Thread: Philadelphia to Montreal Honeymoon!

Exclamation Philadelphia to Montreal Honeymoon!

I need some help planning a 7 day round trip. Routes, places to stay, see and eat!.
    SGTBoring

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    A few questions to help us plan...

1) Do you want to spend more time in Canada or in the US?
    2) What beside riding do you want to do?
    3) Hotels?
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

honeymoon

Sarge:

It's about time.

Rinty

Upstate NY Adirondacks

I would recommend taking Rt 9N around Lake George down to Hague. Then take Rt 8 up towards Brant Lake. YOu can continue on Rt 8 to North Creek then catch Rt 28 north past Long Lake and head on up to Lake Placid.
    There are number of places you could stay on the way. In Lake George there is the Sagamore Resort, in the Brant Lake/ North Creek area there is the Friends Lake Inn, in Lake Placid I would recommend the Mirror Lake Inn. All of them are top notch places. In Lake PLacid I would recommend stopping by the Great Adirondack Steak & Seafood. They make thier own beer there and I highly recommend it. There are lots of off bike activities that can be done in Lake Placid as well. I can give more detailed routing if you are interested and if you use a Garmin GPS I could probably send you a gps file with a route.

Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    empeg9000 and Statdawg have given some excellent advice - not much more to add.

Don't miss a stop in Saratoga Springs which has something for everyone. The is a restaurant called Compton's which serves breakfast all day. Good meals and resonable prices.

Stop at the National Museum of Racing - a World Class museum for all things horses.

North of Lake George I-87 is a great road - very scenic even it it is slab.

Statdawg you ought to start a tour guide service!

Quote Originally Posted by rgvilla View Post
    Statdawg you ought to start a tour guide service!

No kidding.
    Mark
    2015 R 1200 GS Adventure

Rally Rat
    Statdawg has given U much info and here is more food for thought. See Old Montreal and the Port area.Website given to U by Statdawg. Some of my favorite restaurants in Old Montreal are " Le Bourlingueur " 363 St Francois Xavier..514-845-3646 & " Bonaparte " at 443 St Francois Xavier...514-844-4368.Smoked Meat is a Montral favorite and U can try it at Schwartz 3864 boul St Laurent or at Dunn's,1249 Metcalfe.
    Good riding along the Richelieu River and the Chateauguay River.Both can be reached in a 20 min ride from downtown. PM me if U want more details.
    Last edited by redrider; 04-02-2007 at 02:48 PM. Reason: spelling

Stronger, Faster, Tougher iRene's Avatar
    This brings back guilty memories...
    I was in my dad's Olds Cutlass with my little sister headed for Montreal from Burlington, VT
    and was just south of Montreal when we hit the tollbooths. I was a stoooopit college student,
    I had US bucks, and went into the attended tollboth and handed the lass my $5.00US,
    she handed me a fistful of change, and pointed at the change basket just ahead. I waved and bid her
    a cheery "Merci" and drove off.

All the freeking flashing lights and alarms went off, and I was horrified.

I had misunderstood- she had not taken the toll, just given me Canadian money in exchange for mine.
    I should have then dropped money in the basket. I was so afraid that we'd get arrested at the border upon our return!
    Who knows? They may still be looking for that navy Cutlass with the Vermont plates.

please, nobody tell on meeeeeeee!
    MOA Ambassador
    Sled Dog Touring Team | RSMaine | MOVermont
    '08 R1200GS | '60 R60

Stronger, Faster, Tougher iRene's Avatar
    Oh, that's right, this thread isn't about flashbacks, but about Montreal!
    Sgt. Boring, are you and Mrs. Boring (she's not going to like the sound of that)
    looping down through Maine or Northern New Hampster?
    MOA Ambassador
    Sled Dog Touring Team | RSMaine | MOVermont
    '08 R1200GS | '60 R60

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by iRene View Post
    Oh, that's right, this thread isn't about flashbacks, but about Montreal!
    Sgt. Boring, are you and Mrs. Boring (she's not going to like the sound of that)
    looping down through Maine or Northern New Hampster?
    Actually She loves the sound of it! Most people think that my last name would be suck; but it is really pretty cool. I always have to introduce my self to new students, clerks, and receptionists as Mr. Boring Just the way it sounds.

We have yet to decide. She wants to spend at least 2 of the seven days in Montreal. I have a membership in KOA and wanted to try one or two nights in there rental "cabins". Otherwise we are wide open. I would like to spend our last night in New York at the Rits (I get to use my ID for a Government rate of 150 per night for a suite!) Plus they let you park you motorcycle on the on the marble sidewalk in front by the Bell Boy station of the Hotel. Otherwise I am looking for scenic, interesting and and safe routes.

SGTBoring