• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ted Simon in Wisconsin

jshuck

I'm on Ted Simon's email list and it appears that he will be coming to the meet in Wisconsin. Ted was the author of Jupiter's Travels back in the 70's, probably the first account of a motorcycle adventure. He took 3 years as I recall, to circle the globe on a Triumph Tiger Twin. He later did it again about 8 years ago on a airhead GS. Classic Bike was doing montly reports from him. We first met on the Brit Iron list when I lived in China. I asked if he would speak at a Chowderhead meeting in NYC. He accepted and even stayed at my house for a few days. He was at the Rhinebeck meet and we got to meet up again.
One of the best stories he told was about a group of people he met while stranded in the African desert. These folks didn't have two sticks to rub together, but they put him up for a few days. When he was ready to leave, they had taken up a collection for him. He was overwhelmed of course, but did not want to refuse this kind jesture. He also remarked that repairs were really not that difficult on the road. If the road was really bumpy with big pot holes, etc. There was always a guy beside the road with a arc welder. Ted must be in his late 70's by now, but is planning another trip with a GS 650. You won't want to miss meeting him.

Now that sounds interesting, very interesting. Does he have a current web page or any books in print? I hope he makes it to the rally.

Paul, He's an interesting guy to talk to....listen to. He was at the Ohio Ralley back in 82 I think....
Good Lord! That's 25 years ago....

Mac

Paul, He's an interesting guy to talk to....listen to. He was at the Ohio Ralley back in 82 I think....
Good Lord! That's 25 years ago....

Mac

...Rhinbeck also I think. Interesting indeed and the books are well worth the read. A great example for those who want to tour but believe that they need some massive and expensive machine to do so. Simple by choice indeed. -Bob

Crusty,

Good info. Encourage him to come.

Went online and the local library had two of his books. Was able to reserve the latest and will be picking it up today. Now the search is on for that CD.

His adventures should make a great rally article. His website has samples from his books. The website has an email link. If the rally is fortunate enough to have him come perhaps he could present and sign a few books. He could inspire another generation of riders.

Attachments

• simon.jpg
    simon.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 108
Leaving for Florida tomorrow to see grandson and take in some of the Daytona scene. Leave me some coffee and save an XL rally teeshirt B Cubed.

Picked up book #1 and will be reading it on the way to Florida. Chapter 1 starts off in India. I lived in India for two years and so far he has caught the essence of India - perfectly.

I hope he gets to the rally. He probably has more tales to tell than a pound full of puppies. (pun and misspelling intended) :laugh

I've met him twice and listened to his lectures. He's amazing and should not be missed! If you haven't read his book Jupiters Travels, you should. It has to be one of the best, if not THE best mc book written.

I just finished Jupiter's Travels for the second time. This thread reminded me to order Riding High from the bookstore, the library didnt stock it.

Back