Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Baja?

On the Road

Baja?

Lets say this will be a report in about a month..

Just me and the 98 RT are heading south from Toronto for a month in April for some kind of tour of the southern US.. but I keep on thinking about the Baja too. I drove down it back in 1980 on an R90/6 (made it as far as Panama) but that was then and I was driving with a buddy. A fellow from Texas recently told me that driving down in northern Mexico is much more dangerous than it used to be..

Can anyone offer either encouragement or otherwise. Some recent experience would help al lot. My wife really does want me back in one piece!

I have an urge to surge. FPARISI's Avatar
    I have also heard that it is much more dangerous. Actually it's been that way for quite some time. I wouldn't do it alone. No way.

But I would go with a group, and maybe a native/guide, and certainly enough cash to pay the speeding tickets. I guess Americans have to post a bail for driving tickets. I have heard "stories" that the cops try to get paid off a lot etc.

However, it's been dream of mine for quite some time to go to Baja.

I made it to Key west FL a few years ago, and now only Baja remains for my North american dream ride.
    Frankie Bones
    R1100RT, Techlusion, Hyperlights, PIAA 80/80 & 004XT's w/EZMount, GIVI Top, Kisan PathBlazer, Vectra lights, Signal minder/Running lights, Tailblazer, Cee Bailey windshield, City lids w/Kugler Klamps, RTP rear plate, Feredo Brakes, Staintune, PIAA Horn, Smartire, Baehr intercom. Held Gear.

TOR1150R
    Quote Originally Posted by billyfields View Post
    Lets say this will be a report in about a month..

Just me and the 98 RT are heading south from Toronto for a month in April for some kind of tour of the southern US.. but I keep on thinking about the Baja too. I drove down it back in 1980 on an R90/6 (made it as far as Panama) but that was then and I was driving with a buddy. A fellow from Texas recently told me that driving down in northern Mexico is much more dangerous than it used to be..

Can anyone offer either encouragement or otherwise. Some recent experience would help al lot. My wife really does want me back in one piece!
    billyfields,
    I'm sure you'll get many different stories. Spend a few minutes on www.horizonsunlimited.com

There are many forums and you'll get info from moto-travellers who are there now, or who have recently passed through.

Cheers

DEANCOX
    I travel regularly to Baja. I would not worry or hesitate to take my bike anywhere on the peninsula. I have never had a moment of discomfort from the locals.

Thumbs up +1

Quote Originally Posted by deancox View Post
    I travel regularly to Baja. I would not worry or hesitate to take my bike anywhere on the peninsula. I have never had a moment of discomfort from the locals.
    I'm riding/moving from Ft Lauderdale to La Paz,BCS on April 30.Riding alone.I don't anticipate any problems whatsoever in Baja.Looking for a riding partner if you're heading that way.Please ignore all the naysayers.
    Enjoy your ride.
    John

I am telling you guys , it is no longer safe in Baja.

Here's two of 100 hundred links to the out of control crime down there

January 3, 2007
    Mexican President Felipe Calder??n's administration announced a major offensive yesterday against organized crime in Baja California, dispatching nearly 3,300 soldiers and federal agents to the state. http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/m...1m3cartel.html

October 30, 2006
    LAURA EMBRY / Union-Tribune
    People carried signs and white balloons at the bullring in Tijuana yesterday to protest kidnappings, killings and other crimes plaguing Baja California.
    TIJUANA ΤΗτ A march through Baja California to bring attention to the region's crime problems picked up steam in Tijuana yesterday when thousands of people joined the walk.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/m...1m30march.html
    Frankie Bones
    R1100RT, Techlusion, Hyperlights, PIAA 80/80 & 004XT's w/EZMount, GIVI Top, Kisan PathBlazer, Vectra lights, Signal minder/Running lights, Tailblazer, Cee Bailey windshield, City lids w/Kugler Klamps, RTP rear plate, Feredo Brakes, Staintune, PIAA Horn, Smartire, Baehr intercom. Held Gear.

DEANCOX
    Just got back from Baja and had a great time. Baja is my next door neighbor.

But.....Perhaps if more people stay away we can slow all the development going on and the money rush to the Baja..........on second thought, everybody stay away....it is extremely dangerous and the locals hate you...that's it.....be afraid, be very afraid.

Dean, do you know of any organized tours?
    Frankie Bones

Exclamation Is Tijuana really part of Baja?

In the strictest sense,yes.Otherwise,no.It has little in common with the remaining 98% of Baja.I'm moving/riding there in 4 days.La Paz-not Tijuana.
    John

DEANCOX
    Quote Originally Posted by fparisi View Post
    Dean, do you know of any organized tours?
    I have never been on an organized tour, but I know these firms offer various levels of touring and adventuring. Some of them are offroad only.

http://www.bajaboundmoto.com/

http://www.chrishaines.com

http://www.gobajaridin.com

It seems I saw an ad in the last BMW ON for a road tour in Baja.

Thanks Dean.

Yeah, those guys were all dirt bike tours.
    Frankie Bones

Thanks Dean.

Frankie Bones

DEANCOX
    Quote Originally Posted by fparisi View Post
    Thanks Dean.

Baja is very accessible on a street bike for the most part and a blast on an Enduro like the F650. I have some books and few links I will post for you. It is a great place to travel, especially once you get below Ensenada. Don't worry, take it easy and have fun! You do not need someone to organize a trip for you.

Try Edelweiss Bike Travel . I know they have tours through Baja. I believe you can elect to do it all on pavement or on selected off-road trails.
    Thor Anderson
    Marin County
    K1200GT
    R100GS

I was surfin around on the SWmoto tire website, and then popped up an ad for these guys.

http://www.bajabymoto.com/

Looks like they provide you with a f650GS. Not my favorite bike, but maybe I could bring my own bike.
    Frankie Bones