Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Spline Grease

Spline lube

When I was at the factory service school our instructor recommended the Wurth SIG3000 over the BMW #10 and the old staaburag that BMW used to use. Been using it for years with no evident wear.
    Cleaning and re-lubing with every tire change is a good interval. Also use it on clutch splines.
    Boxerbruce

Quote Originally Posted by brio View Post
    I just happened to buy some Mercedes Sunroof grease which supposedly is rebranded Dupont Krytox GPL-105. I needed to lube my sunroof. Will this work for input splines as well?
    NO! The M-B sunroof paste has no moly/extreme pressure qualities... you'd be better off using generic C/V joint grease than the sunroof paste, for sure!

The reason I ask is because of threads like this one mentioning krytox as being a flourinated and superior alternative to molybdenum grease. https://advrider.com/f/threads/final...ne-lube.66868/

https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/product-p/lube477.htm

This is a good choice, click on the technical specs tab to read the moly content. Not cheap, but if you do it yourself it's cheap considering a dealer would charge $200.00 for the job. Chunk.

Quote Originally Posted by brio View Post
    The reason I ask is because of threads like this one mentioning krytox as being a flourinated and superior alternative to molybdenum grease. https://advrider.com/f/threads/final...ne-lube.66868/
    I only read part of this thread but some of the opinions are nonsense. I don't know about flourinated krytox but molybdenum disulfide (moly) is a well proven spline lubricant for splines.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

We used Paul's suggested 50/50 mix on my son's K1100RS. I think that stuff will last longer than the motorcycle itself.
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2016 R1200GSW

R1200 Wethead Splines

Good stuff!

As a newbie to BMW's this thread peaked my interest; primarily due to all the stories I've heard about drive shaft failures.

Is lubing splines during tire changes (or every other) necessary for wetheads too?

Note: I'm riding about 25,000 miles a year most of which is freeway, but take the occasional trail runs when possible.

Also, I'd be performing this work myself; any suggested DIY threads out there?

Thanks in advance.

Rick
    Last edited by 98lee; 10-30-2018 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Added Wethead to title

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheeltraveler View Post
    Good stuff!

As a newbie to BMW's this thread peaked my interest; primarily due to all the stories I've heard about drive shaft failures.

Is lubing splines during tire changes (or every other) necessary for wetheads too?

Note: I'm riding about 25,000 miles a year most of which is freeway, but take the occasional trail runs when possible.

Also, I'd be performing this work myself; any suggested DIY threads out there?

Thanks in advance.

Rick
    "This is especially true if you do a lot of deep water crossings, ride in the rain often, or just put on a lot of miles. There have been cases of corrosion in the FD on several bikes, though not a large number by percentage, and even a failure of the FD splines on one bike due to corrosion"

I'd be more concerned about water intrusion from a poorly seated rubber boot.

Here's how to lube your Wethead's splines
    I'd use what is recommended above vs. the grease shown in the pictures, but YMMV.

and now back to the regularly scheduled posts...
    1995 BMW K75s - 100k and climbing!
    2007 BMW R1200RT - 62k
    2009 BMW G650GS - 22k and ready for Alaska!

Quote Originally Posted by drneo66 View Post

Here's how to lube your Wethead's splines
    I'd use what is recommended above vs. the grease shown in the pictures, but YMMV.

and now back to the regularly scheduled posts...
    I agree. The Sta-Lube Moly Grease pictured contains no more than 5% moly by volume - probably 3% or so. The stuff we have been talking about from Guard Dog, and my chemistry-set mixture, are 30% moly by volume and very thick. The Sta-Lube (which I have in a grease gun) is neither thick nor sticky but is OK in applications like ball joints and other sealed chassis points. Honda's latest and the Enduralast stuff are both 70% moly. I think that makes it too dry and not sticky enough but opinions vary on that, and for sure it has enough moly content to be a real moly lubricant instead of one in name only.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I only read part of this thread but some of the opinions are nonsense. I don't know about flourinated krytox but molybdenum disulfide (moly) is a well proven spline lubricant for splines.
    It's obvious. Flourinated stuff is supposed to make your teeth stronger and help prevent cavities.
    Boxerbruce

were do you guys buy that Wurth SIG3000?
    thanks
    Last edited by sonnyb; 11-08-2018 at 10:30 PM.

In the last month I searched all over, talked with Wurth by email (they were no help), went to CAT and Kenworth dealers/shops and no luck.

Got a life time or two or three supply, one tube, from MG Cycle like Paul had said carried it. Expensive but......................... mgcycle.com

GD
    (New to me) 2010 R1200RT after HD Electra Glides for 35 years

thanks Gillie Dog,just ordered it,
    Last edited by sonnyb; 11-08-2018 at 10:51 PM.