• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fairing for R1100R

Rtbluestreak

My wife rides a 2001 R1100R and we were wondering if anybody has seen a small fairing that might break the wind somewhat on her legs. She is a small gal and the bike is at the max weight limit for her to get off the sidestand. It would be great if we could find some type of heavy plexiglass type fairing or something similar which doesn't weigh alot.

If it were not for the "which doesn't weigh alot." part I was going to recommend looking around for a fairing from an R100RS. On one of our trips to Top of the Rockies in Paonia, we saw an R1100R with an RS fairing on it. Never got to talk to the owner but it looked like the darn thing fit perfectly with very few modifications other than tucking the oil coolers inside at a slight angle. If you are not familiar with that fairing, here is one of my favorite shots of the R100RS that I took at one of our local gatherings a few years ago.

Attachments

• 100RS.jpg
    100RS.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 371
I STILL think the original R100RS full fairing is probably THE best fairing design ever put on a motorcycle. Best in looks. Best in function. Best in protection.

I am really interested in the new R1200R, and I think an adaptation of the old R100RS fairing would be a fantastic addition to that bike. I have done some fibreglas work in the past, and I would mold in some storage pockets to the insides of the fairing. A short Parrabellum windshield would be good. Some cool air ducts to add fresh air in the cockpit on those hot days.

I still enjoy my 76 R100RS in addition to my 94R1100RS. Part of that comes from being behind that excellant fairing.

In my opinion, BMW should come out with an updated version of that old fairing just for the R1200R. C'mon BMW, give us a modern interpretation of a classic!!

I rode for about 80,000 miles with an Aeroflow on my R 850R--it provides great coverage and it's light especially with the shield and lowers. Worked better than most full fairings I've had.

how was the installation ? did you have to drill anny hole ? Do they come on and off easy ? Are there any funky looking mounting pieces showing when you ride without it ? .i,e summer riding.

I rode for about 80,000 miles with an Aeroflow on my R 850R--it provides great coverage and it's light especially with the shield and lowers. Worked better than most full fairings I've had.

the last questions are for you. I am concidering gettting the aerogard

My wife rides a 2001 R1100R and we were wondering if anybody has seen a small fairing that might break the wind somewhat on her legs. She is a small gal and the bike is at the max weight limit for her to get off the sidestand. It would be great if we could find some type of heavy plexiglass type fairing or something similar which doesn't weigh alot.

Parabellum makes a scout fairing for R1100R
\

Photo of the scout fairing

Scout.jpg
Here is the photo of the Scout fairing mentioned in this post. I am very happy with it. May not do enough for the legs though.

Here's a picture of a the clear aerogard installed, and one of the dual lock that holds them on. No holes to drill, just get the tank really clean and warm and make sure you get them stuck in the right place.

Attachments

• Aero Guards.JPG
    Aero Guards.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 286
Fairings

Hey Darren, thanks for the pictures. That really showed how they attach and it looks pretty solid. Thanks again for the pictures.:clap

Scout Fairing

Hi ,
Just back from a 3 day trip from Ontario to Pennsylvania, Maryland and West Virginia. Great roads! I had set the Tom Tom rider2 to "avoid freeways" and ended up on some great roads.

I have a touring Ztechnik screen and was thinking about replacing it with a Scout Fairing. Its not so much the helmet buffeting but it is the air being sucked up under the windshield that hits me on the stomach etc. A little annoying at 75 mph plus.

Can anyone advise if the scout fairing keeps the wind off your body as well as reduces helmet buffeting?

I am 6 Ft 1" Love my r 1200 r (2007)

As well, I am flying to La on the 5th and was wondering if someone could recommend a bike rental location.

thanks, Brian

View attachment 8365
Here is the photo of the Scout fairing mentioned in this post. I am very happy with it. May not do enough for the legs though.
I know this is an old thread, but I have the exact same setup on my R850r. Arai Defiant helmet, Saeng edging around the shield, seat in the high position ( doesn't seem to matter about the seat height for aero purposes ) The noise is almost unbearable. It doesn't buffet around, just noisy. I've used a Givi fly screen too. Nothing seems to work..for me. Heck, it was even bad with no windshield. When I installed the fairing, originally it had the 18" windshield, wasn't much better. I was looking across the top of that that one. I'm 5' 6" with a 29" inseam. I would rather not go so high as to look through a windshield. I guess my next step is to start playing with add-ons around the sides and bottom.

Back