• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R75/7 seat & sidecover attachment

Gila Bender

R75/7, 1977 seat and sidecovers. I bought this bike last year. It has a stock seat, apparently, with a short backrest. However, the "C" clips that hold the seat have been removed as the seat fits too snug behind the tank and has scratched up the rear of the tank (low down and not noticeable when the seat is down). Puting the seat on the pins and carefully puting the seat down leaves no room to get the clips back in their grooves. This can't be right. Another thing is, how are the side covers attached on this model year? I can't see any damage to the sidecovers or the frame. The rear of the covers slip into sort of clips but still slip downward. The front is held on by a tiny bungee running from one cover to the other and attached to small "L" shaped clipps on the covers. :eek

I'm not sure what the question is here, but the tiny bungee is an improvement over the big rubber gizmos that BMW supplied. You may want to put two there, given the failure rate for bungees.

I don't remember if the hinges on that seat are adjustable, but you may want to look at the underside of the seat and see if you can loosen the hinges where they attach to the pan. This may allow you to move the hinges back enough to get the clips back on.

Anybody here have a camera and can shoot a couple pics of how it should look?

Gila Bender said:
... the seat fits too snug behind the tank and has scratched up the rear of the tank (low down and not noticeable when the seat is down).

They all do that!

This is normal.

A gap there would be unsightly.

Your dealer might be able to find the clear "decal" that can be affixed in this location to protect the paint a bit better. There used to be one in the BMW parts system.

Back