• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ok need an opinion

TIGINBNA

Coming to your area soon
Hello all you oilheaders out there I am going to give a "hypothetical" situation, then I would love to hear opinions from yall.

A person "man" who rides year round utilizing Gerbings, buys his riding partner "woman" a set of Gerbings as well. (He 95 1100gs, her 99 F650) When plugging in "woman" to her bike, they blow the fuse in the accessory outlet. When changing said fuse (a GBC type, huh?) they realize that the last person to change said fuse, had made the holding cylinder so out of round the cam would not fit into the slot and will no longer work as a fuse holder. Now here is the question. Should they (A) Find and purchase a new GBC type fuse holder (proving hard to find), that he has only found at the local BMW place for 10 bucks but is "original"(is it an original part?), ooorrr Just go ahead and install a blade type fuse holder (or glass, thats not the issue) that can be found anywhere, any time, truck stop, 7-11, big box store, baaps, etc for 2 bucks with fuses.
Doing the work is not an issue, it is a simple wrench. So my question is..... Which would you do and why? No right, no wrong, no judgments. Just which would you do and why.

Thanks

Tig

I have no idea why you're using GBC fuses to begin with, so I can't really say. Everyone I know has a spade-type fuse holder inline with the power lead, or else takes power from the fused accessory socket.

Blade type fuse, replacements would be easier from any auto store and department grocery store with an automotive section should the need arise.

The GBC fuse is what was on the bike when the "new to her" bike was purchased. But does not mean it was on OEM part,... right? And it was the lead to the accessoery outlet we are talking about.

Tig

No Oilhead I'm familiar with have a stock fuse in the wiring leading to the socket. Just rewire things the way you want them. No one's going to take the bike away... :)

I'd also try the woman's Gerbing's on the man's bike to make sure the new clothing is correct. My riding friend had a new glove that would blow the circuit and it took a few fuses to troubleshoot

Thanks Paul, yeah that was the first thing I did. My GS, by the way, has a blade type fuse in that place.

Thanks

Tig

Back