• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

oil pressure gauge

ISAMEMON

Grammarian no, Rider yes
I have an nos vdo oil pressure gauge that appears to be the same size as my clock in my fairing ( lufmeister)
thought, hey that would be a cool switch out, I dont want to know what time it is , other then its time to ride, but have no idea what sending unit I can use and if a vdo one will fit in the stock placement, looks real stinkin tight and dont know about the threads.
any ideas ???
if the vdo unit wont fit there, looks too big, is there any easy acess point that it will go into ??
is there another sending unit that is smalle rthat will work/fit
( for you young'uns....nos is new old stock....vdo ....is well ..voodoo....no hope for you now if you dont know)

I don't know ... I wanted to put an oil pressure gauge on an old Honda Interceptor superbike that I built for the street, my favourite mechanic said " you really don't want another thing to worry about, do you ? " Just a thought.
Steve

I don't know ... " you really don't want another thing to worry about, do you ? " Steve

:dunno IMHO, KNOWING what your oil pressure is frees you from worrying about it. YWMV.

Isamemon, you might have a relatively easy time doing that. You simply need the proper sending unit for your gauge with the proper thread for your bike. The good news is that AFAIK, motometer, supplier of gauges to BMW, is owned by VDO. Or maybe even your BMW has VDO gauges. With any luck, you can buy a "Y" sending unit that will send both to your OEM oil pressure light and to the gauge. If that isn't possible, you'll have to either give up your idiot light, or do some plumbing to add the gauge sending unit to the mix.
As for the sending units, chances are good you can find one with the proper size and threads, OEM supplier and all that.

I have a link, somewhere, to the mother of all VDO distributors. I'll see if I can find it.

More: This was the place I was thinking of, but you may have a hard time finding a knowlegeable human to talk with. Maybe a better source of information would be found here. Info you'll need to speak VDO-ese: Model/Serial number of your gauge and thread size and pitch of the sending unit recepticle on your bike.

Oil Presuure sender, etc.

Just get the correct range sending unit, and a 45 degree elbow (for the RS fairing). I've used this set-up for 18 years. At the 12 year mark the sending unit started to weep, easily replaced, still works like a charm. VDO threads were perfect mate.

Back