• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Which Micro brews will be available.

M

MISTERMIKE

I understand WI has a lot of good micros. Does anyone know which will be available?

Depends on which cities you travel to, not all microbrews are available very far from the fermenting tanks.

I can't speak for what will be available at the rally, but there are two that should NOT be missed as you pass through Wiscowsin. New Glarus beers are available fairly widely throughout the southern part of the state- even at gas stations! They also are pretty reasonably priced.
If you see Lake Louie beer, *BUY IT!* Lake Louie is made in the small town of Arena, west of Madison and it's a one-man brewery except for busy times like bottling when he gets a helper or two. You *might* find some a couple of stores on the western fringes of Madison, but the small places near arena are a better bet.

Capital Brewery

Capital Brewery from Middleton, WI, has some excellent brews as well. The Bavarian Lager is one of my personal favorites. :drink

I'm sure if someone contacted Wayne at Riverside Brewery in West Bend. He'd love to send some gallon jugs down to the beer tent.

We are working on the beer line-up. Although I am still trying to find some locally brewed CANNED beer, here is what we will have on tap.

Note: Because of the Bavarian theme, we will have two imports included on the "Tap-Beer" list.

From Lightest to Darkest

• Franziskaner Hefe Weis
  • New Glarus Spotted Cow
  • Spaten Octoberfest
  • Silver Creek IPA
  • New Glarus Uff Da Bock

About Silver Creek Brewing Company

The Silver Creek IPA is a wonderful, hoppy beer. It is brewed in nearby Cedarburg, and is worth the 20 minute ride for the opportunity to sit in the beer garden, next to the river and enjoy some cold refreshing beverages.

I recommend their Porter - - but not necessarily when you are on two-wheels. :brow

They also make a fine golden Root Beer which you will also see at the rally.

Silvercreek Brewing Company

The Silver Creek IPA is a wonderful, hoppy beer. It is brewed in nearby Cedarburg, and is worth the 20 minute ride for the opportunity to sit in the beer garden, next to the river and enjoy some cold refreshing beverages.

I recommend their Porter - - but not necessarily when you are on two-wheels. :brow

They also make a fine golden Root Beer which you will also see at the rally.

Silvercreek Brewing Company

As long as there is a good IPA on tap, I'll be a VERY hoppy guy! :brad

I like that there will be some New Glarus beer there, as well... since I've heard so many good things. I was thinking about stopping and picking some up on my way, but now it's not so necessary.

About the New Glarus Brewing Company

Located in the rolling hills of southwestern Wisconsin, you will find the small Swiss community of New Glarus. If you are looking for a day-ride destination, this might be the place. The roads in this area are definitely on the top of the "WOW" factor. I would guess New Glarus to be about 140 miles from the Rally site.

Nestled in the hills at the edge of the village is the New Glarus Brewing Company. They have the brewery set-up for walking tours if you are so inclined. In addition, just a few hundred feet away from the Brewery is Puempel's tavern, a favorite stop for Wisconsin riders for a sandwich and a Barley-Pop.

The rally will have their signature Bock Beer on tap - "Uff Da." It is dark and creamy, with an unexpected kick. This is not a beer to "pound-down", but one to savor and enjoy.

And the other rally-offering from New Glarus is "Spotted Cow." It is a refreshing unfiltered beer that the Wisconsin folks will agree might be the best Wisconsin can offer.

New Glarus Brewing Company

Last edited:
Capital Brewery from Middleton, WI, has some excellent brews as well. The Bavarian Lager is one of my personal favorites. :drink

my personal favorite, always stop at the brewery when I'm close and pick up a few cases.

they have a very good Maibock out right now...
and dopplebock
and the lager is good,
wi amber is tatsy, .......

The rally will have their signature Bock Beer on tap - "Uff Da." It is dark and creamy, with an unexpected kick. This is not a beer to "pound-down", but one to savor and enjoy.

Sam tested.....
100_0377.jpg

and approved...
100_0378.jpg

Canned micro-brew

One I know of for sure is the Wisconsin Amber made by Capital Brewery is avail in cans. I took some back east one time and I believe its still around.:drink

They are such different beers that listing them according to color is not a true measure. To me, an Octoberfest is smoother and more amber. An IPA is more robust.

I think you will need to try them all, Ben, and report back. :laugh

:drink

97530831-L.jpg

:beerNew Glarus Brewing Linky:beer

:beer Riverside Brewery:beer
Downtown West Bend, WI

106208922-L.jpg

Only 15 minutes from West Bend
:beer Silver Creek Brewery :beer
located in the Cedarburg Mill's lower level. You have to walk around and
behind the building to get to the brew pub and outdoor beer garden.
The Beer Garden is next to the dam/waterfall.

112908117-L.jpg

142236478-L.jpg

113046898-L.jpg

113046657-L.jpg

113046306-L.jpg

Above: Turbine located in the Silver Creek Brewery

Silver Creek Brewing Company is located (lower level, you have to walk around behind the building to get to the brew pub and outdoor beer garden)in the historic Cedarburg Mill, in the heart of Cedarburg, Wisconsin. This grist mill was built in 1855, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places

:beerSilver Creek Brewery Linky:beer

Great Beer Map

Last edited:
They are such different beers that listing them according to color is not a true measure. To me, an Octoberfest is smoother and more amber. An IPA is more robust.

That's the opposite of my experience, in which the O-Fest is rather hearty since it's traditionally made during the cool harvesty time of year, and IPA was developed light but hoppy to be refreshing to the colonists in hot & tropical India.
Of course styles change over time and I'm glad we live in an age in which brewers can work with freedom to improve the beers.

I think you will need to try them all, Ben, and report back.
Most definitely! No beer worth drinking need suffer the indignity of not being enjoyed, no matter what it's colour! :thumb

That's the opposite of my experience, in which the O-Fest is rather hearty since it's traditionally made during the cool harvesty time of year, and IPA was developed light but hoppy to be refreshing to the colonists in hot & tropical India.
Of course styles change over time and I'm glad we live in an age in which brewers can work with freedom to improve the beers.

Most definitely! No beer worth drinking need suffer the indignity of not being enjoyed, no matter what it's colour! :thumb

Actually, IPA was brewed with more hops and more alcohol than pale ale to better preserve the beer on its journey to India. It's brewed with ale yeast that ferments at higher temps than lager yeast.

Octoberfest style beer is characteristically more malty than an IPA related to the kind of malt that is used, hops are more subtle, and is fermented with lager yeast at lower temps and a longer amount of time.

Both styles tend to be an orange color and have a range of alcohol content that is roughly the same. I'd have a hard time saying which is lighter, however that term is defined. We're just going to have to figure that one out at the beer tent!:beer

Back