Thread: TEXAS whats to see

screamineagle

TEXAS whats to see

and where to go?

I plan on going to Daytona for the beginning of bike week. Then onto Texas along I-10 to the Alamo at San Antonio. I am wondering what is of interest in Texas between Huston and San Antonio. I was thinking of taking two/three days to get to the Alamo. Then site seeing traveling east. I believe that I read a post about a good mc road in Texas but I can't find it. I remember it said something about being cold and I'm wondering if March is a bad time to ride there.

Looking at the map, it looks like there are State parks near Hunstville and Lufkin. Someone from the great state of Texas must have some advice. I'm not pressed for time but I don't want to be away tooo long either as my wife doesn't travel with me.

Thats right, this will be one bike with one rider, camping all the way.

Full timr RV'er, where we park is home. No fixed address or location.
    You might give these roads some thought in the San Antonio area (hill country)

From Ride Texas Mag - Top 10 scenic roads (Texas):

FM 337, Medina - Hill Country
    FM 335, Camp Wood - Hill Country
    FM 1431, Cedar Park - Hill Country
    Willow City Loop - TX 16 - Hill Country
    FM 336, Leakey - TX 41 - Hill Country
    DEFINITION OF A VETERAN A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
    Author Unknown

dinandan

Hope you have a great time in Texas!

Howdy,

I travel From Houston to Longview, TX on a regular basis and have found several great roads in east Texas. I love riding through the Davy Crocket National Forest and the Sam Houston National Forest. I try and ride over Lake Livingston and Lake Conroe whenever I can. The refreshing air over these lakes is a real recharge for me.

If youre riding South of I-10 try to run along the coast. There is a road that runs right against the beach from Free Port to Sabine Pass. If you pass through Galveston and like history check out Sea Wolf Park. (A submarine and battleship are on display there for tours.)

Definitely check out the Texas Hill Country. I cant wait to go back there!

Check out this website for some other great MC Roads...
    http://www.motorcycleroads.us/tx.html#pl

As far as the weather goes I think March is one of the best times to Ride in Texas. Its just starting to warm up. The highs for Longview this week are in the 70s.

Have a great trip.

Dan,
    1983 R80RT
    Longview, TX

And, if you extend your trip Big Bend Country awaits a short day's ride west from San Antonio . . .

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador Emeritus / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million 100 thousand BMW sMiles

Rally Rat

Ride Davy Crockett

Also, you might consider following the approximate path of Davy Crockett, through Texas to the Alamo. You would need to go north of Houston to Milam, on the TX-LA border, and follow highway 21 SouthWest....that is El Camino Real....until you get to Midway. Then follow OSR (Old Spanish Road) around Bryan/College Station to rejoin with 21 further SouthWest, and follow 21 to San Marcos. Then, on down I35 into San Antonio. A neat ride, and kind of special to think of all those who took that approximate path before you.

Enjoy.

USERNAME
    i'd recommend that instead of spending a few days getting to san antonio from houston, that you instead spend only the remaining 2-3 hours on I-10 that it requires. *then* spend 2-3 days riding in the texas hill country. a great destination is leakey, texas. from there you can do a bunch of really fun rides, hang out along the frio river, and in general just enjoy yourself. the terrain is varied out there with lots of vertical and super pretty landscape.

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
    i'd recommend that instead of spending a few days getting to san antonio from houston, that you instead spend only the remaining 2-3 hours on I-10 that it requires. *then* spend 2-3 days riding in the texas hill country. a great destination is leakey, texas. from there you can do a bunch of really fun rides, hang out along the frio river, and in general just enjoy yourself. the terrain is varied out there with lots of vertical and super pretty landscape.
    I fully agree with the Hill Country....but just to clarify, the ride from Milam to San Antonio is only about 7 hours. YMMV.

screwtop
    Personally, I've always wanted to visit the SRV memorial in Austin, TX just to get my picture taken next to the statue of one of my favorite guitar heros.

screamineagle
    thanks alot guys. I'm getting excited. I even feel like skipping Daytona and just go to Texas. But I am meeting several friends there in Daytona so I will do 3/4 days there first. I'll reprt to you when I get back.

Thanks again

Bill