• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Lower bike

wvcajun

Certified Speed Freak
Any off you guys/gals ever lowered a '77 or similar R100RS? I happen to have been blessed with two legs that easily fit 29 inch inseem pants and my current bike poses a bit of a challenge for me. Please give thoughts for and against lowering the suspension. Also, how is it done, etc.

thanks
matthew

A guy as or shorter than you won the Paris-Dakar rally on a *raised* suspension R80G/S. I recommend leaving your BMW as ex-factory. A bike besides an RS, i.e. with wider bars, will be easier to handle. RSs are trucks (and I ride one).

I don't think I'd mess with the suspension. What about getting a seat custom made? Should be able to drop an inch that way.

My inseam is 29"-30" and the bike fits fine.

How long have you had it? Is it just something you need to get used to?

I have the same inseam (about 30"). I am able to balance the bike with just the tips of my boots touching on both sides. Is that enough? I have only had the bike about 3 months. The only real problem I have found with my tall bike is that if I want to push/roll the bike during parking, I have to dismount and do it the uncool way.

MG

Yeah, sounds about the same as me. I'm probably closer to a 29" inseam, though.

To get both feet on the ground, I'm pretty much on the balls of my feet. I'm on my tip toes to rock the bike off of centerstand. Backing up without getting off the bike isn't a problem I'm on level ground

I really try to avoid parking downhill. Any sort of grade and I have to dismount to backup.

Also, thinking about it, I don't put both feet down in traffic. I'll just plop one foot down and lean the bike over a little bit so that one foot is flat. Usually, what happens is that the right foot is braking, the left shifts down (to first for short lights/stop signs, to neutral for long lights). If I'm in first, I'll plant the left foot if necessary, then take off. If I drop to neutral, then I wait out the light with my left foot on the ground, then before or as the light changes, lean the bike to the right, plant my right foot, then engage first gear.

I think that's what I do. I'll pay attention next time and check. I hardly ever have both feet on the ground - like you said only for reversing.

short bike

A fellow named Ken McHugh from Wisconsin, (Appleton, I think) lowered an R80 for his SO, Arleen. She stood about five foot tall.
Someone help me here... Ken was an Ambassador. Is he still active, and does someone have an address/phone #???

Mac

Short legs, High bikes

This discussion makes me feel a lot better about my R80RT. I have the same problem, 29" inseams and a bike designed for big German's. The suggestion about a lower seat sounds like the best one. Modifying suspension is a touchy way to enable a person to "touch" the ground.

Back