment of discomfort from the locals.

+1

I travel regularly to Baja. I would not worry or hesitate to take my bike anywhere on the peninsula. I have never had a moment of discomfort from the locals.

I'm riding/moving from Ft Lauderdale to La Paz,BCS on April 30.Riding alone.I don't anticipate any problems whatsoever in Baja.Looking for a riding partner if you're heading that way.Please ignore all the naysayers.:dunno
Enjoy your ride.
John

I am telling you guys , it is no longer safe in Baja.

Here's two of 100 hundred links to the out of control crime down there

January 3, 2007
Mexican President Felipe Calder??n's administration announced a major offensive yesterday against organized crime in Baja California, dispatching nearly 3,300 soldiers and federal agents to the state. http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/mexico/tijuana/20070103-9999-1m3cartel.html

October 30, 2006
LAURA EMBRY / Union-Tribune
People carried signs and white balloons at the bullring in Tijuana yesterday to protest kidnappings, killings and other crimes plaguing Baja California.
TIJUANA ÔÇô A march through Baja California to bring attention to the region's crime problems picked up steam in Tijuana yesterday when thousands of people joined the walk.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/mexico/tijuana/20061030-9999-1m30march.html

Just got back from Baja and had a great time. Baja is my next door neighbor.

But.....Perhaps if more people stay away we can slow all the development going on and the money rush to the Baja..........on second thought, everybody stay away....it is extremely dangerous and the locals hate you...that's it.....be afraid, be very afraid.

Is Tijuana really part of Baja?

In the strictest sense,yes.Otherwise,no.It has little in common with the remaining 98% of Baja.I'm moving/riding there in 4 days.La Paz-not Tijuana.
John

Thanks Dean.

Yeah, those guys were all dirt bike tours.

Baja is very accessible on a street bike for the most part and a blast on an Enduro like the F650. I have some books and few links I will post for you. It is a great place to travel, especially once you get below Ensenada. Don't worry, take it easy and have fun! You do not need someone to organize a trip for you.

Try Edelweiss Bike Travel . I know they have tours through Baja. I believe you can elect to do it all on pavement or on selected off-road trails.

Frankie-
I've just viewed the bajabymoto webpage. It looks pretty good. Having been to the Baja three times with just my boyfriend on 2 GS's and planning all trips myself (with the help of Clement Salvadori's Baja book), I agree with Dean, that to do the Baja, one doesn't need an organized tour. My complaint with the bajabymoto tour is that you go the 1000 miles in eight days, missing time at some incredible places (for instance, day 5 of the tour goes from San Ignacio to Loreto - quickly passing Mulege and Conception Bay - 2 incredible places). We take 16 days (too short) and still haven't made it to Todos Santos. The up side to the tour is if you're going totally alone you would have someone to share it with (but I, personally, would rather share it with my boyfriend than a bunch of new acquaintances). But if, as you said, you would rather take your own bike, you perhaps could go down with the group, see how comfortable you feel traveling in the Baja, and then return on your own, hitting the highlights missed by the tour. We have never been to Tijuana or Cabo and have no interest in doing so. For us, the smaller towns are better. Even though we go to be near the water, we like the locals at inland towns, like San Ignacio and the Comondus, because they haven't be inundated with northerners as much. Whatever - hope this helps and more to the point - hope you just go. It's worth it.:thumb

Just get on your bike and go

buy your insurance online and buy a AAA map at nearly any convenience store near the border.Tecate is the easiest crossing-about 10-15 minutes and take Mex 3 to Mex1 just north of Ensenada.There are several maps online to give you bearings before you leave.The differences between riding in the US and Baja,outside of Cabo and Tijuana-little traffic,great food,fewer gas stations and wonderful folks.There's a roughly 210 mile stretch w/o a Pemex station but several towns w/unofficial stations if your bike can't make 200 miles.As juner said,the small towns and deserted beaches make it worthwhile.
Just go and enjoy 1 of the best rides in the Americas.
John

Back