• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW Venting Machine vs. AirFlow 3 vs. Rev'it Airforce

burnszilla

I was checking out summer riding suits and I tried on the Venting Machine and the Airflow 3. The AirFlow has more opaque surfaces on the jacket. I was wondering if there is a huge difference between the two jackets when riding in the heat. A nice feature of the Airflow is that it comes in grey and red. Wearing black is one one of the problems when riding in the heat.

I'm also checking out the $299 Rev'it Airforce jacket. These jackets are really nice and cheaper than the BMW stuff. They have more color choices too. The only problem is that the four Rev'it dealers in the Bay Area don't stock the jacket. If I want to try it on I have to order it and keep it. :huh

BMW Venting Machine
j_venting_schwarzsilber.jpeg

BMW AirFlow 3
airflow3.jpg

Rev'it Airforce
motostrano_1945_21126921

Stephen. Stop right there.

I don't see Hi-Viz Yellow :stick

:bolt

(If it's any help, I feel stylish in my Venting Machine)

i have no personal experience but have been looking into obtaining similar gear. anecdotally, from the comments and reviews i've seen on the net the folks who get the venting machine seem to consistently say, "jeez, i thought i knew what vented gear was, but now i *really* know. this stuff feels like a tshirt and shorts. weirdly, the armor feels really good though, way better than my previous vented jacket/suit. i got over my sticker shock instantly."

seeing this has me leaning towards just spending the extra money and getting the venting machine instead of futzing around trying other things.

The venting machine works good for me. It feels like less than a t shirt and jeans. I think the black does make some heat gain, but as soon as you roll it cools right off.
robert

The venting machine works good for me. It feels like less than a t shirt and jeans. I think the black does make some heat gain, but as soon as you roll it cools right off.
robert

What about on really hot days in the desert? Those days when it's cooler to close your helmet than to leave the visor up.

I just picked up the VM jacket and pants. I'm still waiting on the hip armor to arrive so I've yet to ride with it.

I've perused a lot of threads across a lot of bike forums. I've yet to see any bad press about the VM besides the price. One point to mention is to diligently stay hydrated. Mesh gear in the high heat will dehydrate a rider in a heartbeat.

Scuderia West just called me. They also recommend the very versatile Rev'it Ignition jacket. $399

The IGNITION is a fully ventilated mesh and leather combo jacket offering 3 season versatility; made from the finest leather and featuring Dynax mesh as well as Schoeller?«-Keprotec stretch. The IGNITION jacket includes a fully waterproof and breathable detachable membrane along with a detachable windproof thermal vest. The IGNITION jacket is perfect for the 3 season sport/touring rider looking for the versatility of textile but the style of leather. Also available in a special ladies version.

motostrano_1945_26293922

So many choices! Rev'it Typhoon. $269

motostrano_1945_13977661

This is the ideal jacket for everyday use in summer conditions. The front, back and arms have large mesh panels to keep you cool in even the warmest of days. The TYPHOON has a detachable 3-layer REV'IT! Hydratex?« membrane that is waterproof and extremely breathable. The jacket is fully equipped with CE approved KNOX?« protection including an EVA ventilated back pad. Reflective panels at the elbow and shoulders are combined with reflective logos at the front and back to ensure visibility from all sides. The TYPHOON has a slight pre-shaped fit that can be pulled to individual preferences by the draw straps and adjustment tabs at the sleeve and waist. Also available in a ladies fit. The TYPHOON forms a recommended combination with the MISTRAL pants.

Mesh gear in the high heat will dehydrate a rider in a heartbeat.
That depends on the humidity. What you say is true in the desert, but not true in places like the southeast where hot summer days can feel like saunas.

I was checking out summer riding suits and I tried on the Venting Machine and the Airflow 3. The AirFlow has more opaque surfaces on the jacket. I was wondering if there is a huge difference between the two jackets when riding in the heat. A nice feature of the Airflow is that it comes in grey and red. Wearing black is one one of the problems when riding in the heat.

I'm also checking out the $299 Rev'it Airforce jacket. These jackets are really nice and cheaper than the BMW stuff. They have more color choices too. The only problem is that the four Rev'it dealers in the Bay Area don't stock the jacket. If I want to try it on I have to order it and keep it. :huh

I bought my Rev'it gear from a&s cycle online, when one of the pieces didn't fit right, I sent it back and was credited immediately. No worries about ordering and being stuck with it from them.

