• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Battery Tender Plus Question

WETDOG

I know this question has been answered before, but I can't recall which Battery tender to use on my gel cell battery(BMW part,not wesco or panasonic etc..)Thanks for the help

That topic has been hashed and re-hashed in the Oilhead forums. There are two threads on the page for you to read over.

I understand BMW says the BT+ does'nt fully charge a gel battery(95%max)but thats good enough for me anyway...They want to sell their charger too and I understand that. I understand their reasoning,but I don't have to agree with it....Just try to find a wiring diagram/scematic for a newer bike at your dealer(s)...ain't gunna happen.....Just like the marketing genius who thinks they should sell bikes and/or cars at a single brand dealership only. I like my bike, but I've been to some really arogant single brand dealers recently. I've been riding Beemers for almost 30 years, and their gettin' a little weird lately......

LDSRider,
Yuasa sells two chargers, both of which do an excellent job of fully charging the battery types you're concerned with. You can often find the larger one discounted. Here's a link for you.
http://www.yuasabatteries.com/accessories.asp

Update - Caution...the smaller Yuasa charger terminates the charge at 14.8 volts. This is too high for Gel type batteries. Sorry for the previous misinformation.

CM

Last edited:
BMW'S new Battery charger

I just recently purchased the new Battery Tender model for the GEL batteries and here is what I have experienced. My bike an 03 K1200 LTC has the old style battery, but was told by Bmw Of Atlanta that any future replacements would be of the GEL type. They recommended the new charger for Warranty purposes- go figure? Maybe cause it costs $80.00 dollars, but anyway the charger WILL NOT fully charge my battery even after several days on charge. Needless to say I am disappointed with the results as the only way to get my bike to start without hesitation is to have ridden it and let the bike do it's thing. For those of you out there looking for a charger that will fully charge your battery you may want to look elsewhere, either with the old battery tender or a non bmw brand charger as mentioned in the other posts. I am not impressed with the state of the art charger!!

Back