• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Spinal fusion and motorcycling

roostershooter

motorcycle cowboy
Isn't that scary combination! But, that's what I'm facing. In Nov. of 2006 I injured my back while moving a heavy crate at work.The medical term is spondylolisthesis, the forward movement of one vertebrae over the one below it. At this point I have endured two facet injections in my lower back and have gone thru two months of physical therapy in an attempt to reduce pain in my L4 - L5 region. My questions are, have any of you guys went thru with this type of surgery? What has been your result? Would you do it over? Plus or minus? My doctor says that he believes that I will benefit from the surgery and that I won't be under any restrictions, but to be honest, I don't see how a person would not be restricted, because the end result is that you lose some mobility with spinal fusion. I have read just about everything I can find and basically it comes down to an individual decision but the outcome is not known until after the fact. This has all been quite a shock to me as I am in very good health and have not experienced any major health problems. Keeping a positive outlook is important and that is what I'm trying to do. So, if any of you guys have any personal experience, please reply. Thanks.

It'll be a good reason to buy multiple different bikes to try all the riding positions!! Then you can back charge it to the company since they're gonna owe you BIG!

Seriously, good luck! I hope you come out alright!

I crushed 5 lumbar vertebra in my back in 1968 in a car accident. I was in traction for 50+ days flat on my back and had to wear a very restrictive back brace for 2 years. The doctors did a mylogram (it was a long time ago) and said I should not be able to walk. They talked to me about doing a fusion at that time to help with the pain. They said a fusion would make my back stiffer which would give me less mobility. They told me it "might" help with the pain and I could possibly be paralyzed. I elected to live with the pain and have for the last 39 years. Keep in mind, great strides have been made in the last 40 years. I don't know what decision I would make if it happened now and I was at the age I was then.

My back hurts if I overwork it, if I lay wrong or if I have to be on my feet for any length of time (even a long grocery store line). However, I can ride in a car or ride a motorcycle all day without any problem. Riding a motorcycle is more fun and cheaper than golf and I have a good excuse.

Well, I don't have any experience with spinal fusion, but my wife does. She has a harrington rod in her back (titanium) and 9 fused vertabre. The rod is 9" long and I got the X-rays in my safe to proove it. Her surgery was done to correct a 3 dimensional form of scholiosis, and was performed when she was 19. She moves around quite well now, and has no problem riding on the bike. In general, I would say that her life post-surgery (16 years) is quite normal, and only minimally impacted by the rod in her back (her back does not bend).

Back pain can be quite debilitating. I think that the technological advances they have made in this area have been huge in the past 15 to 20 years, and that you would probably really benefit from having it done. I encourage you to get more opinions, none the less.

Best of luck!

Isn't that scary combination! But, that's what I'm facing. In Nov. of 2006 I injured my back while moving a heavy crate at work.The medical term is spondylolisthesis, the forward movement of one vertebrae over the one below it. At this point I have endured two facet injections in my lower back and have gone thru two months of physical therapy in an attempt to reduce pain in my L4 - L5 region. My questions are, have any of you guys went thru with this type of surgery? What has been your result? Would you do it over? Plus or minus? My doctor says that he believes that I will benefit from the surgery and that I won't be under any restrictions, but to be honest, I don't see how a person would not be restricted, because the end result is that you lose some mobility with spinal fusion. I have read just about everything I can find and basically it comes down to an individual decision but the outcome is not known until after the fact. This has all been quite a shock to me as I am in very good health and have not experienced any major health problems. Keeping a positive outlook is important and that is what I'm trying to do. So, if any of you guys have any personal experience, please reply. Thanks.

I would seek a second opinion. Spondylolisthesis does not usually require surgery unless it is a very high grade of slippage. Spinal fusion will put extra stress on the discs on each side of the fusion, and they will eventually break down putting you right back in the same boat. I would do everything I could not to have surgery. And if surgery becomes the only option, I would look for one of the neurosurgeons who are now doing spinal surgery through a scope, which is much less invasive and much less damaging to the surrounding tissue. The resultant rehab, pain, etc is remarkably easier. Of course, YMMV.

