• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Flip-Up Helmet Comparison

To SheRidesaBeemer;
I have a Shoei RF 900 and a Caberg and both fit about the same. I also fit well in my Arai Corsair RX7. However baseball caps stay on my noggin while driving my skiff around at 30 MPH also :huh :laugh

Last edited:
+1 on ear plugs. While I was skeptical about them initially (not a good idea not to be able to hear sirens, for example), I'm very much "don't leave home without them" now. Turning the volume down on noise (as opposed to totally blocking it) works for me. And it does take the edge off otherwise excessively noisy helmets.

I wear ear plug all the time. But for my XC country trip, I know I'll want tunes for those long afternoons. I have neither the time nor the inclination to get custom ear buds.
I'm going to test out a pair of better quality ear buds and see if the music is ok or if the air noise wins out.
First I need something other than freezing rain to ride in! :hungover

That's easy: Etymotic ER-6i's. Excellent sound, very low profile away from your ears (matters while wearing a helmet), and excellent noise reduction. A quick check on eBay turned up 15 listings for about $80, Buy It Now.

In the list of sources for helmet, Alex mentioned Louis, a large German chain of after-market motorcycle gear. One of the Berlin stores has a bike strapped down in a wind tunnel of sorts, so you can at least sit on a bike and get some idea of how it sounds while riding. If anyone else does this, I have yet to hear about it.

I just got my MOTORRAD magazine today and as usual, it comes with the regular flyers; Louis, Polo, etc.

The cover page of the Polo flyer has a Schuberth C2 on it and the caption states "Now in all Polo shops - test ride the Schuberth C2 today". Thats a first.

Hmmm... anything about terms and conditions in there? I don't think I've heard of a dealer sending someone out in any helmet, let alone a Schuberth.

BTW, how did you get your Motorrad subscription? I'd like to nail down Motorrad and Touren-Fahrer subscriptions here in the States.

Hmmm... anything about terms and conditions in there? I don't think I've heard of a dealer sending someone out in any helmet, let alone a Schuberth.

Well it is a first and a welcome one. They probably want a credit card deposit. The helmets are labelled as demo helmets. Your best bet is to find a Polo shop near an autobahn and take it for a good long, high speed run...if you want to check for wind noise.

BTW, how did you get your Motorrad subscription? I'd like to nail down Motorrad and Touren-Fahrer subscriptions here in the States.

I get my subscription to MOTORRAD form German Canadian News. They don't carry Touren-Fahrer. I subscribe to Motorrad Abenteuer, Motorrad Freizeit and Reise Ride On! Motorrad, but those go to my Euro address where I pick them up...tour reports don't get outdated.

MOTORRAD Subscriptions in the US. Warning...pricey!

I get my subscription to MOTORRAD form German Canadian News. They don't carry Touren-Fahrer. I subscribe to Motorrad Abenteuer, Motorrad Freizeit and Reise Ride On! Motorrad, but those go to my Euro address where I pick them up...tour reports don't get outdated.

MOTORRAD Subscriptions in the US. Warning...pricey![/QUOTE]

Tourenfahrer does not have a subscription outlet/ distributor in North America. You'll need to subscribe directly with their German office or website, www.tourenfahrer.de. They will accept US credit cards Visa/MC, although that's not clear on the website. It's currently about US$70 per year for 12 monthly issues mailed directly to NA address from Germany. If the website doesn't work for you, email directly Frau Latteman, l.lattemann@pms-abo.de, or fax +49 (0)211 690789-50.

I have the Nolan. Fits me fine. Don't like the external visor as it is noisy when up. I always wear ear plugs. Paid less than $200.

Just ordered the Shoei Multitec from Bob's Cycle Supply. $409.00. No sales tax and free shipping. It's $495 at the local BMW dealer, and tax would be another $50 on top of that.

I'll let you know what I think after I've used it. Should be quite the change from my old TZ-1.

Another opinion on the Multitec.

First ride with it today, about 300 miles. Previously I've been riding with an Arai Quantum II. The Shoei felt great-- seemed lighter than the Arai (don't know the actual weights, easy to find out), very quiet, no neck and back ache after a few hours riding as with the Arai, and I absolutely love the flip front.

