• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Early Arrival Camping Destination

Early Arrival Plans

from the looks of things, you got two options:

Just crash early, and base from the rally site for your rides (it would be really nice if you didn't), or "JUST PICK A LIKELY LOOKING CAMPGROUND, AND GO THERE." [emphasis added]

Start a new thread here announcing where you'll be, and I bet you cash you won't be alone. Keep the thread alive here, and it'll be seen by others who will show up. Probably the best course, based on what we've read so far in this thread.

Drif10,
What you suggest above is what I tried to do in my original post, as follows:

"For whatever it is worth, I plan to arrive a week early and camp at Lake Pike State Park (approximately 5+ mile southwest of West Bend). I would not mind "doubling up" & sharing my campsite with others, as we did last year at Lake Carmi. I have lots of sights planned to see in Wisconsin for the week and I'm open to further suggestions. There appears to be a lot to see in Wisconsin. I will head out in a different direction each day, using my campsite at Lake Pike State Park as a "base" camp. Others are welcome to join me. We can make plans each evening around a campfire, as we did last year in Vermont."

After touring Wisconsin for the week prior to the rally, I plan to get to the rally a couple of days early and volunteer, probably in Registration, as I have done before. Registration is a great place to meet & greet old aquaintences.

Regards,
Richard, BMWMOA #87222 (also BMWRA & COG member)

Nearby "Early Arrival" Campground

Richard,

We had the designated (and subsidized) camping at Lake Carmi [Vermont]because we felt that if we were not going to be able to accomodate early arrivals we better have a place for them to go. The other thing is the camping in a nice state park is always better than the camping in a fairground. I was surprised that more people enjoy Carmi, it is a real gem and unlike a fairground you could have a fire.

I like your idea [of everyone meeting at Lake Pike State Park] and if I arrive early I'll join you. As it is now my plans are for a nice three or even four day tour from Rhode Island to arrive to the rally either Thursday evening of Friday morning.

Best,

Rob Nye
2006 Rally Chair

Rob,
I would be glad to have you join me at Lake Pike State Park campground, if you arrive early to the West Bend WI Rally. I plan to be there from July 6th to July 11th and plan to go out for sight-seeing rides each day. Hope others can join us as well. There is a good chance that I will volunteer to work in registration, as I have done in the past.

I liked the idea of the local Vermont MOA Club representatives being at Lake Carmi in Vermont last year. I would have gladly paid for their coffee, muffins, bagels, etc that they provided each morning ... free of charge. Many of us did purchase their club T-shirts at the rally site to help defray their costs. I also appreciated the Vermont MOA Club's representatives good advice on sites to see and roads to travel in the surrounding area.

Perhaps, in the future, the BMWMOA rally chairperson can designate a "Camping Coordinator" from a local BMW Club to designate a campground where early arrivals can meet, and post the location on rally literature/website. That local BMW Club may wish to have club representatives stop by and, at least, say "hello" to the arrivals, and, perhaps, provide services (e.g. coffee, firewood, etc) for a fee. My experience tells me, early arrivals would gladly support a local Club's treasury, in return for their services.
Richard

I would also agree with Richard's suggestion. Lake Carmi was well done.The Vt BMW group was most helpful .:thumb

I liked the idea of the local Vermont MOA Club representatives being at Lake Carmi in Vermont last year. I would have gladly paid for their coffee, muffins, bagels, etc that they provided each morning ... free of charge. Many of us did purchase their club T-shirts at the rally site to help defray their costs. I also appreciated the Vermont MOA Club's representatives good advice on sites to see and roads to travel in the surrounding area.

Perhaps, in the future, the BMWMOA rally chairperson can designate a "Camping Coordinator" from a local BMW Club to designate a campground where early arrivals can meet, and post the location on rally literature/website. That local BMW Club may wish to have club representatives stop by and, at least, say "hello" to the arrivals, and, perhaps, provide services (e.g. coffee, firewood, etc) for a fee. My experience tells me, early arrivals would gladly support a local Club's treasury, in return for their services.
Richard

A local just being there to offer suggestions for rides, places to see, places to eat, is a great idea. :thumb Every club has a few people that know the area well, and can remember just where that little place was with the awesome pie. :eat

if i get there early i plan on camping on hodag's lawn :ha

I'm so eager to get there that I may be early too. It would be my honour to help set up, but if they don't need me then I might camp out by the gate and be first in line when the gate opens! :laugh

Here is some information if you are planning on using the Wisconsin State Parks, a person can make reservation online for the dates that you are going to use the camp grounds. From my travels some state only use the first come only policy which leaves you guessing if you have a camp site or not.. Pike lake only has 32 camp sites which about 10 miles away from the rally site. The web site to register is http://dnr.wi.gov/ and this site will give you information on all the WI State Parks. The State of Wisconsin also charges a vehicle admission sticker per vehicle the fees are for using the state parks.
2007 sticker fees
Sticker fees Annual Half price* Daily One-hour
WI resident $25 $12.50 $7 $5
WI resident age 65 and older $10 N/A $3 N/A
Non-resident $35 $17.50 $10 $5
Bus, Wisconsin $10
Bus, out of state $14
ÔÇó Half-price annual stickers are available for additional vehicles registered to the same household address.
This is a list fees to use the WI State Parks.

