Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bike purchase gone bad- friend needs advice

lkmcycles

purchase gone bad

Hi, thanks for all the info. I was able to find the original owner on my own and have requested he complete the paper work required from the TX DMV. He is reluctant to get involved. I have contacted legal and the local fraud division of Nicols Hills OKC and am awaiting a return call to file a complaint. From what I've been told the only hope is for a legal title transfer is for the "couple" I purchased the bike from is to convince the true title holder to complete the paper work from the DMV which I sent him today. I have communicated my legal intentions to the "couple"

mrich12000

Thumbs up Percerverance

Glad to here that the end is near "wade a go"
    Happy Easter

On the Road
    I've bought cars like this & you should make the check out jointly to the owner AND the lien holder. I would also have contact info for the lien holder and talk to them to confirm where the title goes after they release it (me). The person you bought it from could sign a "power of attorney for a motor vehicle" form that would allow you to re-title it in your name without them present.
    If it works out, your friend is lucky. Otherwise, file criminal charges with the proper jurisdiction. Criminal charges and the possible jail threat will get their attention a lot better that civil action (lawsuit).

lkmcycles

Completed

I resolved the issue by getting a sureity bond on the bike at a cost of 120.00

Quote Originally Posted by lkmcycles View Post
    I resolved the issue by getting a sureity bond on the bike at a cost of 120.00
    How did the surety bond help resolve the issue? Were the prior owners somehow compelled to complete the title transfer for the bike? Or did the
    purchaser's money basically get refunded? Who has the bike?

Please provide some more details for those of us that may one day be in similar circumstances. [Although personally I've had great success in
    transactions buying and selling bikes - but no liens have been involved, just cash and signatures].

lkmcycles

Resolution

I purchased the bike from a couple in OKC, they never registered it and according to the TX DMV they did not have the right to resell the bike as they were never the legal owners since they never had a clean title. I located the original owner in Michigan, and found that he had never sent the title to the OKC couple. Well once they received it they signed it and then gave it to me. Duh...I told them the title was no good as it was and they would need to register in OK and then sign it over to me. But... I was stupid and gave them the money before the title was given (all this was done in person) they agreeded and I asked for the return of the money minus $500, the agreeded upon earnest money. They refused the return of the cash, and I was not about to hand over the title.

I went to the local DMV and filled out miles of forms stating the facts and applied for a sureity bond, I had to find a bailsman to issue one at a cost of $120.00. Then back to the DMV for the plates. The bond ensures that if the original owner tries to claim the vehicle the bond will cover the reimbursement cost to the seeker.

Finally..the end..I have the bike and the title is on the way

best possible case

"Where was the racial profiling? Neither I nor anyone else said anything about race. Please lead us through your logic that brings race into this discussion. Thank you."

POST REMOVED by author because of offense taken by another member. It was not what I intended it to communicate, and you took it all wrong, Flash, my mistake.

Once again, my error. Now dont "Imus" me, please, I'm just a dumb scooter head "who made a mistake" in profiling white America, not you!
    Last edited by redclfco; 04-17-2007 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Author speaks out

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flash412 View Post
    ALL Americans and in fact all humans should be offended by both redclfco and dvandkq's hateful posts.

Personal attacks are not supposed to be allowed on this website.
    I guess the moderators find it acceptable for people to call me a racist.

(P.S. Oklahoma is not in the South.)
    What did I ever say that was hateful?

BTW - I just re-read the thread - no hate there by me, so I'm baffled.
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

Imus Responds

Flash,

Your comment bothers me. I was jus joking around, and said what obviously was offensive. I apolgise to you AND AMERICA! Dont wanno pickle jus wnta ride my motorcycle!

Take away my 40 yr radio show, take away everything here, I am sorry, I said some dumb words BUT DON"T I MEAN DON"T

Take away my BMW!

Quote Originally Posted by redclfco View Post
    Flash,
    Your comment bothers me. I was jus joking around, and said what obviously was offensive. I apolgise to you AND AMERICA! Dont wanno pickle jus wnta ride my motorcycle!
    Take away my 40 yr radio show, take away everything here, I am sorry, I said some dumb words BUT DON"T I MEAN DON"T
    Take away my BMW!
    Redclfco,
    Thank you. Apparently we had a misunderstanding. I accept your explanation and your deletion of the post. You and I are good. If we meet in person, please remind me that I owe you a beer (or other frosty beverage of your choice).

- Flash
    Click here for Tales of Motorcycles and Life
    - BMW MOA Lifetime Member #18854