• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K75S rear lights to LED lights - turn signals,brake, and running lights

For years I have thought of up grading the rear lights on my bike . The rear turn signals are to large / thick and look "boxy" I like the newer flexible/brighter/lights that are out now. The rear running and stop lights are not bright enough, if I go up in watts I'll cook the lens. Can I go up in wattage from a 21 to a 25 on the front / rear turn signal bulbs?
What has other K owner's done. I'm not trying to "pimp my ride" just make it noticeable from behind that A- I am stopped B- I have a rear running light C- I am turnning.
I got pulled over before because a cop thought I had no running light working or on?

Any thoughts K owners.

Joe Avin
joeavin@mit.edu

For years I have thought of up grading the rear lights on my bike . The rear turn signals are to large / thick and look "boxy" I like the newer flexible/brighter/lights that are out now. The rear running and stop lights are not bright enough, if I go up in watts I'll cook the lens. Can I go up in wattage from a 21 to a 25 on the front / rear turn signal bulbs?
What has other K owner's done. I'm not trying to "pimp my ride" just make it noticeable from behind that A- I am stopped B- I have a rear running light C- I am turnning.
I got pulled over before because a cop thought I had no running light working or on?

Any thoughts K owners.

Joe Avin
joeavin@mit.edu

I have a couple of K75's and actually like the look of the turn signals - but to each his own. I agree about the tail light not being bright enough, so I bought some HyperLights (www.hyperlights.com) and installed them in the rear tail light assembly.

These are two (8?) LED modules which mount inside (or outside) your tail light lens. When you put on the brake they flash and are very bright & attention getting. The ones I have are off the rest of the time.

There is also a company called Run-N-Lites (www.run-n-lites.com). They make a two-filament conversion kit for the turn signals on your K-bike which provides true running lights all the time with a brighter "flash" during turn signal operation. They also make LED modules much like the Run-N-Lites designed to augment your brake & tail light. My K75S came with the Run-N-Lites conversion in the turn signals, and then I added the HyperLights to the tail light/brake. The combination is very effective.

I put an LED version of the Run-N-Lites on my K1200RS and these are on all the time (much brighter than the stock tail light bulb) and then flash when the brake is applied. They may have a similar product for use on earlier K-bikes.

In my experience, both are good products and both companies were very helpful when I contacted them with questions.

The rear running and stop lights are not bright enough, if I go up in watts I'll cook the lens. Can I go up in wattage from a 21 to a 25 on the front / rear turn signal bulbs? What has other K owner's done.

I bought a kit at the national 2 years ago that converted the entire lens to a stop/tail light on the K-bike... I can't remember the name of the compamny but it was an easy conversion. It put 4 bulbs in the taillight lense and changed the taillight from the 4 x 2" light to a 4 x 4" light. I will see if I can find the mfg and drop it on you. :type

Any thoughts K owners.

Joe Avin
joeavin@mit.edu

Ok here is the kit I bought... it made a signifiant differance

http://www.run-n-lites.com/run-n-lites/K-T-2.asp

Hey thanks for all your feed back.
I'm not going the hyperlights route - around the license....
Mike and Greg - I've made up my own k tail 2 enhancement light set up - YES , I love making the sides lite up - my concern is the amount of heat that builds up - I quess I could drill some air holes in the rear tail section / storage area ?

FYI - U Haul dealer near me was unloading wiring and bulbs from their trucks that look the same as run-n-lites minus the metal mounting brackets.

Wuli959 - I have looked into the BRAKE! LED taillight - in my case I might have to take a dremel tool to the light housing to open it up to aline / mount the unit.

But I found a guy R11S - who posted his turn signals with LED and stock bulbs all in one unit. Page 2 from the link that wuli959 found above - I might contact him to find out more. Thanks for all your help and response to my Q.

Joe

But I found a guy R11S - who posted his turn signals with LED and stock bulbs all in one unit. Page 2 from the link that wuli959 found above - I might contact him to find out more. Thanks for all your help and response to my Q.

Joe

Sounds like the Run-N-Lites setup. They make LED blocks specifically to mount inside the rear turn signals of "modern" Oilheads and K-bikes. I put a set on my K1200RS along with clear lenses and they look great - very bright both as running lights and brake lights.

Greg,
I don't think so. R11S set up looks to GOOD to be run-n-lites!

R11S's signals looks stock with sometype of LED unit behind the bulb, he stuff it behind the reflector ( drilled out holes ) and between the outer shell of the light unit.

forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=9257&page=2&highlight=led

I like R11S's idea - I'll give it a try.

I found a guy locally who has a dumpster full of rear turn signals from new bikes that "kids " want all in one units under tail - brake/turn signals - I'll stop by to see if I can get a hand full to play around with and practic with.

Joe

Greg,
I don't think so. R11S set up looks to GOOD to be run-n-lites!

R11S's signals looks stock with sometype of LED unit behind the bulb, he stuff it behind the reflector ( drilled out holes ) and between the outer shell of the light unit.

forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=9257&page=2&highlight=led

I like R11S's idea - I'll give it a try.

I found a guy locally who has a dumpster full of rear turn signals from new bikes that "kids " want all in one units under tail - brake/turn signals - I'll stop by to see if I can get a hand full to play around with and practic with.

Joe

You're right, those don't look like the product from Run-N-Lites http://www.run-n-lites.com/run-n-lites/prod-LiteBuddys.asp. Really bad picture on their site, but their product keeps the stock bulb and adds running lights and flashing brake lights with an LED module which fits to the inside of the housing at the base of the bulb socket.

Lots of good options. LEDs are one of the greatest things to ever come along for lighting. :thumb

Diy?

Depending on your comfort level, it isn't that bad to breadboard up a batch of LEDs yourself. I've got sequential arrow-like turn signals & a curtain-like brake light on my K11. Email me for details as interested, they're based on National Semiconductors' LM3914 dot/bar driver... <<<)))

Back