• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Well, we tried.

HarveyMushman

And succeeded, partly.

See, a friend just bought a GS Adventure and wanted to get it dirty. That part we managed well enough. But we also wanted to ride up to the summit of Reddish Knob, highest point in northern Virginia, but we didn't accomplish that goal.

A succession of quick and nonstraight paved roads led us to here, FS87.
1754150-L.jpg

And things started out well enough, with mostly smooth and hardpack dirt or gravel.
1755179-L-1.jpg

Pretty soon however, we started encountering a bit of mud and then ice in the shadier spots. We continued up the hill.
1754155-L.jpg

After more mud and a number of switchbacks we rode free of the trees into a ridgetop clearing with views of the Blue Ridge on either side. Nice.
1754157-L.jpg

Things quickly degenerated from there, with the snow and ice covering the road. After a few hundred uphill yards of both-feet-on-the-ground-as-outriggers "riding" we conceded that conditions were not going to improve with more elevation so we stopped.
1755188-L-1.jpg

If you think riding uphill on ice is fun you should try it going downhill! :eek No bikes were dropped or harmed in the making of this folly.

Once down below the main ice elevation, we tried a few other trails but determined they were also fairly unfriendly to 600-lb. "dual sport" bikes, especially ones like mine with street tires.
1754163-L.jpg

So we gave up on the dirt and enjoyed a very spirited ride toward home along some of the twistier bits of pavement the Virginia DOT has on offer.

Sure beat watchin' the Redskins!

Happy New Year, all!

Niiiiice!

:thumb

Glad to see you guys are getting out. Is Steve head over heels for that GS or what?

Riders in The Snow...(everybody sing)

Personally I would much rather see ride reports involving SNOW, ICE and (I assume) colder temps. Enough of all this coastal oceanside meandering in the sun.
Bring on the riders in the snow.

To the tune of Riders in The Storm by The Doors)

Riders in the snow,
Shivering we go,
We put on lots of clothes,
And our thermal panty hose.

Now that I have started this, I look to you - my beemer brothers and sisters to help me finish the songs. More verse and chorus work would be greatly appreciated (especially since we can't hear you singing!!!)

You got it, Cliffy!

I was running down the road today, thinking of all these clowns on the coast that were probably able to be out riding today, so I had to snap a few pics to show them what REAL winter is all about. Oops, sorry they aren't taken from my RT, or someone's flashy GS....... ;) It is supposed to hit -10F tonight, and -30F windchill tomorrow. Cold. But hey, Spring is right around the corner, uh huh. Take care, everyone.

Attachments

• crappy.jpg
    crappy.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 146
At least the sun finally peeked out.

For a little while, anyway.

Attachments

• sunshine.jpg
    sunshine.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 138
KBasa said:
:jawdrop

Suddenly, I'm 10 years old and living in Wayzata, MN again.

All I remember about being 10 is that the cold didn't bother me then, there was too many fun things to do and winter just didn't feel so bad. Now, at 44, the bones start to tell a different story. I hope to relocate like you someday, Dave, but with all my roots here who knows, I may just have to grin and bear it. I just need to reach that retirement so I can travel in the winter months. Here's hoping for good health.

Here is another reminder of Mn for ya, then I will quit terrorizing you. :D

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 121
Rich said:
Here is another reminder of Mn for ya, then I will quit terrorizing you. :D

Yikes!

I just remember the local TV station putting the temp up like a football score in the morning. We didn't have any kind of thinsulate or other fancy insulation, so -30 was crazy cold. I had a paper route delivering the Minneapolis Star. There was usually snow on the ground, so I had a sled with a box in it to hold the papers. On Sundays, my dad would take me around in the station wagon. We usually had to clear the snow out of the paper tubes to get them delivered.

Man. We've got 29F here in NorCal this morning, which is unusually cold. I was going to go for a ride to the Bovine for coffee, but I'd be there's ice on the back of Lucas Valley Road. Perhaps I'll wait until the sun's been up a bit.

Rich, I'm going to think warm thoughts and send them your way!

:wow

I moved out to the NW to get away from freezing temps. and snow, yet it has snowed here in Olympia for almost a week. Yesterday it got just warm enough to melt the snow so it could freeze before the next bout of snow, now the roads are terrible and it is 10 degrees tonight. The only thing that helps is that I've wised up pretty quick this time and I'm moving to southern California within the month!

Another Song

To: Eagles Take It Easy

Well, I'm running down the road
tryin' to warm up my load
I've got four year's seasons on
my mind,
One that wants to snow me,
One that wants to blow me, 8^)
Two that are much more kind.

Take It easy, take it easy
Don't let the sound of frozen gloves
drive you crazy

Light the stove while you still can
don't even try to understand
Just find a place to make your stand
and take it easy.

Suffering from withdrawal!

It started doing that white stuff last night. Woke up to a couple inches on the ground, forecast for maybe some more, to be accompanied by no temperature units. I did get to ride on the first, along with getting out in the garage and replacing cables on the airhead. Take it when you can get it!

Good tune Magwa

Like them snow songs.
We are singing them here in W Michigan. After an incredibly warm week-end (mid 50's) and a couple days of warm riding, we are at 15 degrees with all kinds of white stuff. Makes me long for the days of my little Kaw 250 (or was it 175cc?) enduro when I used to make tracks in the snow.

Back