• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Boston to WB North of the lake

rob nye

Ritalin Poster Boy
Greetings,

Being realistic there are two ways I could do the National. One is to slab out IB style and be there in 24 hours, play for a day and hit it home. The advantage is minimal time off, the disadvantage is I travel alone, plus the National will be such a gas that I will want to spend more than one day there.

The other is to take four days to get there, spend two on site and leave Saturday to come home. :thumb

I am looking for any tips on campgrounds, roads etc for buliding a nice rolling tour from RI to West Bend going north of the lakes. I figure the first night will be in the Adirondacks where I would like to post up for two days at a nice remote park on a lake.

Monday to Wednesday would be 350+- days. Monday night could be in Perry Sound area (need campground suggestions). Tuesday it looks like a night in Sault Saint Marie could be nice and perhaps a B&B would be good for the last night before arriving at the rally.

If anyone has any experience along this route or can offer some campground suggestions it would be fantastic.

Thanks,

Rob, if you're coming up to THE GREAT WHITE NORTH, here's a route that you'll find relaxing and scenic with enough turns to keep you occupied 'til Parry Sound.From the border at Lansdowne (Alexandria Bay), head west along the 401 until you get to Napanee and take HWY 41 north. Continue north until you get to Denbigh and go west on HWY 28 to Bancroft. From there you can either take HWY 60 to Huntsville or take HWY 28 to 503 to Tory Hill, from there take 121 to Haliburton then 118 over to HWY 35. Go north to Dorset then take 117 west to HWY 11 at Bracebridge. You'll need to go south a little to hook on to 118. Go west to HWY 69 then north to Sudbury. From Sudbury it's basically two-lane road with a bit of four-lane twenty miles or so before you'll get to the Soo.If you want to camp in Parry Sound, Oastler Provincial Park is a small but accomodating place. You might want to try getting into Kilbear Provincial Park as well. Get on the Travel Ontario web-site and there should be lots of info about B+B's etc.

Woodgrain

Greetings,

Being realistic there are two ways I could do the National. One is to slab out IB style and be there in 24 hours, play for a day and hit it home. The advantage is minimal time off, the disadvantage is I travel alone, plus the National will be such a gas that I will want to spend more than one day there.

The other is to take four days to get there, spend two on site and leave Saturday to come home. :thumb

I am looking for any tips on campgrounds, roads etc for buliding a nice rolling tour from RI to West Bend going north of the lakes. I figure the first night will be in the Adirondacks where I would like to post up for two days at a nice remote park on a lake.

Monday to Wednesday would be 350+- days. Monday night could be in Perry Sound area (need campground suggestions). Tuesday it looks like a night in Sault Saint Marie could be nice and perhaps a B&B would be good for the last night before arriving at the rally.

If anyone has any experience along this route or can offer some campground suggestions it would be fantastic.

Thanks,

If you're in the Adirondacks, there are a ton of campgrounds around Long Lake, if I recall correctly.

Be sure to see the locks in the Soo. My mom grew up there.

Rob, if you're coming up to THE GREAT WHITE NORTH, here's a route that you'll find relaxing and scenic with enough turns to keep you occupied 'til Parry Sound.From the border at Lansdowne (Alexandria Bay), head west along the 401 until you get to Napanee and take HWY 41 north. Continue north until you get to Denbigh and go west on HWY 28 to Bancroft. From there you can either take HWY 60 to Huntsville or take HWY 28 to 503 to Tory Hill, from there take 121 to Haliburton then 118 over to HWY 35. Go north to Dorset then take 117 west to HWY 11 at Bracebridge. You'll need to go south a little to hook on to 118. Go west to HWY 69 then north to Sudbury. From Sudbury it's basically two-lane road with a bit of four-lane twenty miles or so before you'll get to the Soo.If you want to camp in Parry Sound, Oastler Provincial Park is a small but accomodating place. You might want to try getting into Kilbear Provincial Park as well. Get on the Travel Ontario web-site and there should be lots of info about B+B's etc.

Woodgrain

I'm also looking for a scenic Northern Route. I'll have to dig out my atlas and check out these roads. My daughter and I are leaving June 16th for the Rally...after Sault St Marie, we'll continue West for about 10 days. :)

I'm also looking for a scenic Northern Route. I'll have to dig out my atlas and check out these roads. My daughter and I are leaving June 16th for the Rally...after Sault St Marie, we'll continue West for about 10 days. :)

You are leaving on the 16th of June?

