• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

f 650 purchase advice

Rpstk53

Hi, I am considering a f650gs to ride seasonal roads around my cabin near the adirondack mountains.
I see the bikes have small fenders, do you get wet everytime you hit a small puddle with these bikes? are there fender extenders available?
And the vibration issue I see some mention, are some years better than others?
Do these bikes have a counterbalancer?
And lastly is the bike too heavy to ride occasionally on ATV trails with some muddy areas?
Thanks for any info....
Bob

Bob, I'd hate to steer anyone away but, I think you'd be much happier with a small dual/sport (street legal) bike from Yamaha or Honda. The XT225 or XR250 come to mind.

The F650 is a full sized road bike and weights are up there (420+ pounds)

Good luck with your choice, it's all fun.

Mine has no fender and I don't get wet. Mine tipped over today and I had to pick it up - it's not something I'd want to do a lot but it can be done. It might work for you on your trails, depends on your experience level and how capable you are at handling a bike this size/wt.

Not sure what the electrical system is on the model you are considering but if it is the same as on the F650 CS - avoid the bike.

The system cannot charge the battery, keep both lights on and handle a set of PIAA 50W lights. The charging system is anemic.

The same system seems to be on the F800 series.

Hi, I am considering a f650gs to ride seasonal roads around my cabin near the adirondack mountains.
I see the bikes have small fenders, do you get wet everytime you hit a small puddle with these bikes? are there fender extenders available?
And lastly is the bike too heavy to ride occasionally on ATV trails with some muddy areas?
Thanks for any info....
Bob

A fellow Upstater!
1.) Yes. With the right tire combo they'll go in some of the worst of nasties. Adirondacks included...Live there, done that, DO that.

2.) I don't melt with water! When riding thru muck holes your bound to get splashed to some degree. Small puddles, so the boots and cuffs get mudded...No biggie.
2B.) Fender options...? http://faq.f650.com/GSFAQs/FrontFenderModsGS.htm

3.) Ohhh, very debatable in some circles...I Ain't going there.

4.) Too heavy for an occasional ride on ATV trails...? NO WAY.
-Just don't fall over! Honestly, its a bit of a pig off road (+400lbs). But still very usable at under full blown MX speeds. (See item 1).

Kutch

thanks!

To clarify I'm not looking to go full tilt down through the bush, did that years ago, too old for that now luckily still here to say that; just looking to ride some dirt roads to get out where it's quiet and venture off the beaten path, this will be my mostly rural ride so I won't add many accessories to the electrical system as I probably won't do a lot of highway riding with it. I own an R bike for that.
I guess a little water never hurt anyone, surely no a big deal there.

I see the (Japanese) dual purpose bikes are a lot lighter, and I'm sure much more manageable off road but I find the BMW bike appealing, and it seems to have a following. I guess I should take one out for a test ride at the local dealer and see how it feels....:bikes
thanks again for the replies...
Bob

I guess I should take one out for a test ride at the local dealer and see how it feels....:bikes
thanks again for the replies...
Bob

Good luck with that test ride. The dealers around here can't keep one around for very long. They do have a couple as service loaners though.

f650gs

i had a 05 dakar before trading it for my 1200gs. i liked it but i kept blowing front fork seals (4 in 10 months). and i didnt like having to deal with the chain.

Thanks for any info....
Bob

I have a 07 Dakar and love it. For fire lanes and decent single tracks it works. Though for hill climbing, tight woods and rock crawling it won't cut it period! I use my 06KX250F for that. I have a 01 DRZ400 also thats good for about 100 road miles before the seat kills you and in the woods it's still heavy at 300lbs. It all depends on what you want to do. No bike does all well, there are trade offs on all. The KX250f is only 204lbs and 43 hp and belongs on a MX track so I did have to re-valve the forks and rear shock. As far as the vibes on the 650 you won't notice them after a while unless sitting still. They can be reduced by filling your bars with great stuff foam and bar ends to mention a few.:thumb

Back