Thread: Experienced rider course

Experienced rider course

Can someone please explain the MSF exp. rider course at the rally? Do you use your own bike? Is it very difficult? I have only been riding for a couple years(10K mi), would I have difficulties?

Rally Rat

Thumbs up ERC Basics

The Experienced Rider Course involves you using your own bike to work through a series of maneuvers, coached and demonstrated by two MSF RiderCoaches. It is a combination of lecture and practical work, all taking place outside over the course of several hours.

Typically, we prefer that you have 3,000 - 5,000 miles of experience beyond the MSF Basic Rider Course before working your way through this one. Proper negotiating of curves and limited-space maneuvering would be stressed, among other areas of importance.

At the end of the session, you would be 'graded' but this is not about passing the course....it's about experiencing it, and coming away with better skills awareness.

Good luck!

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBoy View Post
    Can someone please explain the MSF exp. rider course at the rally? Do you use your own bike? Is it very difficult? I have only been riding for a couple years(10K mi), would I have difficulties?
    I took it on Sunday (Easter). You do use your own bike and it isn't difficult. It's time and money well-spent. Go for it!

On the Road

ERC, easy... but worth it.

I took the class two weeks ago. One of the requirements is to have your own bike. It must have a current registration, inspection, and valid insurance.

You will not have difficulty with the riding skills. For me the most difficult/fun portion was the slow speed, limited space manuvering. Think figure 8s inside a small box. You will execute turns, weaves, riding over a small obstacle, swerves, quick stops, stops while turning, and a few other fundamental riding skills.

For me it was a good way to focus on basic skills/buildling blocks for safe riding. Compared to the BRC, there is a lot more riding and a lot less talking. They do build on BRC skills: SEE, TCLOCKS, etc. There are some discussions about safety space, reading intersections, and other daily riding hazards.

Take the class. You'll have fun and might learn something!

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    You can also get more information at http://www.bmwmoafoundation.org/projects/index.html
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    It is a combination of lecture and practical work, all taking place outside over the course of several hours.

Good luck!
    "lecture"? gee, I sure hope we're still not doing that!!
    as to your original question- I suspect that you could learn a fair amount by taking the ERC, and that your current skill set is sufficient for you to have a successful experience.
    It is NOT a track day, it is NOT sitting in a classroom, it is NOT listening to someone telling you how to ride, it is NOT a competition. It IS a chance to practice some important survival skills in a (reltively) safe environment, with the assistance of a trained RiderCoach who can see both the good and bad that you are doing, and help you to improve.
    If you're not able to get into one of the classes, be sure to stop by and give a looksee. You might pick up a few pointers just hanging around (we drop a few on a regular basis). Hope to see you there
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots