• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1974 R90/6 front fender

S

SEMUTA

Hello,

Thanks to all for responses to my questions about the fuses (although I suspect the problem is the headlight relay).

When I purchased my bike the front fender was off, and I didn't have the proper bolts and hardware to put it back on. I have recently acquired these parts, but after putting the front fender on (and taking a smoky and smelly test ride) I found that the top bracket is rubbing up against the tire. I guess I should have checked this before the ride. Anyway, I was wondering if maybe the bracket I bought is for a later model, though it was advertised as universal for /5s. Or perhaps the tires are oversized??? Is that possible? Maybe mine was made in the early part of 1974 and they still used the old style bow. Would that work/fit my bike?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

John

If you are able to take a picture, I could compare it with my fender brackets on my 1975 R90/6. Would that work?

What size tire are you running? Too large of a tire could cause this. Should be a 3.25x19 or 90/90x19... Some people try to use a 100 in front, but depending on manufacturer, they can be too wide.

Kurt in S.A.

Last edited:
Yeah, I took some photos, but wasn't really able to show how it rubs against the tire. It's kind of at the corners where it arcs into the fender (does that make sense?), and is mainly on the left side of the bike.

My tire says 100/90X19 . . . perhaps a touch too wide? It was the tire that was on there when I bought the bike, but again the fender was removed.

Maybe that's why the fender was removed??

Well, 100mm converts to nearly 4 inches and if the tire is actually that wide (you could try and measure with a tape measure or use a set of calipers), that's quite a bit more than an inch size tire. The width (either 100mm or 3.25 inches) is really dependent on the manufacturer, but most likely, your tire is 0.75 inches wider than it should be.

Still, you might have the wrong fender, so check that out. But I think you should be using a narrower tire. I have a 90/90 on my '78 /7. Better, yet, get a 3.25 inch tire...they're tough to find...I'm contemplating that next time around.

Kurt in S.A.

The lower fender bracket is the same for /5 and /6. That is not the problem.

He is RIGHT!

I am a /7 pilot and the tire size should be 90/90 and or 325/19, period. The fender rubs anything else. :thumb Randy13233

Me33lr85er

It is exactly 3.5" at the widest part of sidewall. There is .165" clearance betwee sidewall and fender brace. Tire is Metzler ME33, bike is 1974 R90/6 stock.

I tried to get my pinkies between the tire and brace. Could not. My smallest toolkit wrench, 8mm, could just fit between. It is .165" measured with my Starrett dial caliper.

Your tire is too large.

Photo attached, I hope.
Tire-support.jpg

Remember this too

The tire changes shape when it goes 70 mph, too, so at a stop in your garage checking it will show only one aspect/size issue! Better get the right tire in there. The M33's have always been good tires, but there is a better one out there, imo. The 33's don't last very long. Dunlop has the K series tires, which recently changed to another model number. Mine has the Dunlop K491 Elite tires, front and back, which are bombproof and go on and on for miles. Ask your tire supplier what the new Dunlop model is that replaced the famed K491 Elite's. I think they are designated 401's or some similar number today? I've had both the Metzlers 33's and the Dunlops and the later wins, hands down/not even close! Happy Trails

Metzler vs Dunlop

I've had both the Metzlers 33's and the Dunlops and the later wins, hands down/not even close! Happy Trails​

Thanks, Polarbear, I haven't put enough miles to know how they shake out. But my primary concern is for traction - can you comment?

:wave

Back