Woodgrain

Hey now,

THANKS! :thumb

I worked some of your stuff into my route and it looks pretty good.

What kind of speeds should one anticpate on 41 - 18 -118 - 400 to Olaster Lake? That is one of my longer days at almost 400 miles and when on a casual tour I like to make camp in time for happy hour.

Hey now,

THANKS! :thumb

I worked some of your stuff into my route and it looks pretty good.

What kind of speeds should one anticpate on 41 - 18 -118 - 400 to Olaster Lake? That is one of my longer days at almost 400 miles and when on a casual tour I like to make camp in time for happy hour.

It's a good ride, Rob. You'll like it.

60mph will keep you under the radar, and will also keep you out of trouble for a couple of tricky corners. 41 kicks off about 30 miles from my place, and on that one you can run 80, but you'll have to watch out for cops. Good little frit stand in Northbrook, in the Petro-Can parking lot. Bon-Echo Park just past there is one of the nicest campgrounds in the area. Won't be too crowded on a weekday. Right on Mazinaw Lake, and you can rent a canoe for cheap.

Hey Rob,

Enjoy the ride. Unfotunately I won't be able to make this year, not enough time available as I lost about two weeks of vacation and hve too much going on this summer. But I did plan a route earlier, wish I could ride it. Here it is, for what it's worth:

Basic route plan thru Canada: Syracuse NY to Niagara Falls crossing. North thru Bruce Peninsula, ferry crossing to Manitoulin Island, north on Rt 6 to Ontario mainland. Pick up western route, (17?) or backroads to Sault St Marie crossing into Michigan. Continue west along Rt 28 and south along the eastern shore of Wisconsin to the rally in West Bend.

Syracuse to Niagara Falls: 170 miles
Niagara Falls to Tobermory, Ontario (Ferry): 230 miles
Tobermory, Ontario to Sault Ste Marie, MI: 230 miles
Sault Ste Marie, MI to West Bend, WI: 390 miles

Bob

Rob, if you weren't stuck on going to Parry Sound, you could go through Algonquin Park and we could find you some great Polish food in a little place called Wilno. Drif10 is right about the cops on 41. I live at the bottom end of 41, and ride it regularly on a little coffee run we do up to Tweed, through Marlbank and Stoco.I sent you a PM. If you get lost call me.

Woodgrain

How about a ferry across Lake Ontario?

Basic route plan thru Canada: Syracuse NY to Niagara Falls crossing. North thru Bruce Peninsula, ferry crossing to Manitoulin Island, north on Rt 6 to Ontario mainland. Pick up western route, (17?) or backroads to Sault St Marie crossing into Michigan. Continue west along Rt 28 and south along the eastern shore of Wisconsin to the rally in West Bend.

Syracuse to Niagara Falls: 170 miles
Niagara Falls to Tobermory, Ontario (Ferry): 230 miles
Tobermory, Ontario to Sault Ste Marie, MI: 230 miles
Sault Ste Marie, MI to West Bend, WI: 390 miles

Bob[/QUOTE]

In my atlas it shows a ferry just north of Rochester to Toronto, through which I'd like to travel to see friends.

I just found that it's cancelled. See

http://www.rochestertourism.com/rochester-fast-ferry/Schedule.php

i withdraw my question.

Last edited:
Sudbury, ON will remind you of lunar landscape. Big mining community.
And the cars parked by the sides of the road? Berry pickers.
Bring lots of bug spray if you're camping, and the Provincial Parks are nice.

If you cut down Route 2 through Mainistique, MI, watch yourself, the Shagger and DiamonDeb and I all got Excellent Driving Awards there on the way back from Missoula.

Sudbury, ON will remind you of lunar landscape. Big mining community.
And the cars parked by the sides of the road? Berry pickers.
Bring lots of bug spray if you're camping, and the Provincial Parks are nice.

If you cut down Route 2 through Mainistique, MI, watch yourself, the Shagger and DiamonDeb and I all got Excellent Driving Awards there on the way back from Missoula.

Thanks!

Is this a part of Canada where they don't like radar detectors?

Radar detectors

Radar detectors are illegal in Ontario, even if turned off. They must be inaccessible while driving. First offence the detector is confiscated and the fine is something more than $100. The provincial police traffic cars (OPP) have detector detectors, so you're best off to leave it buried in your luggage.

If you keep your speed less than 15km/h (10MPH) over the limit you shouldn't have any problems.

Looks like a nice ride out.

140912302-L.jpg

Back