• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Pac North West - Too good for NASCAR?

S

screwtop

I just caught the tail end of a brief clip on the news. Aparently, NASCAR is exploring the possibility of adding a track somewhere in WA, but there's alot of local opposition. Some of the Latte' drinkers don't want to be invaded by "rednecks" and other "disreputable types" that supposedly participate in and/or are attracted by the sport.

I think they should wise up and embrace the opportunity to have a track and the revenue it will bring. They've got an NFL franchise, and IMHO there's a hell of alot more felons on an NFL field than on a NASCAR track.

They're all scared that they might just enjoy it. Stop in a Starbucks in Florida. Rednecks, bikers, shirts and ties all standing in line like lab rats waiting for a light to go on and a food pellet to drop down a chute. (I know because I'm there too)

So imagine the PBS watching, hot tub soaking, hybrid driving dot-com'rs chuggin brew and cheering for Junior and saying things like "Git r done". Why should those of us who are a little reddish around the collar have all the fun? Embrace your inner Redneck!
:usa

I don't know why NASCAR wants to go there, other than they think they'll draw a million Kasey Kahne and ex-Derrick Cope fans out of the woodwork. Circle track racing has always been pretty small potatoes up there, with just a few tracks at Monroe, Yakima, Spokane Raceway Park, and State Line Speedway, IIRC, so why bother?

Plus, you can't put anything on the west side of the Cascades from Everett to Salem, OR, without being within earshot of a lot of people. So I don't even know where they would put a track if they wanted to build one.

How about a road course in WA. What a novel idea! Left and right turns!!! Shifting more often than starts/re-starts. Hmmmmmm! :doh

How about a road course in WA. What a novel idea! Left and right turns!!! Shifting more often than starts/re-starts. Hmmmmmm! :doh

There are two operating road courses in WA right now......Pacific Raceways (the old Seattle Int'l Raceway) and Spokane Raceway Park. And there's a go-kart track for minibike-roadracing outside of Wenatchee.

Jon,
Are those NASCAR venues as that was my suggestion. :burnout

I listed the circle tracks I remembered from my youth in WA (Monroe, Yakima, Spokane, and State Line), but none of them would hold 200K people like say, Joliet.

Ok, I am now going to admit that I am blissfully ignorant of most things NASCAR.
Probably because they rarely run at tracks where they turn in more than one direction.
Have they ever run at Road America? Gorgeous facility. I'd ride to see the good ol' boys race there.

The left, left, left is a snore for me.

Personally, I would like to see either a Daytona/Talladega sized track or a Bristol sized racing surface. Those are the tracks where I think the best NASCAR racing is. The 1.5-2 mile tracks are boring. Leaders run away and the only way the racing gets close is when race control throws a (phantom) debris caution.

Restrictor plate racing is close. While you might get a group that stretches out a lead, they usually get caught when they start jockeying for position. And the Bristol bull ring. What can I say. Action on all parts of the 1/2 mile even if it's not the leaders.

NASCAR wants a track in the PNW and they want one in the NYC area. My only question for NASCAR is are you going to add to the 36 race schedule to fit these tracks in or take races away from some of those with 2 races.

So Old School

NASCAR evolved from the days when hopped up cars were used in the illegal transportation of bootleg whiskey. That is ancient history. Now days clapped out Toyotas are involved in the illegal transportation of crystal meth and stolen huggies. If NASCAR hillbillies want to get ahead of the trend, they should race Toyots against dot-com millionaires and meth tweekers. The race is the 72 hours of Seattle (eat your heart out Le Mans with your wimpy 24 hours) where every cash drawer in every 7-11 on the I-5 corridor is emptied to preserve this sacred tradition.

The latest of high tech advancements are used in this modern marvel of motorsports - Fuel injection and overhead cams. (them's those bumpy sticks that push the poppets). It is like something out of Buck Rodgers.:stick

NASCAR evolved from the days when hopped up cars were used in the illegal transportation of bootleg whiskey. That is ancient history. Now days clapped out Toyotas are involved in the illegal transportation of crystal meth and stolen huggies. If NASCAR hillbillies want to get ahead of the trend, they should race Toyots against dot-com millionaires and meth tweekers. The race is the 72 hours of Seattle (eat your heart out Le Mans with your wimpy 24 hours) where every cash drawer in every 7-11 on the I-5 corridor is emptied to preserve this sacred tradition.