I would seek a second opinion. Spondylolisthesis does not usually require surgery unless it is a very high grade of slippage. Spinal fusion will put extra stress on the discs on each side of the fusion, and they will eventually break down putting you right back in the same boat. I would do everything I could not to have surgery. And if surgery becomes the only option, I would look for one of the neurosurgeons who are now doing spinal surgery through a scope, which is much less invasive and much less damaging to the surrounding tissue. The resultant rehab, pain, etc is remarkably easier. Of course, YMMV.

I tend to agree. I had 3 friends that had surgery and they had 2 additional surgeries to correct the neighboring discs.

Spinal Fusion

I had three disks fused just over a year ago. C-3 thru 5. The only limitation is that I can't bend my neck back very far, such as on a sport bike.

I'm fighting an "issue" with my lower back and two blown disks. I would do every thing possible to not to have the surgery.

HTH,

Looks like a mixed bag at this point. I'm holding out for more response. In the mean time thanks for the replies.

Last edited:
My personal philosophy is to get other opinions and pursue other avenues before resorting to surgery. When I injured my shoulder at work last year, the physical therapy made much improvement. The subsequent MRI showed some damage, and the doctor recommended surgery. When I asked about the results, he admitted that it would probably be better.

In talking to those who have worked in the field of rehabilitation after this "scoping", as it was called, I found that there would be a couple of months of severely limited activity and extensive physical therapy to try to return to the state that I was in before the surgery. I continued with exercising the shoulder, and skipped the surgery.

I still have some discomfort at times, but age brings its own aches and pains. The important thing is that this does not limit my activities any. It is just mildly painful to do some things, such as: reach around my back to touch the opposite shoulder blade.

My focus was on the likelihood that all this surgery and rehabilitation would not make it better. Whenever they cut and it does not work out, you might be stuck.

You still have to decide for yourself.

I've put off the surgery for 3 years now.My right leg is not not as strong,but everything else has been ok. Some where down the line it'll have to be done.
But I really don't want to do it!
Hang in there!

In my opinion, the decision to fuse a joint should only be done as a last resort. I've heard of cases where a fusion of lumbar vertebra brings immediate but only temporary pain relief, until the discs above and below the fusion "fail" because of: 1) being asked to provide the motion that the fused segments no longer provide, and 2) a return to the less than ideal habits that most of us abuse our spines with. Good luck.

I had my L-4, L-5 fused in 1999. And I've been riding ever since. Go through the rehab, and take it slow. Only you will be able to tell. I prefer the forward leaning of the R100RS to the straight up of the R80 RT I own. Occasionaly, a bump in the upright position will give the spine a jar, but I really haven't had a problem riding in the last eight years. Now bending over to latch my boots is a problem.

Dave H
San Antonio, TX

OK, here we go...

First of all, stop.
Take a deep breath. And think this one through.

The back is a very complex structure, moves in many different combinations of angles and directions with different amounts of forces. It is an engineering marvel.

I neither know your medical history nor am I an MD, but both my wife and I have had back problems for a long time. She has what you have.

First of all, I would go to a physiatrist who specializes in rehab, and the softer tissues of the body. Let that MD refer you to a physical therapist who specializes in backs. After special exercises including streching, pilates and core work, see how you feel. By the way, are you carrying some unwanted weight? What is your lifestyle like? Do you sit hunched over a computer all day? The physiatrist turned my wife's condition around.

If you are still miserable, then let the physiatrist suggest a surgeon whom he/she would want to operate on him/her. If it was my back, I would want to have only a back surgeon and hopefully one who also has a neuro background. Sports medicine MD are usually on the cutting edge of things...no pun intended

Remember, surgery is last resort. Surgery is always successful in that the surgeon usually gets done what has to get done. Whether or not we get the desired results remains to be seen.

If you can make an acceptable recovery without going under the knife, you are ahead of the game.

I have had two surgeons tell me that although I have a material back problem, I am still not a candidate for surgery. I can live with what I have as long as I am aware of how I move, bend, twist, and lift.

If one plans how you are going to attack the twistees, you can in effect do the same thing with the movements in your daily life.

Take another deep breath.

Mike, have you consulted with a Chiropractor? It might be an entirely differeent approach would relive the pain and correct the misalignment.

In 1997 I was injured in a stupid horseplay accident that moved my shoulder blade, damaged the rotator cuff in my right shoulder, and misaligned a vertebrae in my upper back.

Several shots of cortizone took care of the shoulder, and a half dozen visits to the Chiropractor worked wonders on my back.

