• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Watt's the Buzz about replacement alternators?

stevenrankin

So there are three companies now making replacement charging systems for airhead bikes.

One of them uses a car alternator installed on the front of the engine.

The others use internal armatures and rotors covered by the front engine cover. The last two require a lot less retooling to install.

So, has any of you all used these products and if so, how do you feel about them?

In regards to buying an oil head bike if I want more wattage, it is not going to happen in my lifetime. St.

I've got an Enduralast on my 84 R100RS, works great. A little involved putting it on. Gives me 450 watts. You'll get similar results from Omega. Hit that search button above and type in Omega or Enduralast. You'll find a number of threads on the subject.

Dave H
San Antonio, Tx

What are you going to be running in the way of lights and accessories?

Not much? Stock system is OK

Headlight always on, highway driving? Stock system is OK

Headlight always on, city driving? Stock system is OK if you also hook up a trickle charger every few days

Anything more and you should look at a higher output alt though you still need to trickle charge as the Omega and Endualast don't really start charging until 3000 rpm.

I have a R100R powered sidecar and I run driving lights, the extra running lights on the sidecar, two heated vests, heated grips AND I do a lot of city driving. I tried the Omega system and, while a significant improvement over stock, in stop and go traffic the battery doesn't get much of any charging time.

I am now using the 880w car alternator system and for the first time ever, the charging light stays out at idle. With most of the above on, it is charging the battery by 1600 rpm. I am happy.

Anything more and you should look at a higher output alt though you still need to trickle charge as the Omega and Enduralast don't really start charging until 3000 rpm.

Don't have the exact details infront of me, but at least for the Endualast, the charging starts down around 2000 RPM. I've found I need the extra watts to run electric vests/gloves etc. On the Enduralast, you also get rid of the diode board, which to me is a big deal.

Dave H
San Antonio, Tx

Plug in your electric vest and turn on your headlight, I think you will find that the battery is not receiving any charge at 2000 rpm.

Plug in your electric vest and turn on your headlight, I think you will find that the battery is not receiving any charge at 2000 rpm.

Do you mean with the stock system or one of the aftermarket? And if aftermarket, which one? Thanks.

I disagree on when charging begins, at least on my /6 with the Omega. Using an installed digital voltmeter, the one on my GPS, and my shop meter, I'm finding that my bike begins charging at about 2200 RPM. It is very encouraging to be able to run after dark with the headlight on HIGH beam, the PIAA's on, Gerbings liner on, and still observe that the battery is charging.

I must be doing better than a lot of other people. On my /7, I can ride all day with the headlight on and a heated vest running (city or highway), and I don't have to trickle charge to get it to start the next morning... or the morning after. The 280 watt charging system on my /7 is offering plenty of "spare" power. I believe the stardard draw for a running airhead with the headlight on is about 130 watts. That technically leaves 150 watts. Of course that is in a perfect world, but a heated vest isn't going to run the stock charging system into the ground and kill the battery.

Mine too!

My /7 seems fine all day long without fail, with the stick unit, BUT. It has gotten tired at nearly 300k on it now and the stock unit is going to be replaced soon. I am interested in this topic, too. I have heard the aftermarket ones are much heavier built, with bigger windings, etc.. This would be a plus for the rest of ones life, I would think. The stock units from BMW are pricey and not competitively priced, imo..The windings are what is failing in my stock unit after all those miles. They have begun to break and I have done roadside repairs, but this is not a lasting fix. I am in CA and the last roadside fix was on my way to "Hudson Bay", Ontario, Canada last July. This is about 4000 miles from home! I did make the repair, with friendly help from a fishing village and some house copper wire, suppied by those folks. The Canadian locals were very helpful with tools, etc.. I made it home to CA after a fun trip through the Maritimes and Vermont for the Big Rally. The alternator held up:D . I am looking for another alternator, hehehe. Randy/Polarbear/13233

Have the Enduralast on my 92 PD. Great improvement, and I agree that it puts out about 350 watts and starts charging at about 2500 rpm. What that translates to is all day running with PIAA's, heated vest, heated grips and cell phone charging... no trickle needed. Great system, and the diode board (in my case 2 of them) makes a great doorstop...:thumb

Mine Too

Polarbear,
Check out Motorrad Elektrik, website motoelekt.com. I purchased a rebuilt rotor for my 78 /7, a few years ago. Price then was about $90 exchange in 1997. Their phone no. is 256.442.8886. He probably has entire alternators since yours is coming apart at the seams.

I'm just over the mountain from you. Ridgecrest.

800 watt alternator kit

I'm the one building airheads with the Australian 800 watt alternator kit. There are over a dozen out there,,mainly G/Ss for the small fraction of hard core riders....with a /7 sidecar rig to be different!

This kit is for the .01% of the market. The Omega and Endurlast will work for 99.9% of a typical beemer rider's needs.

This kit is for those who ride year round in all kinds of weather, in all kinds of terrain. Sometimes 2 up with Gerbing jackets (75 watts each), at night, with all kinds of stuff. They don't want to worry about electrons to power 400 watts of driving lights, heated grips, GPS, MP3, jackets,,,and the bike. No worries about rotors, or diode boards, or stators, or VR. The only spare part they carry is a $4.95 V belt from NAPA. Maybe replace the brushes about every 75K miles...and you get them at any automotive parts house.

Starts charging at around 1500 rpm so it's great for stop and go city riding as well as across Baja or Africa :clap .

No simple to install but not intimidating either..best with the engine out because there is some fittings to install with 4 bolts.

Like I said...REALLY small percent of the market..but it fits where reliability and power are critical. We figure $800 plus shipping for 800 watts is a fair trade.

Last edited:
Some airheads seem to charge OK with the stock system, others don't. My toaster R75 does just fine. My 1980 R100t had electrical problems since new. After fiddling and farting around with extra ground wires, etc. I finally dropped in an Omega, and it does what I need.

To me, the advantage of the Omega installing inside the front cover is a plus. I don't mind the diode board that comes with it, since it's got cooling fins (that the stock board lacks)

My R100 pulls a Ural sidecar, but I don't have any high powered driving lights, just the extra fender lights. I can plug in the electric vest now with no concerns.

I do plug in automatic chargers on all the machines when not in use, mostly to keep them from sulfating.

If I were doing serious night work I would seriously consider the auto alternator conversion, but I'm happy with the Omega, and I know Rick stands behind his products.

pmdave

Got an Omega on my "95"GSPD for over a year now, running heated jacket & gloves, GPS, and XM with booster. No problems. Also did the Valeo starter hsg. upgrade that M.E sells (better glue on the magnets with steel bracket backups)

BT Smith

Back