• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Uni-go trailers

E

eugeneeggert

I have R1150R would like to hear from any one who has trailerd with this bike two up on long trips.
What do you like about the Uni-go.

Is there other trailers that you can recommend?
Thanks Gene

Gene, you might want to talk to Arizona Al he has many miles on a uni-go. He pulls it to a lot of ralleys here in the west. You could ping him from the member list, he is one of the good guys! Hope this helps.

John

I am also very interested in the uni-do. I wonder if I could use it to pull my dog? I e-mailed Arizona Al and invited him to join us at this forum.

arizonaRT said:
Gene, you might want to talk to Arizona Al he has many miles on a uni-go. He pulls it to a lot of ralleys here in the west. You could ping him from the member list, he is one of the good guys! Hope this helps.

John Thanks for the info. hope to from him
Gene+Fran

If you are serious about putting the $$ into a trailer to drag behind your bike, I would suggest you at least look at the Bushtec lineup. They produce a first-rate cargo trailer, and also build hitches for the BMW R and K series.

http://www.bushtec.com/

If I have my way about it, my next cargo trailer will be a Turbo +2 model.

... No ownership interest on my part, just an unbiased personal affinity to their product! :D

Uni-Go

Rick M. Thanks for the suggestion but Bushtec do not make a hitch for a R1150R at this time.
Iwas thinking that i may be able to use the Uni-go hitch with Bushtec trailer if you know of someone that has tryed this i would like to hear.

Thanks for reply
Gene

Hmm.

Yo, Gene. I have on my desk a promo packet that I recently received from Bushtec (i.e., last week) that lists two hitches for the R1150, and two for the R1100.

According to their literature, their hitch price includes the electronic relay adapter for models fitting the K12LT, the K11LT, the R1150RT, and the R1100RT.

The list includes a ball-application type hitch in powercoat black for the K11 that runs $299. The Bushtec hitchpin model is a bit more. They do charge an additional fee if they do the installation.

Personally, if I do acquire a hitch, I will have to drag my old homegrown Harbor Freight trailer for a while. The only way it could get uglier is to be bigger, but my tent and sleeping bag are none the wiser. ;)

Surely they did not send me a packet with out of date stuff ...

:dunno

To wit:

The Wing sold last year, but the K and the U-G-LY stuff hauler are still around. :yow

Attachments

• gwntlr.jpg
    gwntlr.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 825
Hey! Another Winger!

I recall reading your review when it published. Kudos on a job well done.

Question -- on an aside topic. Are those reviews available without using a GWRRA password to access the archive, or did you finesse the system somehow?

Regards,
RM

Re: Hey! Another Winger!

RickM said:
I recall reading your review when it published. Kudos on a job well done.

Thanks. That article put me on the permanent $**t list of Bushtec's owner.

Question -- on an aside topic. Are those reviews available without using a GWRRA password to access the archive, or did you finesse the system somehow?

You normally need a password and ID to access the magazine, but there's a flaw in their system that they'll eliminate when they discover it, I'm sure. Bookmark that link I gave you. Use it to access that page, then select "archived issues" from the drop-down menus.

Stu

Why not get creative? Who says you need a nice slick factory job? Back when I was in high school I was on a family vacation one summer and somewhere, I think in Ohio, I saw a couple of large touring bikes pulling trailers that were the same sort of basic chassis as the ugly stuff-hauler, but topped with a casket. I sh!t you not. The caskets were painted to match the bikes too!

Or you could get REALLY creative and do something like this:

Attachments

• goldwingchevys.jpg
    goldwingchevys.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 1,409
Re: Hmm.

RickM said:
Yo, Gene. I have on my desk a promo packet that I recently received from Bushtec (i.e., last week) that lists two hitches for the R1150, and two for the R1100.

According to their literature, their hitch price includes the electronic relay adapter for models fitting the K12LT, the K11LT, the R1150RT, and the R1100RT.

The list includes a ball-application type hitch in powercoat black for the K11 that runs $299. The Bushtec hitchpin model is a bit more. They do charge an additional fee if they do the installation.

Personally, if I do acquire a hitch, I will have to drag my old homegrown Harbor Freight trailer for a while. The only way it could get uglier is to be bigger, but my tent and sleeping bag are none the wiser. ;)

Surely they did not send me a packet with out of date stuff ...

:dunno

Trailers

Rick M.

Thanks for the info. I did e-mail Bushtec and the cataloge is in the mail .
Six months ago i did speek to a rep. at that time they weren"t offering a hitch for my bike.

Thanks Gene

I recall reading about the Uni-go before I got into trailering. And after reading the review, I remembered more of why my preferences in trailers came to rest on something that hooks up and rolls on two wheels. Basically, it has to do with cargo capacity.

If staying at a motel, I can get by on three or four day trip with what I can strap on the bike or stash in the luggage. But when camping, I end up taking along all manner of stuff that may or may not be useful. With the exception of three particular items, "May or may not" is determined by the weather, the campsite, and the proximity of nearby eateries.

Item number one is my comfy fold out camping cot. As in, I'm a self-confessed wuss, and refuse to share my nocturnal repose with tree roots and protruding rocks. My cot will not fit in a Uni-go, which means I have to have something with at least the capacity of a small cartop carrier.

Items number two and three are my two burner Coleman stove, and an old percolator coffee pot named Bertha. If I must rough it, I insist on at least having hot coffee in the morning. So the stove and the coffee pot go into the camping kit. My local riding cronies may haw-haw and have fun with me over the funky appearance of the trailer behind a bike, but they nonetheless line up for a cup of Joe.

And contrary to what some of them have intimated in the past, I do not have a private restroom in the trailer ...

Uni-go

RickM. My wife thinks that if we keep looking we will find one with a shower and all the good stuff.
Gene

Back