I like the looks of their new Rev'it Air jacket, no price yet, but I emailed about it already.
Here's a few of the 4 different colors available

http://www.revit.eu/cms2007/cms/MixandMatch-5899.php?category=1

Rev'it Airforce
motostrano_1945_21126921

Mr. Burns,
I went for an Airforce just like this one. Tomorrow it gets a proper "field trial"; I shall keep you posted if you so desire. My dealer had a good (not great) selection of Rev'it gear so I got to try a few things before I made up my mind. The Airforce has a nice rainproof zip-in liner and a sneaky pocket inside the back of the outter shell to store that liner, I thought that was tricky. Still too chilly here as yet to properly test it out for ventilation properties. The shell alone seems very lightweight with lots of vents, we shall see.

Cool.

Wez

I've also been looking at summer mesh choices, and wanted decent armor and a waterproof liner. A&S in Sacto has the Olympia Airglide 2 Mesh Tech for a little over $200. It's lighter than the BMW ( and a lot less money!).

Airflow Jacket is great!

I live in Hawaii and ride year round. The Airflow jacket and pants from BMW is what I wear evertime. I remain stylish and not hot.......

Frank

Post script on the Rev'it Airflow. Warm enough weather to take the liner out. It rolls up and tucks away in a pocket in the rear of the shell. Nice venting, made a considerable difference removing the liner, as I would expect.

There ya go.

Peace.

Wez

Air

I ended up ordering one of these.

For $169. :)

It doesn't come with a liner and is therefore less expensive.
I figure I'll just carry the liner out of my Rev'it Lab coat, and am glad I don't have to pay for another one.

Rev'it Air jacket

Chi, let us know how you like it. I personally tried the Air and the Airforce on and wasn't happy with the lack of protection on the Air. I felt more exposed than I was willing to accept. I need to take a look at the Airflow and Venting Machine still but the Airforce looks promising at least for what I'm looking for.

BMW Venting Machine.

I like it. Have been using it for 3 years now. Awesome jacket, keeps me cool in high heat of 85 degs.

Back from the dead...

With over 30,000 miles on my 07' bike now, with the majority of the miles done wearing the Air jacket it's safe to say I love it. I have been using the liner out of my Rev'it Lab jacket when it rains, or when the temps drop below 65?? or so.
I have found out while touring out west in the mountains that I can use the liner, and my Gerbings jacket under the mesh in temps down to 40??, then being able to ride in hot desert conditions (110??+) with the the Air jacket. In high tems I just wet my shirt, jacket, and helmet for added cooling.
Comfortable, durable, affordable, stylish... It's a winner.
Fortunately I have not gone down hard with it on so I can't give a report on that.

One thing I might add is that I always wear a Mountain Hardware WICKED T t-shirt

"Koolknit™ wicks moisture, dries quickly and keeps you cool. Ideal for all high energy activities.
100% polyester circular knit. Lightweight and breathable. Dries quickly with a wicking finish. Anti-microbial finish. UPF 35 sun protection"

This really works well to keep you cool, and comfortable. On most trips during the summer I just bring 2 of these and that's it. It will dry in an hour when you wash it, and is very comfortable. This shirt weighs 4 oz.'s...
What you wear under your jacket is very important to being comfortable, and cotton is no good compared.... IMHO

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Product.aspx?top=1241&prod=63&cat=1283&viewAll=False

It works for me...

Somewhere in Utah @ 105??F

272569080_rCDJF-L-0.jpg

Last edited:

Have you considered the Motoport/Cycleport Kevlar Jackets?

IÔÇÖve been riding with the GP2 Kevlar for about 18 months up here in NY. I have the wind breaker / rain insert as well as the accompanying insulated insert. The Kevlar breathes very well, and the combination of three layers has worked rather well, but this spring I did pick a ÔÇ£warm & safeÔÇØ heated jacket.

633Pm22C_ColorImageD_102300-03.JPG

They also offer an ÔÇ£Air Mesh KevlarÔÇØ version which has a larger weave; probably a kin to the other mesh jackets out there.

Here is the "touring" style in air mesh:

633Pm22C_ColorImageA_UltraII_group.jpg

Colors range from black through high-vis, and the gear is made to order which ensures a tailored fit. Even armor location may be specified.

633Pm22C_ColorImageB_armorfront.jpg

HereÔÇÖs a link (donÔÇÖt be scared off by their website ÔÇô I offered to re-do it for them, but they claim that they are already working on it).

http://www.motoport.com

Back