The quality of the finish on the Shoei seems a bit better than the Arai, though both are very high quality. It fits me better than the Arai. I don't understand the bit about "American" heads and fit. The Arai pressed against my forehead and gave me a headache after about an hour. Shoei fits better. I know that's personal, but there seems to be so much about Arai's fit that I thought I'd mention it.

Bought mine through Helment City, about $430 with no shipping charge, so I think the price is a wash.

helmets

I like my Nolan N 100 e, and I wasn't aware that it had done well in a helmet test. It seems to be noisy, but that may be more from the aerodynamics of my RS windshield and my high riding position. My only quibble with it is that you can't crack it open slightly for rain riding, although it does not usually fog up. I am still trying to figure out something that I could clamp to the bottom lip of the face opening as a visor stop.

Rinty

I am still trying to figure out something that I could clamp to the bottom lip of the face opening as a visor stop.

What about two 1/4" long strips of that rubber/vinyl coated metal U channel that is normally pressed onto edges. Slip one on the bottom of each side of your faceshield partway from the center. Pop them off when you want the shield to close fully; pop them on when you want some venting.

Just an idea.

flip helmets

Thanks Alex; this sounds like it will work.

Where would you get that channel, and what kind of edges is it normally pressed onto i.e. is it construction stuff, or for automotive?

Rinty

Where would you get that channel, and what kind of edges is it normally pressed onto i.e. is it construction stuff, or for automotive?

Rinty

Now I remember what I pressed that stuff onto...the back edge of the windshield on my Suzuki RG 500 Gamma...that was a long time ago.

I checked the Spaenaur catalog. They had something similar, but not exactly what I was looking for.

Try an auto trim shop.

Last edited:
Contrarian...bought System V in New Zealand

After 6 BMW System IVs over the years..I tried the others but somehow they don't fit my head the same as the System series.

Bought the metallic drk blue Sys V model in New Zealand a couple weeks ago..light, fit light a glove, quiet, great ventilation, wonderful visibility, great in the rain, easy to put on, etc.

But do wish it had the built in sun shade..so I bought an extra tinted sheild instead.

Just ordered the Shoei Multitec from Bob's Cycle Supply. $409.00. No sales tax and free shipping. It's $495 at the local BMW dealer, and tax would be another $50 on top of that.

I'll let you know what I think after I've used it. Should be quite the change from my old TZ-1.

I've got about 100 miles on my new Multitec. I had no idea how tired my previous Shoei was until I started wearing the Multitec. My prior lid was an XL TZ-1 that came with the bike. While I thought it fit fine, when I tried the Multitec on at the dealer, I discovered how snugly a helmet really should fit. My Multitec is a large.

The Multitec has great cups around the ear that seal out wind and engine noise while still allowing room for earphones. The chin bar opening mechanism seems flawless, and of course I'm used to Shoei's face shield set-up.

I've noticed with the new helmet just how unstable the old lid was. Not fitting snugly against my cheeks allowed the old helmet to move around when buffeted by the slipstream. The new lid is firmly in place and all buffeting is eliminated.

Now if I can only keep from dropping it, and scratching the sheild, I'll be a happy guy!

I like my Nolan N 100 e, and I wasn't aware that it had done well in a helmet test. It seems to be noisy, but that may be more from the aerodynamics of my RS windshield and my high riding position. My only quibble with it is that you can't crack it open slightly for rain riding, although it does not usually fog up. I am still trying to figure out something that I could clamp to the bottom lip of the face opening as a visor stop.

Rinty

I ride an RS too, and compared to the Caberg, the Nolan N102 is REAAAL quiet.

I can crack mine open a little bit, but the pin lock anti Fog is the best.

I've been riding with the Nolan about a year, and took the VPS off about 6 months ago. I went out for a ride the other day, and decided, sunny, lets try the Caberg.. i got it on, fastened teh chin strap, and that was as far as I got. Nowhere near as comfortable. Then I had to go in the house because I couldn't remember how to unfasten the chin strap. Got the Caberg off, put the VPS back on the Nolan, and been a happy camper since.

Also with the VPS you can have it halfway down, and use it more like a sun visor than sun glasses.. still look through the clear visor but keeps the sun out of your eyes.

Rinty

Rinty,

Take a look at Autozone or some such...I think it's sold as auto door-edge trim.

Sarah

Back