• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Navigating Milwaukee 2 Up

ramble

ohbeemer
The long term plan has been to pick up the better half at the airport MKW, then head north to my lodging in Port Washington. Looking at the metro it is daunting to this country boy usually riding solo on his GS.
Can any local riders give me tips on an out of the way route through the metro to my destination? The worst part is, this will be a mid day ride on Wed. or Thurs.
Is this even possible or suicide? Thanks Southern Ohio

Milwaukee traffic is not bad, compared to Chicago which can be a nightmare. A person can drive from the south side of MIlwaukee to the north side in 30-45 min depending on the traffic. To get from Milwaukee airport to the rally site is easy and almost a straight shot.
Time Mile Instruction For Toward
Summary: 39.7 miles (39 minutes)
9:00 AM 0.0 Depart Gen Mitchell International-International Term (West) 0.1 mi
9:00 AM 0.1 Turn RIGHT (West) onto SR-119 [Airport Spur] 1.5 mi I-94 / WI-38 / Milwaukee / Chicago / Howell Avenue / Remote Parking
9:02 AM 1.6 Take Ramp (RIGHT) onto I-94 [US-41] 1.5 mi I-94 / US-41 / I-894 W / Milwaukee
9:04 AM 3.1 At exit 316, take Ramp (LEFT) onto I-43 [I-894] 5.2 mi I-43 / I-894-BYP / Madison / Fond du Lac
9:09 AM 8.3 Keep RIGHT onto I-894 [Zoo Fwy] 4.4 mi I-894 / US-45
9:12 AM 12.7 Road name changes to US-45 8.5 mi
9:19 AM 21.2 Road name changes to US-41 [US-45] 11.7 mi
9:29 AM 32.9 Keep RIGHT onto US-45 5.6 mi US-45 / West Bend
9:34 AM 38.5 Keep RIGHT onto Ramp 0.3 mi Pleasant Valley Road / WI-143
9:34 AM 38.9 At Pleasant Hollow Rd, West Bend, WI 53095, turn RIGHT (East) onto Pleasant Hollow Rd [Pleasant Valley Rd] 0.4 mi
9:39 AM 39.7 Arrive Washington County Fair Park

There is a area for motorcycles parking at the airport at no cost to the owner.

I’d agree that its not to bad for city driving. But if you have not done much city driving it could be a little hectic for you on the bike. If you are going to Port Washington, the speed limit on Hwy43 is 50 mph. Get in the right hand lane and you’ll be fine. There are some that race and use their horns but stay in line in the right hand lane and you’ll move along fine.

If you want to stay off the interstate, Lake Drive is an OK drive, lots of stop and go lights/signs. It will double the time it takes to drive but would keep you at slower speeds if you want to avoid Hwy43. There are some neat houses along there too.

Even in the heaviest traffic during rush hour, I can get from the airport to home in 40 minutes. That's 27 miles, up 94, around 894, and out 94W to Waukesha. If you're running between 9am and 3pm, you'll be at or close to freeway speeds.

Let me know if you want more info, I can PM you.

cheers
chris

No rush hour

There is no "rush hour" here in Milwaukee.

Traffic always moves and even in the HEAVIEST traffic, from the Lake Front to HY 45 Northbound is maybe 20 minutes.

Don't freak out...this isn't Chicago.

do not sweat

Mid day rides in the Milwaukee area are no big deal unless the weather absolutely caves in. This is a far cry from Chicago.

Follow vetbmwrider's directions either on map or GPS, and you will be fine. That route is all slab.

This sounds familiar. I'm taking the bike to the airport to pick my wife up on the Friday, at 6:30 p.m., then heading back to our B&B in Cedarburg. I should be OK with my GPS, and earlier advice about the free bike parking at the airport. Good luck.:wave

Be confident in your ability,etc..

I've ridden in dozens of cities and most recently, L.A. and San Francisco a lot. You'd better be a confident rider and know just how good you are, imo. If you have a ton of doubt, be extra cautious and ride the cities at less than peak hours first. I think a more offensive role, with a certain amount of defense thrown in is a must. Watch your six(mirrors) a lot more in heavy traffic. You are a ton more likely to get run down from behind in cities. A lot of rear enders, I've found! Don't ever get square behind an automobile, to give yourself an out if you need to do a squeeze play to avoid the crush! I always look:D for the gaps to get clear in an emergency and listen very intently to noise around you. Racing engines, tires squeeling the pavement, sirens, excessive horn use by cage drivers, all are a few things that something very near is about to go wrong! Drivers have really bad habits around/in cities and have tendencies to make quick lane changes, ride very closely behind you, talk on their phones a lot and generally pay little attention to bikes and others. Like I said, a healthy dose of offensive riding to avoid the idiots, with a tad of defense will keep you alive and well. CA drivers have been better(in general terms) regarding bikes than other eastern cities if ridden in. A lot of drivers here actually will give space for bikers to split lanes, etc., where other states prohibit this. Splitting is a west coast(mostly) activity and only done with extreme prejudice! Watch out! Keep safe and Happy Trails/Randy13233

I think Polar bear's suggestions are great. Here are some of my in-the-big-city-traffic strategies; Use the whole lane and in an emergncy the shoulder as well. I find that the traffic on the freeways around Chicago has a tendency when it's heavy to crawl, speed up, then stop, then crawl, then repeat ad infinitum. sometimes youve gotta either split the lane at momentarily to avoid them, or go out on the shoulder at least for a few yards.
get up on your pegs so you can see and be seen. wear your reflecto vest or whatever. get ready to practice your slow-riding skills and look out for shoes and ladders and all sorts of crap in the roadway. Plan ahead. look at a detailmap and get familiar w some of the exit street names. get off the expy for a break if it's too much. give it a half hour and it may well clear a bit . if you have a radio listen to traffic reports. 780 am has them on the "8's" all day all nite

Milwaukee Airport

I'm local in Milwaukee and familiar with the airport and the Rally site.

Milwuakee traffic is nothing like Chicago, not bad at all for an urban area. Routing in and out of the airport is well marked and easy to follow - follow signs out of the airport toward downton Milwaukee, not Chicago.

I can route you on city street if you want - but I think the freeway route is probably safer than unfamiliar street traffic.

The freeway route on the last post is good. I think you will not be able to go direct North and East on 94 because of constrution - 894 will get you there. 94 and 894 will be busy, 45 much quieter.

There is free and safe parking for MCs at the airport. I usually ride and fly for a couple days, never a problem. Follow signs into baggage claim, stay left most lane and look left as you approach the end of baggage claim - MC parking is covered area outside the main parking, just across from baggage claim area. Plenty room to load, unload, etc.

Let me know if you need anything else - I can probably steer you you to lunch or sites along the way if you like, or route you up the lake front.

morgen@wi.rr.com
2007 Hospitality Co-Chair

50 mph on HWY 43 north to Port Washington? Where is it ever 50 mph? I know of the section north of the Milwaukee river that is 55 mph, but aside from that the rest is all posted 60 or 65. Anyway, traffic almost always goes at least 60 mph.
By the time you get to Saukville it is all 65 mph and pretty wide open traffic wise.

The only bad section of 43 north is from the 94 interchange (still under construction) and North Avenue to Brown Deer road. Since you are going to Port Washington, in this area just stay in the far left lanes and go slightly faster than the pace of the traffic flow. That way you avoid all the traffic near the on and off ramps.

have you looked into flights into madison? not that much farther from fairgrounds.the roads around here are probably what you are used to.madison is not bad for traveling anytime,except for our beltline,airport is not anywhere near it.if you are interested pm me and i will give easy directions.

Last edited:
Back