• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Looking for advice - planning NYC to LA trip

P

PHILMOTO85

I've been riding a couple of years now and am about to move to LA from NYC. I have a few weeks in May so I am looking to ride my R 1200 GS out there.

I've picked up a number of books about motorcycle touring and am doing as much studying and planning as I can. I just had the 12K service done on my bike. And am going to try and do some test rides as soon as the weather up here gets a little better.

I'm mainly worried about flats, breakdowns, and the like as I'm not a big gearhead.. yet. and I only have so much time to prepare (not enought time for classes or get an old tire to practice patching on)

Any and all advice is really appreciated.

Thanks

Philippe

I'm mainly worried about flats, breakdowns, and the like as I'm not a big gearhead.. yet. and I only have so much time to prepare (not enought time for classes or get an old tire to practice patching on)

Welcome!

Take your Anonymous book.

And as you plan your trip, use your Anonymous book to call a few folks along your planned route. They'll tell you the good roads to ride, places to stay, things to see.

Stay off the slab. :)

A breakdown is very unlikely, but go to your dealer and ask him if he's got an old wheel/tire for you to practice fixing flats on. Way better than learning to do it on the side of the road.

And... is your bike still covered by the towing plan that comes with the new? If not, you could also consider buying a Platinum Membership.

Ian

mmm Certified pre owned

Yeah I'm waiting for my anoymous bok. and my bike is still covered as I got it certified pre-owned. still under original warranty

I was thinking about doing the lincoln hwy from nyc to around chicago and then 66 to LA

Thanks Ian

Yeah I'm waiting for my anoymous bok. and my bike is still covered as I got it certified pre-owned. still under original warranty

I was thinking about doing the lincoln hwy from nyc to around chicago and then 66 to LA

Thanks Ian

Sounds like a great ride!! I'm jealous. Bring your Anon book, your cell phone, and your credit card. You'll be fine. :)

Make sure your tires have enough life in them to make the trip. Any doubt, put on fresh meat before leaving. Don't try to squeeze the last mile out of your tires, and have to buy new ones on the road.

You didn't ask for route suggestions but here goes anyway.

See if you can check out any of the old Pony Express locations. http://www.nps.gov/poex/

When you get to California, be sure to explore Death Valley. Route 66 takes you nearby, it'd be a shame to miss when you're so close. Having the GS opens up many possibilities there.

Pack a tire plugging kit and a little bitty compressor. If you get stuck in the middle of nowhere, it's nice to be able to patch a tire up and get to town.

Rt 66 Chicago to LA is an incredible ride. I did it in 2003 on a Suzuki SV 650, and will be doing it again in 08'. There are some great books that map the entire route. If you want to talk about it, PM me with your phone#. Have fun!

One of the things I would recommend is stay off the interstate if you can, most of the sites are off the highway. Also don't be afraid to call it a day early.

Back