• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

DeLorme vs Microsoft Streets

dpmonk

P Monk
Good article by Bradford Benn.

I have been considering a new map program since my MS is a 2000 year.

Does the DeLorme show more secondary roads at a higher range than the Microsoft?

My complaint with MS is that you have to zoom down to 70 mile range to see the secondary roads. Farm to Market, Ranch Roads etc.

Does the DeLorme allow you to reroute by clicking on route and dragging to another point like the Microsoft?

I will check this out as I do not remember at the moment.... give me a day or two. Something about traveling for work at the moment.

I am glad you enjoyed the article.

Delorme does not allow one to click and drag the route. One would need to right click and add a via.

In terms of resolution... a picture is worth a thousand words.

Attachments

• Resolution.gif
    Resolution.gif
    81.3 KB · Views: 184
Thanks for the information. You've probably saved a number of people from getting lost.

Like you say, a picture is indeed worth a thousand words.

Easy :usa

Hey now,

That was a great article.

If you ask Iron Butt Riders they are in agreement with Brad on most if not all of his observations.

Having said this if you are a navigational geek and have the time to really learn software *and* you may use a laptop connected to a GPS while moving the Delorme product is far superior.

For me Delorme is better because I can insert Vias (instead of dragging a route). I also like tagging waypoints as draw objects and then exporting them to the GPS and I rarely if ever build a route in put it in the GPS unless I use the Garmin software to build the route. The advantage is a via is not handled as a waypoint, in Streets and Trips the only way to add a road to your route is to drag it or tag it as a waypoint. I think that if you drag a road and then add a waypoint when it recalculates it reverts back to the previous route.

In the 2005 Iron Butt Rally I had a tablet PC connected to a GPS running Delorme. I would also select my next waypoint as a destination in the GPS. I found after a few days that the routing from the GARMIN 2610 was superior to what DeLorme was generating on the go.

In my opinion MS is better for planning and Delorme is better for navigating.

Best,

Rob Nye

Back