I concur with the others who have said "go to surgery as a last resort."

First of all, stop.
Take a deep breath. And think this one through.

I can live with what I have as long as I am aware of how I move, bend, twist, and lift.

If one plans how you are going to attack the twistees, you can in effect do the same thing with the movements in your daily life.

Take another deep breath.

This is very true! When I severely injured my back in 1968, I was 20 years old. I elected to live with my injuries rather than have the suggested surgery. Being young and "tough", I tried to continue to do many of the things I did before and I also ignored the 45 lb. lifting limit suggested by the doctors. As a result, I had a lot of unnecessry pain.

As I aged, I learned what I could and couldn't do with my back. I also lost weight and started do exercises to strengthen my back muscles. It has helped a lot but I will always have pain.

As Clint Eastwood said in the movies "A man has to know his limitations". It took me years to learn my limitations and realize that I have to think about what I do before I do it.

My brother runs his body shop and farms on the side. He frequently strains, sprains or pulls something that leaves him in pain. I asked him why he refuses to take any pain medications. He said God made pain for a reason. His theory is that if he takes pain medication, it will mast the pain and he risks doing more injury to whatever is hurting. If he does something without medication and it hurts bad enough, he will quit doing it and prevent further injury.

This is very true! When I severely injured my back in 1968, I was 20 years old. I elected to live with my injuries rather than have the suggested surgery. Being young and "tough", I tried to continue to do many of the things I did before and I also ignored the 45 lb. lifting limit suggested by the doctors. As a result, I had a lot of unnecessry pain.

My brother runs his body shop and farms on the side. He frequently strains, sprains or pulls something that leaves him in pain. I asked him why he refuses to take any pain medications. He said God made pain for a reason. His theory is that if he takes pain medication, it will mast the pain and he risks doing more injury to whatever is hurting. If he does something without medication and it hurts bad enough, he will quit doing it and prevent further injury.

"It hurts when you do that?........don't do that!" Groucho Marx (MD impersonator)

I have 2 blown disks in the L-3 to L-5 area. I have had cortizone treatment and responded reasonably well to it. My surgeon said that cutting, either by scope or open face is an absolute last resort. She indicated that even with successful surgery I might not have lesser pain or more mobility. I am putting off any invasive procedure as long as I possibly can.

She did state that riding a motorcycle is OK provided I have a full upright posture with no forward lean if at all possible. Stop frequently and loosen up, doing stretching exercises as per the physical therapist. Since then I've switched from a K75RT to an R1150RT. It seems like a good move so far. Besides, the wife likes the new bikes seat and room.

Good luck with yours and make the decision based one main consideration. Will it help and avoid paralysis. You won't ride much of the vertibra shift and pinch the cord while unstable. Do get a second and third opinion then decide.

Y a guy?

Howdy,
I am a gal but I have had two cervical fusions as a result of motorcyle accident and ... well, getting older I suppose. Would I do it again? It's hard to remember the pain that drove you to the decision in the first place so I have my doubts. Since the surgery, I have had five facet injections and two cervical epidurals. Things seem to be balancing out but a big part of that is resigning myself to a certain amount of pain, meds, and numbness in my arms when I ride. I have cruise control on my bike so I can shake my arms out. But it's been a tough hall (took four years to ride again). My advice, do everything you can physical therapy wise before you contemplate surgery. The docs are all wiz kids until after the surgery and then they seem to all say, "oh yeah, that is a side effect of this surgery." Ah shucks, just one of those things you forget to tell people about.

All that said, you might be lucky but I promise there will be some tough times ahead for awhile. Good luck!:wave

17 Days post surgery

Sorry for the delays guys, but I've been out of commission for a while. I had surgery on the 26th of March and from all indications it looks like this was the right thing for me to do. It really was not my first plan of attack but, it was the only remaining thing left to do besides living with back pain the rest of my life and that to me was not an option. I appreciate the many responses that I received and I really considered all that you guys opined. At this point I have a 3-4 month recovery period before I can resume normal activities, so I'm not out of the woods yet. In the mean time the bikes are resting up in the garage and are anxiously awaiting to be let loose.:banghead

Mike,

Please keep us advised. Since future surgery is a definite possibility for me I am certainly interested in how you do. :(

Back