The latest of high tech advancements are used in this modern marvel of motorsports - Fuel injection and overhead cams. (them's those bumpy sticks that push the poppets). It is like something out of Buck Rodgers.:stick

I think it was Buck Rogers unlike Paul Rodgers.
I'd just like to see more road courses in the season, regardless of location.

when i was about 15, i was very heavily involved with a group attempting to stop the planned building of a drag strip next to a lake i had cherished since i was a young kid. my dad and i and a bunch of other concerned citizens formed a group in an attempt to stop the development. it worked, thank god. that gem would have been destroyed. sometimes you have to see things from a local prospective before you can judge. would you want a racetrack in your backyard??? a 10 minute ride to the hardware store suddenly becomes an hour long bumper to bumper affair, people trying to park in your lawn, drunks invading your downtown on the weekends??? i highly doubt urban seattlites are the ones shooting this thing down.

Hmmm, NASCAR?? Well, I've never been to a NASCAR race and from what I've seen watching clips on TV it is doubtful I ever will. Looks like just a bunch of good old boys going around in circles getting about 0.0 MPG accomplishing not much more than just contributing to the green house affect.

Think I'll go for a cappuccino.:thumb

NASCAR in the PNW ?

If they decide race in the PNW

They'll need to add wiperblades and window fillers to their cars or they'll never complete a race! Why?

My last recollection on electrical gagets is they don't work so well when wet and those million dollars rednecks aren't very fond now, for driving in the rain. :fight

Here's an idea. How bout NASCAR sanctioning a demolition derby on a dirt track. Rain or Shine. They already tear up enough cars on regular tracks in dry weather. So, now here's a chance for the one with the most damage and still runs WINS ! :thumb

Maybe Rainx might help the windshield thingy issue.

:hide

Has anyone ever really proven that a sports team brings more money in than they costs?

Has anyone ever really proven that a sports team brings more money in than they costs?

Good question. What with the stadiums being funded with tax dollars, then they typically are tax free for at least 10-15 years.....not to mention the extra roads to build and maintain, plus extra police on event days, and most of the venders are from out of town, so dollars aren't really going to the local economy. I sure wouldn't want a huge track/stadium around our area, but some of the larger cities are already set up for the volume of traffic that a venue like a track would bring in. Guess I'm one of the "not in my back yard" crowd. :nyah

NASCAR? Weren't they the folks that took over Speedvision TV and pushed off a lot of Motorcycle programing?? You go Washington, you rock!!

Dave H
San Antonio, Tx

Good question. What with the stadiums being funded with tax dollars, then they typically are tax free for at least 10-15 years.....not to mention the extra roads to build and maintain, plus extra police on event days, and most of the venders are from out of town, so dollars aren't really going to the local economy. I sure wouldn't want a huge track/stadium around our area, but some of the larger cities are already set up for the volume of traffic that a venue like a track would bring in. Guess I'm one of the "not in my back yard" crowd. :nyah

You mean it would be worse than all the Amish buggies already on the roads near your house? :laugh

Ok, I am now going to admit that I am blissfully ignorant of most things NASCAR.

Same here, but I'm not complaining.

Probably because they rarely run at tracks where they turn in more than one direction.

The left, left, left is a snore for me.

Yeah what is it with these guys? Do they not know how to shift gears, brake hard, accelerate hard and turn a steering wheel? Or would that be a bit too taxing for them?

And whatever happened to the "stock" in NASCAR?

We're opposed to NASCAR coming to Western Washington for a couple of reasons, but the primary reason is that the International Speedway Corporation (who wants to build the track here) wants $80 million in public tax dollars to build their track.

This track would be used for ONE NASCAR race per year. They have said they MIGHT have other races, and there is a chance that other groups could host events at the track, but as of now NASCAR is only guaranteeing one race per year at a new track.

Then there are concerns about traffic. The proposed site for the track is on the Kitsap Penninsula. To get to the Kitsap Penninsula from the densely populated Seattle/Everett/Tacoma areas requires using either a ferry or a toll bridge. The toll bridge is a long drive out of the way for most area residents. The track would be built along a two lane state highway. ISC has not proposed making any improvements to the highway as part of their proposal.

Once we've finished debating these important topics, we can talk about the intelligence and education level of the average NASCAR fan. But first we have some important questions about public financing of sports facilities that are rarely used except by millionaire drivers and their teams of corporate advertisers.

Then we can talk about why NASCAR cars can't turn right.

Back