• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Help: Rear Ohlins on 1200GS

klrobins

I recently installed Ohlins on my 1200GS hoping to lower it 7/8". I think the achieved lowering was more like 0.4".

I took measurements as per the instructions to determine Free Sag and Ride Height:

Front: Free Sag = 39mm (should be 40mm-50mm)
Ride Height = 50mm (should be 50mm - 60mm)

Rear: Free Sag = 4mm (should be 10mm)
Ride Height = 22mm (should be 30mm-40mm)

The front set up from the supplier is perfect. The rear free sag needs to be adjusted however it appears there is no mechanical pre-load adjustment left as there is no thread remaining above the locking ring. The hydraulic pre-load adjustment is all the way to - (negative) as well.

QUESTION: How important is the rear sag and ride height (I think its important)... has anyone else had this issue of all of the adjustment in the rear shock being used up before installation?? Anyone who has this same installation please post a pic of the rear shock so I can look at it.

Thanks in advance!!
Kristi

Attachments

• OhlinRear2.JPG
    OhlinRear2.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 329
QUESTION: How important is the rear sag and ride height (I think its important)... has anyone else had this issue of all of the adjustment in the rear shock being used up before installation?? Anyone who has this same installation please post a pic of the rear shock so I can look at it.

sag (both without and with the rider) is very important.

not 100% familiar with the application of ohlins on the R1200GS, but on my 1150GS there is an external hydraulic preload adjuster. the black tube in your picture looks like it goes to one on your bike, too.

my ohlins were set up by Stig of Petterson Pro Suspension... accounting for my weight, passenger weight and the fact that i often ride with a lot of camping and computer gear. so mine came with a heavier-than-stock spring.

now, i simply use the hydraulic preload adjuster to accommodate the different riding conditions. it gets turned out when light (1-up, no bags) and cranked almost to max when heavily loaded.

if your shock has the external hydraulic preload adjuster have you tried cranking that out a few turns to see if the static sag increases?

ian

my ohlins were set up by Stig of Petterson Pro Suspension... accounting for my weight, passenger weight and the fact that i often ride with a lot of camping and computer gear. so mine came with a heavier-than-stock spring.

now, i simply use the hydraulic preload adjuster to accommodate the different riding conditions. it gets turned out when light (1-up, no bags) and cranked almost to max when heavily loaded.

if your shock has the external hydraulic preload adjuster have you tried cranking that out a few turns to see if the static sag increases?

ian

Hi Ian,

Yep, my rear shock has the hydraulic preload adjuster too. It is backed all the way off, completely (double and triple checked this), yielding the sag results I listed. My shocks were set up at Kyle Racing. I specified that I ride 1up-no bags about 60-70% of the time and loaded up with camping stuff the rest of the time.

So, thats my concern, with that adjustment backed right off I still cant get enough sag out of the rear shock. So I thought I'd back the spring off with the wrench adjustment, but it would appear to me that there is no adjustability left.

When you look at your rear shock is the hydraulic collar backed right off or is there some thread left for you to back it off more (not that you want to)... the cover of the manual seems to show it with lots of thread left... but in "real life" mine doesnt appear to have any thread left... (see the pic below... see all the thread left at the top? now look at my pic)

Attachments

• OhlinMountBM508.JPG
    OhlinMountBM508.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 346
When you look at your rear shock is the hydraulic collar backed right off or is there some thread left for you to back it off more (not that you want to)... the cover of the manual seems to show it with lots of thread left... but in "real life" mine doesnt appear to have any thread left... (see the pic below... see all the thread left at the top? now look at my pic)

i have about an inch of threads above my static preload collar. it's pretty clear that you have none, which led to my question about the hydraulic adjustment.

while i am not a suspension expert, looking at both your static sag and ride height measurements, my guess is that the spring on your shock is too stiff.

did you discuss your weight with your supplier (although this would not impact static sag).

ian

ps => the spring on my 1150GS is a 160, i can see that yours is 140. my bike is significantly heavier than yours, and no doubt *i* am heavier than you :p if a 140 is what comes stock with this shock for an r12GS, then something is awry. are you sure you're measuring correctly?

Yeah, told him my weight with gear on... I said that I ride 60-70% 1 up and the other 30% with camping gear etc. I said that I basically wanted the shock to work as closely to the stock range as possible. I can tell you I get a lot more sag on the stock shock!!

Thanks for your help... you've confirmed what I suspected... you have an inch of thread above the hydraulic collar, I have none. I'll have to get back to the guys at Kyle Racing about this.

K

Yeah, told him my weight with gear on... I said that I ride 60-70% 1 up and the other 30% with camping gear etc. I said that I basically wanted the shock to work as closely to the stock range as possible. I can tell you I get a lot more sag on the stock shock!!

Thanks for your help... you've confirmed what I suspected... you have an inch of thread above the hydraulic collar, I have none. I'll have to get back to the guys at Kyle Racing about this.

K

ask them if the 140 spring is the stock spring, and be sure to tell them how much the bike weighs.

the guy at PPS was very knowledgeable about BMWs... your supplier may not be.

Ok, so I talked to a guy at Ohlins USA. The 1200GS setup comes stock with a 140 spring and with the collar cranked all the way like mine. He retook my stats and said that is the same spring they would have recommended. He said I could try a 130 if I wanted...... but that would mean taking off the shock, shipping it, getting it back, and reinstalling... I dont think so! The ohlins guy said he didnt have any concerns about the setup and that although the sag isn't perfect, its fine and not a concern or a danger.

The only bummer is that I didnt really achieve the lowering I was expecting... some but not all of it. Thats too bad.

So, looks like I'm keeping what I've got?

Thanks for the chat today... ;)

this is much how my experience went when changing over to ohlins on my 1150.

the first time i took it off the centerstand, there was practically no sag and it felt very firm, not to mention taller. tell you the truth... even though it was taller, i liked it! :thumb

now, over 45000 miles and a rebuild, the shock has settled in. it still performs well, but the static sag is at the upper end of the range now, instead of the lower end when i first installed it.

i may be over my head technically here, but i *believe* you can buy a shorter spring to reduce seat height (with a corresponding reduction in travel). don't rely on this information, but if you're interested in lowering the bike, call and ask if this is a possibility.

ian

Supposedly its already the "shorter" one. Both Ohlins and Dan Kyle said they wouldnt recommend going lower than this on the GS... I think Wilburs sells up to 1.5" lower but the ohlins looks cooler!!

Anyway, I'll leave it and see if it breaks in... hubby offered to break it in for me of course... even to take a day off work... hehehe. In any event, if I never stop riding, I never need to touch the ground :)

K

this is much how my experience went when changing over to ohlins on my 1150.

the first time i took it off the centerstand, there was practically no sag and it felt very firm, not to mention taller. tell you the truth... even though it was taller, i liked it! :thumb

ian

This was my first impression too with the same bike Ian. The first couple of day rides it was almost a little tall, and it did begin to settle as you mention. Today I can take it off the stand and there is some sag again. I think that Klrobbins will experience similar results and the slight lowering will indeed be there after a few bumpy rides.

Back