Thread: 1986 k100 rt alarm system

1986 K100RT, 135000 miles

1986 k100 rt alarm system

Well I got the starter relay problem fixed on this K bike that I just purchased. I am learning as I go, I have had many other bikes but never a BMW. The next question I have is under the seat in the plastic tray that holds the electronic module has another black box with a multi pin connector. It has a plunger on top of it. Could this possibly have been some type of alarm system. I cannot find anyting in the owners manual or in the Clymer manual that I just purchased.

Thanks to all who helped with my relay problem, I took the box apart and cleaned the contacts, while I had the tank off I changed the coolant. If there is anything else you can think of I should do while I have the tank off let me know.

THANKS AGAIN

Yes that is the alarm system module. The key switch for turning it on is on the left side of the bike. I believe there is a long life backup battery in it. I have been meaning to take mine apart to see if I can replace the battery.
    2004 R1150RT 186,800 miles , 1991 K100LT 128,700 miles, 1982 R100RT 106,900 miles
    Total 422,400 BMW miles
    AMA,BMWRA,BMWMOA
    The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.

1986 K100RT, 135000 miles

Talking Alarm System

Quote Originally Posted by kioolt View Post
    Yes that is the alarm system module. The key switch for turning it on is on the left side of the bike. I believe there is a long life backup battery in it. I have been meaning to take mine apart to see if I can replace the battery.
    Thanks for acknowledging what I was suspect of. Funny that the owners manual does not list it as a add on or Clymers Repair manual either. I am going to be working on this bike again today to see if I can't get it on the road. Just purchased it a couple weeks ago, it is a 86 with a 130000 miles on it.
    Thanks again