• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1200c

weiden

Looking to buy a used R1200C! Wondering which yeras are the best what are the problem years etc.... Any help would be great!!

William Weiden

William,

Go check out www.chromeheads.org. It's devoted entirely to the C. You should be able to find out what you need to know over there. And it's a great bike - I got my CL last September and like it very much!

Good luck!

Cheryl

Hey William,

Check out Chromeheads, for sure. There are even a few listed for sale in the marketplace section. Try the other places, Cycletrader or IBMWR as well. Good luck with the search. I've had my '98 for almost 5 years and 30K miles and have loved every one of them.

Bob

ditto

ditto all of the above.
To answer your question, the only year I have personally heard many negatives about was '98 (first year in the US). after that, there have been a few cosmetic issues from time to time but mechanically they are a very sound bike across the board from the classic to the Montauk to the CLC.

I got my first C, (a '99 black with white stripes) in April of '00. It was totaled by my bro-in-law in Aug of '04 with 71K miles on it and I had absolutely no mechanical problems with it in any way for the entire time. A few cosmetic issues that were easily resolved with some ingenuity. Fast forward a couple of months; I didn't like being without a C even though I had my '98 RT as a back-up. October '04 bought a '00 model drove it a few months, put it up on a lift for some winter customizing. Put it back on the road about mid-March '05 and now have put almost 30K on it since purchase; again with no problems. I think the C is one of the finest bikes BMW has ever produced. :thumb :thumb for the R1200C.

btw, if anyone tells you they are underpowered; the R1200C produces 71lb/ft of torque in the mid range (70mph) the R1100RT produces 72lb/ft in the mid-range(70mph) and weighs ~40lbs more than the C. So decide for yourself; if the C is underpowered then so is/was the 1100RT--NOT!

Chromeheads is definitely the place to go for information on the R1200C. I had a 2000 Montana and loved it. I moved on to the R1200RT because I wanted more weather protection for touring, a larger fuel capacity, greater fuel economy and more instrumentation.

I did not find the C to be underpowered. It is a great bike for riding around town and on longer trips, as well.

If BMW would put the 110 HP hexhead engine in a C chasis, they would not be able to keep up with the demand. I would certainly buy one.

I have a CLC and couldn't be happier. The C and CLC are the only BMWs I can easily reach the ground with. That is why I no longer have my K100RT and K75RT. I do still have my R80RT as it is light and a little lower than the Ks.. I only wish the fuel tank was about a gallon larger. The low fuel light comes on at around 150 miles.

I have a CLC . . . I only wish the fuel tank was about a gallon larger. The low fuel light comes on at around 150 miles.

Click here to see how to extend your range. Be sure to scroll way down the page to the pictures. :) I typically get around 200 miles before the low fuel light comes on since I made this modification.

Just Selling Mine

I've had a 1999 R1200c for two and a half years now and loved it. I haven't had a problem with it at all. The power has been ample for me. The only reason I'm getting rid of it is that I have to buy something more suited for 2-up touring. I tried to convert this bike, but found there isn't enough room for the wife and I. I'm looking at either a CL or an RT. Once I sell, I will be putting some parts up on this site for sale...

Cruzin

BMW Motorcycle R 1200 C or CL Large Fuel Tank 7.5 Gal +

I have a CLC and couldn't be happier. The C and CLC are the only BMWs I can easily reach the ground with. That is why I no longer have my K100RT and K75RT. I do still have my R80RT as it is light and a little lower than the Ks.. I only wish the fuel tank was about a gallon larger. The low fuel light comes on at around 150 miles.

Go to E bay Motors - copy and type the title above. Take a look.

BMW Motorcycle R 1200 C or CL Large Fuel Tank 7.5 Gal +

Chromeheads is definitely the place to go for information on the R1200C. I had a 2000 Montana and loved it. I moved on to the R1200RT because I wanted more weather protection for touring, a larger fuel capacity, greater fuel economy and more instrumentation.

I did not find the C to be underpowered. It is a great bike for riding around town and on longer trips, as well.

If BMW would put the 110 HP hexhead engine in a C chasis, they would not be able to keep up with the demand. I would certainly buy one.

Go to E bay Motors - copy and type the title above. Take a look.

Hi dbear1, Welcome to the forum!
Looks like you have brought up a very old thread. If you have any questions- just ask.
Gary

I had an "04" Montauk with the large version bags. I'm on the larger side @ 6'1" 275. Loaded for a trip it was IMO under powered.

And it just didn't "fit" me...causing a-bunch-o back pain. aftermarket items are few. I bought mine in 2009-10? not sure now...but it had only 485 [four hundred eighty five] miles when I bought. I didn't keep it long due to the above reasons, but tripled the miles. Sold it and got most my $$ back. NoW!?...I wish I had kept it, mostly due to the low miles and "possible-collectability] in the future.

Mine is a 2000, purchased in 2010 with 11.5K on it. Love the bike! I am 6'-0" and 225lb. Have ridden with wife and luggage, no power problems. Only drawbacks for me is the 4+gal fuel tank, chrome rims that pit easily from salt treated road sanding, and not the best for long trips. I would like to get an R12RT for the long trips, but not until I can figure out how to keep the C! Not only is it one of the few BMWs that still looks and feels like a real motorcycle, it's a lot of fun to ride around the area and is now worth more than I paid for it.

1200c

I bought new a 2004 1200c Blackbeauty. Wished I never sold it, it was a fun bike to ride and the power was perfect as a cruiser. I had all the chrome accessories, lights, windshield and it was wonderful. I have a RT1200 and love it, too. But, wished I had kept my Blackbeauty.

Back