Thread: Switched power?

REBECCAV

Switched power?

My project du jour is to install Motolights on my 1996 R1100RS. But the instructions that come with the lights says to tap into the switched power. Where is the switched power in the front of the bike?

In other words, I want to Motolights to be on whenever my headlight (both high and low beam) is on. What have other Motolight users done??

TIA.

Blocking the slow lane
    Hi Rebecca!

If you are using a relay to turn the lights on (and I imagine you are), just tap into the lead for the running light in the headlight assembly and use that to trigger the relay. It is easily accessible, and comes on with the key.
    Jon Diaz
    BMW K75/K12GT
    BMWMOA Ambassador

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post
    Hi Rebecca!

If you are using a relay to turn the lights on (and I imagine you are), just tap into the lead for the running light in the headlight assembly and use that to trigger the relay. It is easily accessible, and comes on with the key.
    The brown wire is common or ground. The other wire (there should be only 2), is the +12 wnen the running light is on.
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

REBECCAV
    Thanks Jon and Jack!!

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    I would recommend still having the Motolight switch functional. When my battery has been a little low, I turn them off while starting. Yes, in theory they should be off while starting but I connected my power to something that is on while the bike is starting. So turning them off removes the draw.

It helps, DAMHIK, IJK>
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    If you didn't want to remove your tank to go wire diving, you could also use the wire going to your taillight. Fairly accessible under the seat, I believe on the right side.
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador, WI Airmarshal
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep

Kool Aid Dispenser! jimvonbaden's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BradfordBenn View Post
    I would recommend still having the Motolight switch functional. When my battery has been a little low, I turn them off while starting. Yes, in theory they should be off while starting but I connected my power to something that is on while the bike is starting. So turning them off removes the draw.

It helps, DAMHIK, IJK>
    Brad makes a good point. You should have a way to turn off the lights when starting the bike, especially in cold weather.

Jim
    www.JVBProductions.com Now, all videos available via download or DVD, or USB for the Wethead.

Here's a link to a spade terminal that I used on the CL to trigger the relay. It's connects to one of the spade terminals and gives you two male spade connectors plug on two. The original wire goes back on, and then you make up a new wire and just crimp on a female spade on the end. It save cutting and splicing or worse, the Scotchlock connector.

http://rocky.digikey.com/WebLib/3M/W.../MA250DMFM.pdf

I found these packaged in twos at my local auto parts store.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by boxergrrlie View Post
    My project du jour is to install Motolights on my 1996 R1100RS. But the instructions that come with the lights says to tap into the switched power. Where is the switched power in the front of the bike?
    Switched power for what purpose...to drive what? Hopefully not your driving lights.

REBECCAV
    First, let me say what an incredible resource this forum is. To be able to post a question here and have it answered almost immediately by folks as experienced and knowledgeable as jdiaz and cjack is pretty amazing. I am happy to say that I now have working Motolights on my RS. Thank you to everyone who responded and I appreciate the suggestions about turning off the lights before starting the bike.

I think that I also should address the lighting on my bike: I have a switch on my right handlebar that controls the lights. There is a position to have all lights completely off, then in the next position, the headlights and the Motolights come on, then in the next position, a set of PIAA 1100x comes on with the headlights and the Motolights. If the headlights are in the high beam position I also have the option of turning on a set of PIA 910s.

I hope to see some of you at Moonshine this weekend.

Rebecca

what, no night light with all that light you should have no problem seeing anyone anytime. I just installed the PIAA 1100's on my R1100R and boy what a difference. Safe riding!