• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

?

The MOA server suffered a hardware crash last night. A backup was restored. I'm picking up some of the broken pieces now. The gap between the external backup and the crash was a couple/few days. :bluduh

You're lucky, Scott. When the Vintage club's forum was hacked, there were NO external backups. Imagine starting from scratch...

Now I keep 10 images backed up on a rotating basis. It's still not enough, but I can sleep with it.

The MOA server suffered a hardware crash last night. A backup was restored. I'm picking up some of the broken pieces now. The gap between the external backup and the crash was a couple/few days. :bluduh

I'm impressed you got it back up in a matter of hours! :thumb

WTG Scott!!

Thanks Scott....

At least there were good backups! We had a deal at work a couple weeks ago with a crash - no sweat we have backups - ooops they weren't any good! Some blood was shed on that one as it affected one of our major extranets...

Nice work Scott! I also know that Scott has noted what the failure modes where to the Moderators and is already working to stop those.

Well, now I can totally empathize with Scott.

Friday morning I woke up and my server (which I run here at home) was dead.

Turned out the disk had a bad sector on it, apparently in an inopportune spot. No problem, just get a new disk, reinstall the server, then apply my backups.

No go; seems that the bad sector wasn't the immediate problem, but instead caused creeping bit rot. As a result, my backups were no good for the system.

So, I spent the entire weekend and yesterday reinstalling the system over again, then applying all the service packs and patches, then applying the service packs and patches for the various server tools. Then loading PHP, MySQL, PHPMyAdmin and other stuff. Then debugging it all again, because MySQL is now on 5.0 and there are a few "small" changes.

I had internet connectivity Saturday afternoon. I had email on Sunday. Had to manually reconnect various mailboxes to the new user ids created when I reinstalled the server OS. I finally this morning found that I'd missed openning port 53 on TCP for DNS zone transfers, so my web sites and some mail wasn't transferring.

Half of the websites on my server are running; half need to be debugged.

My laptop has to work before I leave town on Thursday, and that includes VPN.

I have not had a happy weekend.

Well, now I can totally empathize with Scott.

Friday morning I woke up and my server (which I run here at home) was dead.

Turned out the disk had a bad sector on it, apparently in an inopportune spot. No problem, just get a new disk, reinstall the server, then apply my backups.

No go; seems that the bad sector wasn't the immediate problem, but instead caused creeping bit rot. As a result, my backups were no good for the system.

So, I spent the entire weekend and yesterday reinstalling the system over again, then applying all the service packs and patches, then applying the service packs and patches for the various server tools. Then loading PHP, MySQL, PHPMyAdmin and other stuff. Then debugging it all again, because MySQL is now on 5.0 and there are a few "small" changes.

I had internet connectivity Saturday afternoon. I had email on Sunday. Had to manually reconnect various mailboxes to the new user ids created when I reinstalled the server OS. I finally this morning found that I'd missed openning port 53 on TCP for DNS zone transfers, so my web sites and some mail wasn't transferring.

Half of the websites on my server are running; half need to be debugged.

My laptop has to work before I leave town on Thursday, and that includes VPN.

I have not had a happy weekend.

Boo. Time for a RAID array?

Boo. Time for a RAID array?

Funny you should mention this. Back at the end of December, you may recall we had one heckuva big rainstorm move through the area. Down here in Santa Cruz, most of the city was without power for a day or so. In spite of having a UPS with a surge suppressor, it blew up my power supply. When that was replaced, I found that my dual Hitachi 250Gb S-ATA drives were no longer a RAID 1 set. It took me most of a day to get one of them fired up and running in standalone mode.

Hmmm... I wonder if that led to a bad sector...??

On the bright side, I got my laptop working with VPN today, and I got an email that my R1200ST had arrived in LA. I fly down there on Thursday, and will forget all my troubles while I put the break in mileage on it, while revisiting my old stomping grounds. I'm gonna ride every road in the Santa Monicas, and then head for the Tehachapis.

Oh, and the weatherman says it's going to be in the high 70s and sunny down there.

Back