• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

after 10 yrs....disappointment

Diagnostic tools already available. Saw it demonstrated at the UN-Rally in Fayetteville, WV this week. Reads fault codes. The mfg is working on reading the data stream as well. Pretty nifty with a USB plug to connect to laptop.

User demonstrated various faults and the ability to erase codes from bike's memory.
You can expect to see an article on such a tool - the GS-911 in next months Owners News if things keep on schedule (I submitted it about 2 months ago..) http://www.hexcode.co.za/

GS-911 is affordable, works with almost any laptop, and also available in a BlueTooth version, which can be used with a laptop OR a cell-phone if your phone is compatible. It's small enough that when I go on tour I just toss it in my laptop case, this ensuring I'll never ever need it (Eilenbergers Law #4 - Tools.. http://www.eilenberger.net/laws.htm).

I'm a big fan of the CanBus - the only thing BMW missed on it is offering up a switched circuit to power an accessory relay coil... although that is easily made up with the extension a second accessory plug.

Best,

OK, I'll bite. What does CANBUS stand for?

I'm assuming it's something akin to the new mutil-plex wiring systems being used in semis?? If anything is late being draged into the new world, it's big trucks, and they have had it for a few years, now.

Gary

Can't tell you what it stands for but can tell you what it does.

There are 4 or 5 computers on the bikes (depending if you have the alarm system). The Canbus system allows these computers to talk to each other over a common wire. This is the 'single' wire that people tend to confuse with the other wiring on the bike.

So the computer that controls the ABS function can pass wheel RPM's to the computer that displays MPH as an example.

As pointed out above, the error codes are stored by the computer and can be read out by a relatively inexpensive reader as well as being reset by the user.

Allows quicker diagnosis of problems.

There are 4 or 5 computers on the bikes (depending if you have the alarm system). The Canbus system allows these computers to talk to each other over a common wire. This is the 'single' wire that people tend to confuse with the other wiring on the bike.

So the computer that controls the ABS function can pass wheel RPM's to the computer that displays MPH as an example.

As pointed out above, the error codes are stored by the computer and can be read out by a relatively inexpensive reader as well as being reset by the user.

Allows quicker diagnosis of problems.

Also eliminates fuses and circuit breakers.
Tom

Controller Area Network. The protocol was developed by Intel and Bosch for the automotive industry in the '80s. BMW first used it in the 740. It sends 8 byte messages at a rate of 500K bits/sec using a twisted pair like a phone line with an impedance of around 120 ohms.

Canni-BUS? definiton?

The other name for Marwhochi or better know as pot, hemp. Once an application is administered it has a tendency to become forgetful.:brow :scratch :wow

Also eliminates fuses and circuit breakers.
Tom

Actually that part has little to do with the CAN bus. The chassis electrics controller (ZFE) acts like a circuit breaker for the circuits it controls. It could just as easily have been designed around fuses.

Back