Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: after 10 yrs....disappointment

srb
    "BMW is wondering how to get younger riders to ride BMW... I know something that will make BMW more attractive. Get ride of the damn computers."

Yeah, because we know the young folks don't care much for computers in their lives.

bpdougd

...nope, just one real key....

Quote Originally Posted by robnye View Post
    Hey now,

A few comments.

First, every new BMW I have purchased came with three keys, two regular keys and one wallet sized spare. Where are your spare keys? That would tell you right off the bat if it was the key or the sensor.
    Actually, not true in the U.S. for new bikes. This is one of my main gripes with BMW. My brand new 2007 R1200RT came with one "real" key and one wallet key. To get a second key with the fancy transmitter you have to shell out $62.00. Give me a break. I pay $20k for a bike and they nickel and dime me over a spare key?

regards
    Doug Dickerson

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by codougd View Post
    Actually, not true in the U.S. for new bikes. This is one of my main gripes with BMW. My brand new 2007 R1200RT came with one "real" key and one wallet key. To get a second key with the fancy transmitter you have to shell out $62.00. Give me a break. I pay $20k for a bike and they nickel and dime me over a spare key?

regards
    Doug Dickerson
    Hey. That's 620 dimes. Or 1240 nickles. Times 100,000 bikes equals how much?
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

bpdougd
    Quote Originally Posted by cjack View Post
    Hey. That's 620 dimes. Or 1240 nickles. Times 100,000 bikes equals how much?
    Yeah, yeah, I know, spend $20k for a bike and bitch about pennies It's the pettiness that gets to me, like one dealer wanting to charge me $5.00 for a couple of metric nuts that I can get at Home Depot for 50 cents. (nota bene: The dealer where I bought my bike gave me some nuts and washers for a set of pegs I bought. So, the dealers vary but BMWNA is a pretty sorry outfit.)

Anyway, my RT is a great bike. I guess one reason I'm comfortable with the higher maintenance costs/burden is that I've owned a number of German cars and understand the inverse relationship between performance and drive-it-and-forget-it reliability. Everything costs something. What varies is the value delivered for the cost and when and how the costs are incurred.

Ride safe.

Quote Originally Posted by codougd View Post
    Yeah, yeah, I know, spend $20k for a bike and bitch about pennies It's the pettiness that gets to me, like one dealer wanting to charge me $5.00 for a couple of metric nuts that I can get at Home Depot for 50 cents. (nota bene: The dealer where I bought my bike gave me some nuts and washers for a set of pegs I bought. So, the dealers vary but BMWNA is a pretty sorry outfit.)

Anyway, my RT is a great bike. I guess one reason I'm comfortable with the higher maintenance costs/burden is that I've owned a number of German cars and understand the inverse relationship between performance and drive-it-and-forget-it reliability. Everything costs something. What varies is the value delivered for the cost and when and how the costs are incurred.

Ride safe.
    A former boss of mine was designing some electronics for one of the big three auto makers. It would have cost them 50 cents extra so it was rejected. That stuck in my mind.
    BTW, my dealer stocks several thousand dollars worth of nuts, washers, and bolts. Most of which are peculiar to the motorcycle and show on the outside, so it matters what you use. They don't sell many per year and they are also a car dealer so it takes some pleading to allow the inventory. When you need a bolt...you need it. Follow your heart on helping your dealer make a couple dollars on this stuff. Seeing it from both sides helps me after spending 35 years in a University where the money didn't have to show a profit and the inventory didn't cost us 6% or more each year.
    Ananother thing...I have seen the big three deny a warranty on a truck with 100 miles past the warranty and I have seen BMWNA warranty a final drive on an '85 K100LT in about the year 1999. In that case the crown gear lost a few teeth. No bearing issues there. NA felt that the weakness was built in the gear from the beginning and they stood behind it. I could go on and on about the goodwill warranties they honor so it they need a few bucks for an extra key and a tool kit that 65% of the owners loose or let rust away (my personal experience for data...ymmv) then hopefully they will put the money where it does more good.
    R1200GS LC Rallye

Quote Originally Posted by SIBUD View Post
    Diagnostic tools already available. Saw it demonstrated at the UN-Rally in Fayetteville, WV this week. Reads fault codes. The mfg is working on reading the data stream as well. Pretty nifty with a USB plug to connect to laptop.

User demonstrated various faults and the ability to erase codes from bike's memory.
    You can expect to see an article on such a tool - the GS-911 in next months Owners News if things keep on schedule (I submitted it about 2 months ago..) http://www.hexcode.co.za/

GS-911 is affordable, works with almost any laptop, and also available in a BlueTooth version, which can be used with a laptop OR a cell-phone if your phone is compatible. It's small enough that when I go on tour I just toss it in my laptop case, this ensuring I'll never ever need it (Eilenbergers Law #4 - Tools.. http://www.eilenberger.net/laws.htm).

I'm a big fan of the CanBus - the only thing BMW missed on it is offering up a switched circuit to power an accessory relay coil... although that is easily made up with the extension a second accessory plug.

Best,
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

Quote Originally Posted by ggfossen View Post
    OK, I'll bite. What does CANBUS stand for?

I'm assuming it's something akin to the new mutil-plex wiring systems being used in semis?? If anything is late being draged into the new world, it's big trucks, and they have had it for a few years, now.

Gary
    Can't tell you what it stands for but can tell you what it does.

There are 4 or 5 computers on the bikes (depending if you have the alarm system). The Canbus system allows these computers to talk to each other over a common wire. This is the 'single' wire that people tend to confuse with the other wiring on the bike.

So the computer that controls the ABS function can pass wheel RPM's to the computer that displays MPH as an example.

As pointed out above, the error codes are stored by the computer and can be read out by a relatively inexpensive reader as well as being reset by the user.

Allows quicker diagnosis of problems.

There are 4 or 5 computers on the bikes (depending if you have the alarm system). The Canbus system allows these computers to talk to each other over a common wire. This is the 'single' wire that people tend to confuse with the other wiring on the bike.

So the computer that controls the ABS function can pass wheel RPM's to the computer that displays MPH as an example.

As pointed out above, the error codes are stored by the computer and can be read out by a relatively inexpensive reader as well as being reset by the user.

Allows quicker diagnosis of problems.
    Also eliminates fuses and circuit breakers.
    Tom

Controller Area Network. The protocol was developed by Intel and Bosch for the automotive industry in the '80s. BMW first used it in the 740. It sends 8 byte messages at a rate of 500K bits/sec using a twisted pair like a phone line with an impedance of around 120 ohms.
    R1200GS LC Rallye

Canni-BUS? definiton?

The other name for Marwhochi or better know as pot, hemp. Once an application is administered it has a tendency to become forgetful.
    Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the mind!
    1995 PD GS
    1995 R1100RS
    Tomos Mopeds

Quote Originally Posted by TomfromMD View Post
    Also eliminates fuses and circuit breakers.
    Tom
    Actually that part has little to do with the CAN bus. The chassis electrics controller (ZFE) acts like a circuit breaker for the circuits it controls. It could just as easily have been designed around fuses.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    Tech articles - YouTube
    Virginia Motorrad Werkstatt BMW motorcycle service and repair in central Virginia

Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft FredRydr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
    The chassis electrics controller (ZFE)....
    Oh no! Not another mystery acronym.

So, I googled "ZFE canbus" and at the top of the list appears a thorough explanation by none other than Anton.

Fred

P.S. By the way, ZFE means Zentrale Fahrzeugelektronik, as if you didn't already know!