• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

proper throttle cable routing?

W

WesPeterson

I'm putting new throttle cables on my '77 R100S - the previous owner put 3" too long cables on previously (the cables he used are for "high bars" which the bike doesn't have - I have standard S bars) and as a result I can't mimic the routing path of the cables because it results in the new (proper length) cables being too short to reach the throttle cable housing. I'm hoping a kind soul could post some pictures and/or descriptions of the path their cables take on a R100S - I'm worried I'll kink the cables inadvertently if I run them along an incorrect path.

Cheers.

I'm worried I'll kink the cables inadvertently if I run them along an incorrect path.

Thats the "key" to installing, not to have them bind or kink,or twist when turning the handle bars.

Basically,from the throttle to the front of the tank area just in front of the handle bars,down behind the triple tree area,look for little welded piece of metal on the steering head (cable stay) that the cable can fit/run through.
Then under the tank along the frame "back bone" to the cable junction box if there is one,and or then split to each carb.
Like mentioned earlier,no kinks/binds. You should be able to go "lock to lock" with the handle bars (left to right),with no pulling on the cables,clutch or throttle.

Back