• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Spline Grease

ShadesGuy
Hi guys I have just disassembled the swing arm on my 93 K75s for the first time and have found the splines in good shape (32,000 miles) but they are dry. Anyone out there know what I should use for lubing the splines.

Thanks Alan

Paul Glaves drove a K75 over 300,000 miles. Last seen he was at the winter meeting of the MOA. I bet he will drop by soon and give you a definitive answer.

One that seems to hold a good deal of favor is the Honda Moly 60. I have personally used Dupont Krytox hi temp (and hi $) due to some compelling test results.

There are probably several others but both of these are readily available
and should keep your splines in fine shape.

I use BMW #10 grease and do a spline lube everytime I put on new tires. This results in an every 10000 miles or so lube job on the average.

Many recommend using a molybdeum grease, like Honda Moly 60 to do the splines. This is probably a better grease for this purpose than the BMW #10, but I am of the opinion that the frequency of doing the lube is more important than the grease used. If you plan on going longer intervals between lubes ( 20,000 miles or more) the quality of the grease takes on an added importance.

I bought my current "88 K100LT with about 40,000 miles on it. It had been used to pull a trailer. The splines were shot when I checked them at 50,000 miles. I don't know if the problem was inadequate lubrication, or the use of a trailer. I ended up buying a low mileage driveshaft, swingarm, and rear end off a wrecked bike for around $250. I have used BMW #10 since then with no visible degradation of the splines.

This topic should generate several differing opinions about spline lubrication.

Paul Glaves drove a K75 over 300,000 miles. Last seen he was at the winter meeting of the MOA. I bet he will drop by soon and give you a definitive answer.

Not attempting to speak for Mr. Glaves, but he put this up a couple of weeks ago:

Driveshafts on Monolever K Bikes: I originally pulled the final drive and relubed the rear splines on the driveshaft every second tire - when I was getting 8K to 10K per tire. When I went to ME 880 tires giving 14 to 16K per tire I started lubing the driveshaft rear spline every time the wheel was off for a new tire. Every 20K is good enough - but every 30 or 40K isn't.

I use a moly paste for splines. Honda Moly 60 is OK but dries out faster than I like. I mix it 50-50 with a Stalube moly grease. This gives good anti-corrosion characteristics, an EP grease, and about 30% solid moly by volume.

The rest of his two replies are here:
http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showpost.php?p=181678&postcount=32

and here:
http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showpost.php?p=181687&postcount=33

Great stuff. If he decides to ever write a K-bike book, I'll be first in line to buy it...

Thanks for all the great info. I was able to get the BMW #10 at the dealer in London ON and even remembered to pick up a spare clutch cable. Should be good for a while. My 93 K75S has only 32,000 miles on it so far and my intention is to wear it out. From the looks of things it mat last longer than I will...

Thanks again
Alan

Thanks for all the great info. I was able to get the BMW #10 at the dealer in London ON and even remembered to pick up a spare clutch cable. Should be good for a while. My 93 K75S has only 32,000 miles on it so far and my intention is to wear it out. From the looks of things it mat last longer than I will...

Thanks again
Alan
See if you can return the #10 - it is NOT a good lubricant, and whatever the dealer had was "old stock" - BMW recalled it all about 5-6 year ago. Then go to the Honda dealer and get the Honda Moly60.

#10 was a mistake by BMW-NA - one they bought a lot of and being BMW - they didn't want to admit that it was a mistake. In hot weather it turns to a liquid and will disappear off your splines. It also contains no extreme pressure component at all - making it a very poor choice for this application.

Or not - it's your bike..

My 93 K75S has only 32,000 miles on it so far and my intention is to wear it out. From the looks of things it mat last longer than I will...

Thanks again
Alan

If you ride 10K a year your will need about 30 years to wear it out. By then it will be a collector's item and you can sell it for enough to buy a new bike.

Honda Moly 60 is OK, but 60% moly is drier than desirable and has less anti-corrosive characteristics than I personally like. I mix it 50-50 with Wurth 3000 sticky green grease and the results are outstanding.

Sources of good moly paste products similar to the Honda paste ar www.tsmoly.com and www.guarddogmoly.com.

spline lube

After much research, I use Loctite 51049 Moly Paste. It is 65% moly and supposedly good up to 750 degrees F. I got it from smallparts.com. Like most Loctite products grossly overpriced at $25.00 for an 8 ounce can. It has great stickiness.

Spline lube suggestions

I did a rear main oil seal and clutch replacement on my 97 K12RS this winter and, in the process of reassembly, lubed transmission output shaft & final drive splines w/ never-seize BMW part # 83239407830.

For the transmission input shaft & clutch I lubed the sliding surfaces w/ Castrol Optimol Paste TA, BMW part # 18219062599.

Glen M.
Hampton, ON

Dupont Krytox GPL-105

I just happened to buy some Mercedes Sunroof grease which supposedly is rebranded Dupont Krytox GPL-105. I needed to lube my sunroof. Will this work for input splines as well?

I just happened to buy some Mercedes Sunroof grease which supposedly is rebranded Dupont Krytox GPL-105. I needed to lube my sunroof. Will this work for input splines as well?

No.

Check Beemerboneyard for spline lube

:dance:dance:dance

Spline lube

When I was at the factory service school our instructor recommended the Wurth SIG3000 over the BMW #10 and the old staaburag that BMW used to use. Been using it for years with no evident wear.
Cleaning and re-lubing with every tire change is a good interval. Also use it on clutch splines.

NO! The M-B sunroof paste has no moly/extreme pressure qualities... you'd be better off using generic C/V joint grease than the sunroof paste, for sure!

Back