State Parks, Southern Forests, Recreation Areas, and Trails
Camping fees Per site per night
WI resident $10 to $12
Non-resident $12 to $14
Extra charge for electricity $5
Extra charge for water view $3

Reservation fees Per reservation
Reservation fee $10
Reservation cancellation fee $5
Fee for changing reservation site or dates $8

Group Camping Fees
Number of people Nightly fee
Non-electric sites
1-20 $40
21-30 $60
31-40 $80
41-50 $100
51-60 $120
61-70 $140
For groups of more than 70, add $20 for each increment of 10 people, to a maximum of $300 per group site.

Northern Forest Campgrounds
WI resident $9 to $12
Non-resident $11 to $14

Reservation fee $10

Nelson Dewey and Yellowstone Lake Group Camping Fees
Electric sites
1-20 $60
21-30 $80
31-40 $100

Beginning Memorial Day Weekend 2006, there will be a $3 per site per night increase for camping on Memorial Day through Labor Day and on Friday and Saturday nights in September and October at the following places:
Big Bay State Park
Devil's Lake State Park
Hartman Creek State Park
Kohler-Andrae State Park
Mirror Lake State Park
Peninsula State Park
Point Beach State Forest
Willow River State Park

WI State Park Camping Fees

Here is some information if you are planning on using the Wisconsin State Parks, a person can make reservation online for the dates that you are going to use the camp grounds. From my travels some state only use the first come only policy which leaves you guessing if you have a camp site or not.. Pike lake only has 32 camp sites which about 10 miles away from the rally site. The web site to register is http://dnr.wi.gov/ and this site will give you information on all the WI State Parks. The State of Wisconsin also charges a vehicle admission sticker per vehicle the fees are for using the state parks.
2007 sticker fees
Sticker fees Annual Half price* Daily One-hour
WI resident $25 $12.50 $7 $5
WI resident age 65 and older $10 N/A $3 N/A
Non-resident $35 $17.50 $10 $5
Bus, Wisconsin $10
Bus, out of state $14
ÔÇó Half-price annual stickers are available for additional vehicles registered to the same household address.
This is a list fees to use the WI State Parks.

State Parks, Southern Forests, Recreation Areas, and Trails
WI resident $10 to $12
Non-resident $12 to $14
Extra charge for water view $3

Reservation fee $10

Group Camping Fees
Non-electric sites
1-20 $40
21-30 $60
31-40 $80
41-50 $100
51-60 $120
61-70 $140
For groups of more than 70, add $20 for each increment of 10 people, to a maximum of $300 per group site.

Michael (vetbmwrider),

Thank you very much for your detailed information regarding (early arrival) camping at Wisconsin State Parks.

Because of the Wisconsin State vehicle admissions fee, in addition to the Wisconsin State camping fee, plus higher fees for out-of-state visitors at State campgrounds (NOTE: I would expect the majority of early arrivals would be from out-of-state), I was hoping that the Rally Chairperson (or her camping cordinator designee) would recommend an appropiate campground for early arrivals to meet. For example, perhaps BMWMOA early arrivals could qualify for the Group Camping Fees, if a State park was recommended, thereby saving us all some money. OR, the Rally Chairperson (or her camping cordinator designee) could recommend a non-State (private or county) campground that would give us all a discount, in return for many mid-week early arrival campers. Whatever campground was selected, it would have to be announced on the BMWMOA website, so we all know where to go. To get a group rate, or other discounted rates, it probably would have to be arranged by a Wisconsin resident and BMWMOA designee.

In addition, if a local BMW Club sponsored the early arrival camping, they could charge for firewood, coffee, etc to fill their club's treasury, and provide sight-seeing hints to early arrivals. The total early arrival camping administration could be turned over to a BMWMOA club member and his local BMW club, so the Rally Chairperson would not have any additional headaches, as planning the Rally is enough.

I would gladly volunteer to assist the camping coordinator once I arrived at the early arrival campground on July 6, 2007.

Regards,
Richard

County parks don't charge a high fee for camping. there is no residency requirement.

Horicon Ledge park is nice. I've been going there since a kid. Let me know how many would be interested in a group camp and I could call the county guys, to maybe set something up.

Back