• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K1200GT Problems

samburnett

I purchased a 2007 K1200 GT last month. I traded my R1200RT. The day I picked up the GT, I experienced throttle control problems. The throttle would stick open even though the throttle would roll shut. In addition to that, the power delivery was extremely jerky. It was so jerky that it would upset the bike during cornering. I reported it to the dealer. They had not heard of the problems that I was having. Nothing could be found and at the breakin service and they said that they would update the software that controlled the throttle. They said that the update should fix the problem. Well, it did not fix the problem. The issue became so severe that the throttle would not shut off and I had to use the clutch to control speed. After another week in the shop, BMW of North America told the dealer to replace the airbox. They have replaced the airbox. I have not yet had time to ride it to see if it is truely fixed. To say the least I was disappointed that a brand new $21,000 BMW motorcycle was defective on day of delivery. I wanted to post this message in case others are having similar problems. I sent an e-mail to BMW concerning the situation, they never replied.

I purchased a 2007 K1200 GT last month. I traded my R1200RT. The day I picked up the GT, I experienced throttle control problems. The throttle would stick open even though the throttle would roll shut. In addition to that, the power delivery was extremely jerky. It was so jerky that it would upset the bike during cornering. I reported it to the dealer. They had not heard of the problems that I was having. Nothing could be found and at the breakin service and they said that they would update the software that controlled the throttle. They said that the update should fix the problem. Well, it did not fix the problem. The issue became so severe that the throttle would not shut off and I had to use the clutch to control speed. After another week in the shop, BMW of North America told the dealer to replace the airbox. They have replaced the airbox. I have not yet had time to ride it to see if it is truely fixed. To say the least I was disappointed that a brand new $21,000 BMW motorcycle was defective on day of delivery. I wanted to post this message in case others are having similar problems. I sent an e-mail to BMW concerning the situation, they never replied.

Just had my air box replaced on my 07 two weeks ago. Same high idle problems since the day I rode it home in 01/07. At first the Dealer reflashed the ECU and the pronlem persisted. Then after watching my videos of the idle problem BMWNA authorized the replacement of the air box and IAC. They stated the airbox deforms slightly under heat and causes the IAC to stick. My initial suggestion becuase it behaved identical to a 90s era FORD with a sticky IAC. I have put a 1000 miles on it since and it runs PERFECT now.

Problem Solved?

Originally Posted by samburnett

I have a 2007 K1200GT with exactly the same symptoms. It is scheduled to go to the dealer next week. Did the new airbox fix the problem?

I also sent and e-mail to BMW with no reply.

Just had my air box replaced on my 07 two weeks ago. Same high idle problems since the day I rode it home in 01/07. ... BMWNA authorized the replacement of the air box and IAC. ... I have put a 1000 miles on it since and it runs PERFECT now.

Great, hope this works out for others. I had an airbox problem that developed on a new oilhead a while back. It ran real rish.

I was going to suggest checking the routing of the cable. I recently had some high idle and slow to throttle down issues with my K12RS. I found and issue with the cable under the plastic. Straightened back to proper routing, all fixed.

Problem Fixed!

The software upgrade did not do the trick for me. BMW changed the airbox and finally the computer. The bike is running great now.

If you have a GT with this problem, stay on your dealer. My dealer had three GTs in at the same time with the same problem, and its well known in Germany.

Good luck,

Chris

K1200gt

I have the same issue and have had the bike in the shop 4 times for this in a ddition to a failed EWS. BMW appears to want to bury this problem but I have documentation that others are seeing the same thing. Maybe a lawsuit from an injury caused by this might get the attention from them this matter needs.

Back