Thread: Air Gauge

Question Air Gauge

I have three different air gauges and they are all difficult to use on my R1100RT-P.
    Is there a gauge that has the head at a right angle which can be used without any interference from the brake disks?
    I'm tired of cleaning brake dust from my hands every time I check the air in my tires.
    There are two things to aim at in life; first to get what you want, and after that to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. -Logan Pearsall Smith, essayist (1865-1946)

I like this one because I can leave it attached while I add air

http://www.autosportcatalog.com/inde...d/2348/sc/2737

Quote Originally Posted by dronning View Post
    I like this one because I can leave it attached while I add air

http://www.autosportcatalog.com/inde...d/2348/sc/2737

Thanks for the post but hose will not clear the brake disk without forcing it in and therefore getting brake dust all over my fingers and hose.
    OR: If it does, I'd need a demonstration on how you do it.
    I need something that has a head at a right angle. All the gauges have head at 45 degree angle and not enough room between disk and valve stem.
    There are two things to aim at in life; first to get what you want, and after that to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. -Logan Pearsall Smith, essayist (1865-1946)

I guarantee you won't get dirty.

Dave

Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft FredRydr's Avatar
    It sounds like you want a 90-degree head. I hate to say this, but a simple pencil gauge without any bells and whistles sounds perfect.

Fred

I use a digital one from Roadgear. It fits better than any of the others I've tried. And, it talks so I don't have to put my glasses on in order to check the pressure.

http://www.roadgear.com/catalog/reso...ts/49large.jpg

John

And I use a digital talking one from Radio Shack. The head is at a right angle, the verbal part is really nicer than I thought it would be, and it was highly rated when Motorcycle Consumer News did a review of guages a year or so ago. Around $20.
    Dan

screamineagle
    Quote Originally Posted by dronning View Post

I guarantee you won't get dirty.

Dave
    obviously a tire gauge of some sort but without an explanation I am at a loss to understand what goes where.

But then I am pretty dense.

Quote Originally Posted by Screamineagle View Post
    obviously a tire gauge of some sort but without an explanation I am at a loss to understand what goes where.

The two black sensors are strapped inside the tire and send a wireless signal to the gauge so you can monitor tire pressure without getting off the seat.

I'm not sure how accurate they are. You can probably tell how long they last by the length of the warranty.

The Roadgear looks good.

Easy

Full timr RV'er, where we park is home. No fixed address or location.
    Quote Originally Posted by Screamineagle View Post

The smaller black objects are the sensors and transmitters to the module with the display. They transmit the pressure to the display and you can see at a glance including while in motion the pressure. The sensors have to be mounted inside the tire itself. In automotive application they are strapped to the inside of the rim with the large worm drive strap. It would take a very large strap to work on the motorcycle wheels
    DEFINITION OF A VETERAN A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
    Author Unknown

I have this system on my R12GS Adv. $189 invested in safety - that's how I justified it.

Three levels of warning are provided including a visual indication (via ultra-bright alert icon) of a deviation from required pressure, a significant drop in tire pressure levels and, excessively high temperature.

I've only had mine on for 1 year - the batteries last for 6yr. Several people I know have had them installed for over 2 years with no problems. I haven't heard of any issues other than one being damaged by the guy doing a tire change even after he was informed about the right procedure.

Edit: there are no tire balance issues at all - they are as accurate as any gauge I've tested.

Dave

Thanks to all!

Thanks to all and I am sure each has its place but I decided on the Roadgear gauge which seems to fit my particular problem. Seems expensive but I didn't get much for Christmas this year!
    Last edited by Fritzc; 05-20-2007 at 08:41 PM.