• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Garmin 2720 - should I buy?

Emoto

Hi guys & gals,

I currently use a Garmin GPSMap60C and like it a lot, but on long trips, I have to be careful or I run out of maps. This has me thinking about getting a GPS that holds the whole country at one time.

If I find a 2720 brand new for $350-400.00, is it worth getting? I don't care about MP3 players, cell phones, XM radio or weather reports, and I don't care about using it off the bike.

There are other models that also hold all of North America, but they all seem more expensive.

What say you?

Hi guys & gals,

I currently use a Garmin GPSMap60C and like it a lot, but on long trips, I have to be careful or I run out of maps. This has me thinking about getting a GPS that holds the whole country at one time.

If I find a 2720 brand new for $350-400.00, is it worth getting? I don't care about MP3 players, cell phones, XM radio or weather reports, and I don't care about using it off the bike.

There are other models that also hold all of North America, but they all seem more expensive.

What say you?

I bet the Zumo 450 is just what you are looking for and pretty close to your price range. Not sure if they have been released yet

My opinion is absolutely yes. I own both the 2610 and the 2720 and while I would recommend them both, I find the 2720 a lot easier to use, especially for motorcycle use. The screen is also much easier to read due to the better resolution. Btw, I use them both everyday. One is on my Harley and one is on my 12GS. When I take one off to use in the car or take with me on business trips it is the 2720 I reach for every time.

I bet the Zumo 400 is just what you are looking for and pretty close to your price range

Yes, I was kind of interested in that one. The 400 doesn't come with the map CD/DVD, though, so I would have to buy that separately for $100-130, so I could do my route planning on the PC. Also the Zumo seems like it might be a little more simplified than I realy need, but am not sure. The Zumo does have the fast new chip, though.

There is also a different, newer chip set in the Zumo which is supposed to be more sensitive to the satellites. I doubt if this would make much of a difference if you ride in the open. But it you do a lot of city riding or hills and valleys then there could be a different.

Make sure a mount is readily available for your bike to accommodate the 2720.

Have fun! It will come in handy if you are coming to the Highland Fling :wave

There is also a different, newer chip set in the Zumo which is supposed to be more sensitive to the satellites. I doubt if this would make much of a difference if you ride in the open. But it you do a lot of city riding or hills and valleys then there could be a different.

Make sure a mount is readily available for your bike to accommodate the 2720.

Have fun! It will come in handy if you are coming to the Highland Fling :wave

I've wondered about that. I have heard that the new chip set is marvelously sensitive, but would the 2720 be any worse than my 2 year old GPSMap 60C? I find it to be acceptably sensitive.

As a geocacher and mobile device nerd, I can tell you the SIRF chipset in the Zumo rocks. I have several GPS units and any of the ones with SIRF I can easily pull sats from the kitchen table. All the others fail.

I have been using a 2620. I really like it but it cannot be used on my 1150gs because it is sensitive to vibration due to the hard drive in it. I recently recieved a 2720. It is slightly different than the 2620 but I do like it. It is recomended for motorcycles. Easy to operate and great screen. You can set the screen for 3d or 2d. Touratech makes a good mount. I would recommend the 2720 for the price diffinetly.I paid $359.00 for mine. It is a Garmin factory refurbished with a new warranty. Good luck, Pete

Thanks to everyone who has responded. One lingering question is how do I get the audio out of the 2720? I can't seem to find out if it has a jack on it. I want to be able to grab the audio (mostly for the "turn here" stuff) and pipe it in with my music and radar detector.

Ok, found the audio solution. Garmin sells a power cord with an audio jack:

010-10495-02xl.jpg

Text here: http://shop.garmin.com/accessory.jsp...0-10495-02

Ok, after much thought and thrashing around on several forums, I pulled the trigger on the 2720. :deal

Should have it by the weekend. It is supposed to snow. :doh

price?

Ok, after much thought and thrashing around on several forums, I pulled the trigger on the 2720. :deal

Should have it by the weekend. It is supposed to snow. :doh

Where and how much? Been shopping a lot too.
Charles

Back